• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Valley Pan

Ronniekav

Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
I purchased my 73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (400ci, 727) 2 weeks ago. About 30 minutes into driving it home I sprung an oil leak with alot of smoke and an oil spray on my wifes windshield as she was following me at the time. I finally got around to pulling the intake off expecting to find the seal on the valley pan had failed and much to my surprise there were two cracks in the valley pan. The previous owner also used black rtv that I was able to rub off with my finger. I suppose am I am relieved that I most likely found my problem but I am curious to find out if anyone else has experienced this or had an idea of how this could happen. Any insight or suggestions on reinstalling the valley pan would be greatly appreciated.

DSC01337 (640x480).jpg

DSC01336 (640x480).jpg

Yikes! I would be more worried of what caused it? Excessive heat maybe?

My guess would be it was put on that way.

Maybe the previous owner dropped the manifold on it and was just too lazy to replace it?

looking at it,the pitting on it would indicate it was quite old.prob been on and off several times by prev owner,hence the rtv.just replace it with a new one and forget about it.nothing in the eng could cause that.

The factory put a large piece of insulation under the intake and on top of the valley pan. This wasn't just for noise dampening. It also dampened the pulsations to the valley pan from the pressures generated by the engine. The engine creates pressures in the crankcase and even tho most are vented by the PCV, not all of it gets out and the weakest place is the valley pan. Also, if you have a lot of blow by, the PCV won't be able to keep up with all the pressure. How many miles are on the engine?

Now if they just made insulation for solid roller lifters! :)

cranky said it all,eggsackly what i was thinking.

The factory put a large piece of insulation under the intake and on top of the valley pan. This wasn't just for noise dampening. It also dampened the pulsations to the valley pan from the pressures generated by the engine. The engine creates pressures in the crankcase and even tho most are vented by the PCV, not all of it gets out and the weakest place is the valley pan. Also, if you have a lot of blow by, the PCV won't be able to keep up with all the pressure. How many miles are on the engine?
thanks for the response Cranky. I was told there is about 40k miles on a rebuilt engine.

The rockers are probably making more noise than the lifters are.....

can't believe theres complaints on roller rocker noise....remember guys it wasnt that long ago ( if your above the age of 40 ) we'd all kill to have that sweet beautiful noise...kind of a prestiege thing......remember????....lololololololol
Cranky and 67 Coronet are absolutley right....the valley pan should mic out around .067...looks as if that had been used a few times....Replace it save your self the headache

Here ya go Ron 73

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_nkw=mopar+valley+pan

Thank you there Poppa Smurf, That will work bud... I had to tend to a PM and seen this.. Thought maybe id find a used one but seeing what can happen, a new one might be the way to go! Thanks again.

I still needed this link there Poppa Smurf, but i deleted the post due to wrong facts about the problem im having with tach numbers which doesn't belong here anyway, Thanks again, My bad!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back