• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious as to how many 73 GTX sunroof cars are known?

You could easily say it was now the 5th digit that dictated the difference between the RR and RRGTX. Or not if that's your mission

U was only assigned to GTX. As highest priced model. In 73/74.

Did plymouth  ever make a 440 4bbl roadrunner . That wasnt a GTX?
70 maybe? 71?

Did plymouth  ever make a 440 4bbl roadrunner . That wasnt a GTX?
70 maybe? 71?
Yes. RoadRunner had a ton of options. I have made the argument. By the time you checked the goodies you could have had standard with a GTX? But there were plenty that wanted the RoadRunner model to make theirs. And I believe the "Beep Beep" horn was only for RoadRunner? (And Superbird )

Last edited:
Like so many things Mopar you would probably have to extrapolate a number meaning determine what is the percentage of Roadrunners/GTXs were made with sunroofs and then apply that percentage to the GTX population. Not a firm number but probably as close as you are going to get unless someone comes up with a number from some source.

With me doing the math in my head and based off of the known road runners and GTX’s with sun roofs in every registry I’ve found and comparing that to the road runner sun roof production #’s both seem to show around 19-20 1973 GTX sunroof cars. I find that hard to believe but maybe it’s realistic. That’s why I was asking if anyone knew of any that weren’t documented in a registry. It’s seems more smaller engine RR’s came with sunroofs.

Here's a 71(?) GTX with a sunroof. This was also an export car to South Africa.

DSC02030.JPG
DSC02032.JPG

There is no RS23 model GTX post 1971. ('67-'71) U-codes RM23U are RoadRunners for 1973. With GTX package. (I believe for 1970. RM23U were Superbird?)

I'm afraid from purist point of view? You are wrong. GTX models ceased after 1971.