• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar SS designs and the round spokes.

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
When I bought my car it came with Cragar SS rims and it looked awesome.
Now they did have some rust spots so my plan was to buy new ones (7" front, 8" rear).
Sold the old rims and got a brand new set.
Perfect chrome...but they didnt look quite right....

In this pic you can see my old rims in the rear and new ones up front:

330038799_3361514564107046_153578394690998358_n.jpg

Later I found out that the design on the Cragar SS had changed two times like this:

CragarSS_variations.jpg

So after a lot of hunting I managed to find the old style round spoke Cragar SS rims again.
Lucky that the american car hobby is big in my country.

IMG_20231106_104459.jpg

Here is the interesting part, when balancing them, the guy that did it had a lot of trouble balancing the brand new rims......but gave comments in how easy to balance the old round spokes was.
(Same place, same guy, same machine)

Looks familiar. I like it. I have old style Cragars that I bought used in the mid 80's when I was a kid. Been on my Charger since.

20230816_211340.jpg

jpeg-imag.jpg

When I bought my car it came with Cragar SS rims and it looked awesome.
Now they did have some rust spots so my plan was to buy new ones (7" front, 8" rear).
Sold the old rims and got a brand new set.
Perfect chrome...but they didnt look quite right....

In this pic you can see my old rims in the rear and new ones up front:

View attachment 1553029

Later I found out that the design on the Cragar SS had changed two times like this:

View attachment 1553030

So after a lot of hunting I managed to find the old style round spoke Cragar SS rims again.
Lucky that the american car hobby is big in my country.

View attachment 1553031

Here is the interesting part, when balancing them, the guy that did it had a lot of trouble balancing the brand new rims......but gave comments in how easy to balance the old round spokes was.
(Same place, same guy, same machine)

I'm an **** bastard about these things but to be honest I cant tell the difference in your first image.
Me thinks you're over thinking it. They all look good.
People just don't look at the rims, they look at the whole package. Most people these days will come up to you and tell you what an awesome Mustang you have, especially in Europe.
Beautiful Charger BTW.

Last edited:
I have been a fan since the 70's. I would need to buy a whole new set so they all matched. I did that with a set of Rally's just so the Argent would match.

20230804_123242.png

002.JPG

I'm an **** bastard about these things but to be honest I cant tell the difference in your first image.
Me thinks you're over thinking it. They all look good.
People just don't look at the rims, they look at the whole package. Most people these days will come up to you and tell you what an awesome Mustang you have, especially in Europe.
Beautiful Charger BTW.
Funny, my dad said the same thing.
And I guess I was used seeing the round ones.

Though the round ones has more "depth" to them in a way. When you do see it there is no going back.

I just sold a rusty round set and the guy buying them told me he had been looking for the old style for a long time.

I'm kind of partial to Cragars as well, got a set on my Bee.

P1010006 (2).JPG

If U bought Cragers in the last 5 years...
Check each wheel carefully for cracks..
When they went to China multiple defective casting issues surfaced..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Funny, my dad said the same thing.
And I guess I was used seeing the round ones.

Though the round ones has more "depth" to them in a way. When you do see it there is no going back.

I just sold a rusty round set and the guy buying them told me he had been looking for the old style for a long time.
Follow the old guy wisdom my son.
While we aren't pretty faces anymore we still know a thing or two about a thing or two. :)

If U bought Cragers in the last 5 years...
Check each wheel carefully for cracks..
When they went to China multiple defective casting issues surfaced..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
Glad I got an old set and sold my new ones.
Have also red horror stories about rust showing up quickly.

Looking for a set of 15x7's locally and finding it hard to find any decent ones! This is the only wheel other than the Magnum 500's that would look good on my '67 GTX

thumbnail3.jpg

Geez you're a bundle of laughs. Post some photos of your car so we can critique.

Auto Transport Service
Back