• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crappy BF Goodrich'

The newer tires have an antiozone added so they will turn brown, and last longer before cracking. It is a pain especially with white letters but all my Michelins are doing it too, non water base tire dressing also speeds it up. Not saying what to use just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure I believe that.

25 years ago tires lasted years and years. Decades, even.

Today's tires crack and bust belts in just a few years whether sitting or in use on a vehicle.

Those Goodyear tires are closer to 40 + years old.
Why do people buy the BFG ? Simple. You have always been able to buy BFG T/A tires non stop since the 70's and they are radial tires.
The tire hit the skids when Michelin purchased BFG and Uniroyal in the 80's. They started to use the cheaper Uniroyal steel belted green tire and put it in the BFG tire mold. Uniroyal inside, BFG outside. Lower quality tire.
Bias/belted Polyglas GT tire was discontinued in the late 70's.
Now only high dollar reproductions available.
Just like originals, hard ride, poor traction.

I'm pretty sure BFG TA's are now made by Coker.

...and they're CRAP.

...but "the look" still sells.

My convertible has had BFG TA's on it since the early eighties. Agreed they have a great look to 'em. The only gripe I have is that after the car sits for a few weeks at least one of the tires gets a flat spot in it but it does eventually go away. Question - what other good options are out there?

IMG_20181012_191814887.jpg

I’ve had BFG/TA’s on my current ride and the one I had before. Never had any issues with them; but my car doesn’t get driven much. I’ve been looking at Diamondback redlines as members have said they’re great. A change having been raised white letter for decades. I have them on 15” Mag 500’s only having about 3k on them though. Then I’d have to figure out what to do with a nice set of tires yet. Sweet car ya got by the way.

Last March I got these Firestones from Coker because I wanted some nostalgia and didn’t want BFG’s. I took some remarks from some members here like “I wouldn’t put Firestones on my lawnmower” and the whole “Firestones/Ford Explorer” rollover issue from 10+ years ago, but after 1 summer with them I am happy with the ride, the comments I get like “I remember those” and overall look.
But that’s just me and what I wanted for my GTX

6500487B-57B2-4A8D-AAE3-277B85B98DEF.jpeg 3E353023-564A-4331-9608-75C37798E397.jpeg

I liked the old Goodyear Eagle ST tires that were available up until the late 90's early 2000's way more the BFG's, but once they stopped making them BFG's were pretty much your only option, I have a set on my wagon and hate them. When I get my coronet back I'll be putting new tires on it since it's still wearing the Goodyear Eagle ST tires I put on it 25+ years ago but I think I'm going to try the Cooper Cobra Radial GT's.

Eagle ST was the "budget" RWL tire.

Eagle GT was the "HP" high dollar one.

...and I used to swear by Uniroyal Tiger Paw vs either of those (and I worked for goodyear).

In 68 , I put new set of Michelins on my 67 Gtx, after the redlines, got used up , 255x on rear 225x on frt ! I seem to remember those being tube type tires and maybe natural rubber ! May be wrong, but for a street car , once lite up , they would really bite ! But very expensive, for a kid starting out , as a dealer mechanic!

I had some Dunlop RWL in the mid 1990's that had good bite.

Never was able to find them again.

Nothing new, they've been **** rubber that turns Brown since the late 70's... but just thought I'd show the difference between ONE year old Goodrich's and 32 year old Goodyears. Cleaned them both today with some naphtha. Not a hope in hell the BF's were even White to start with...
View attachment 1268805 View attachment 1268806 View attachment 1268807 View attachment 1268808 View attachment 1268809
It is just to bad then the Goodyear are such junk tires. Any white letter tire will go brown if they have been poorly stacked when new. Goodrich, Goodyear, Uniroyal, etc. will all do that if the white letter is not covered/protected when stacked. Oil from the black wall will seep onto the white. Once there you will never get it out, it will

come back, so one just gets t9 clean them more often. Cheers

Last March I got these Firestones from Coker because I wanted some nostalgia and didn’t want BFG’s. I took some remarks from some members here like “I wouldn’t put Firestones on my lawnmower” and the whole “Firestones/Ford Explorer” rollover issue from 10+ years ago, but after 1 summer with them I am happy with the ride, the comments I get like “I remember those” and overall look.
But that’s just me and what I wanted for my GTX

The Exploder rollover problem was just the latest Firestone debacle.... Look into the Firestone 721 tire.... Or the Firestone 500.....

I've never said anything about your choice of Firestones or anyone else choice of Firestones... But I sure replaced allot more Firestone 721's back in the early 80's that came apart than I did all other brands of tire combined...

I liked the old Goodyear Eagle ST tires that were available up until the late 90's early 2000's way more the BFG's, but once they stopped making them BFG's were pretty much your only option, I have a set on my wagon and hate them. When I get my coronet back I'll be putting new tires on it since it's still wearing the Goodyear Eagle ST tires I put on it 25+ years ago but I think I'm going to try the Cooper Cobra Radial GT's.
I really liked the ST’s on our last Charger.
We have put about 8000 miles on our BFG’s and they seem okay, don't corner as well as the ST’s though.

Been using BFG's since the early 80's and have had very little problems with them. Only one decided to shred itself on my 2000 Durango but it didn't come apart or cause any damage. Didn't like changing a flat wearing nice rags though. Have Mickeys on both Dakotas (2 on the beater) and the lettering isn't too bad for hardly being cleaned. They are 2018 tires. The all terrain BFG tires on my diesel are 05's! Not a lot of miles on them but so far they are still doing well. The best set ever were a set of BFG Sport Truck T/A's 10.50x31's on 8" Super Coupe wheels that were on a 79 D150 short bed reg cab. They rode and handled good and had good traction in the wet. These were also NOT steel belted radials. I really hate steel belted tires. Same model of tire got installed on my 79 1 ton single wheel Club Cab long bed only they were 12.50x33 iirc and same thing. Rode good and handled well which was a surprise for something like that truck. Had to do some fender trimming on the front for those.

When I bought the diesel (around late 2001 or so) it came with GY's. Don't remember the model of them but they rode like crap and burned them off as fast as possible. The worse tires I ever had were Generals. Bought a 73 Challenger in late 87 and in August of 88, one shed the tread on the LF and dog eared the fender. I remember it because my life was driving herself to the hospital to have a baby. She was out anyways and felt it was time so she went. It wasn't time lol. Another General tire dog eared the LR fender on my 95 Dakota in 2000. I'm pissed now and filed a claim against the company and actually got paid. The next one gave me a warning shortly after that and got it off before it came apart and pulled the rest off right away.

There's a set of China made tires on my box trailer with less than 1500 miles and they are still holding air but they have 'swollen' spots on the tread from just being on the trailer and sitting....and they are trailer tires.

Generals are total crap.

It’s the Plain BFG TA I don’t care for. Wet traction just sucks. Lots of them fail fenders torn off and cars damaged. But they sold multi-millions of them.
Not near as bad as the Firestone 721, what a turd tire that was.

BFG truck tires are good.

But...

Sooner or later you'll own Gen-ral.

But...

Sooner or later you'll own Gen-ral.
There's not much that I won't consider at least looking at after having lousy luck in the past but General isn't one of them lol. Samsung appliances is another....

LOL Generals.... Had a buddy back in the 80's put Generals on his truck, every time he climbed out of the thing he would salute his Generals...:lol:

I was an early adopter of Samsung.

Bought a 19" (yes, 19) TV around 1988 because it was the only one in the price class that had RCA in and out.

Lasted a long time until I got a 27.

The factory "Harman-Kardon" stereo/interface in my 2015 Renegade is a Samsung product.
They bought the name.
I LOVE it.

BTW did you know "LG" (that other Korean brand).

Was formed from the merger of "Goldstar" (remember them?) and another company called "Lucky".

The true name of the company is "Lucky Goldstar".

...but my home appliances are Whirlpool, Amana and GE.

Auto Transport Service
Back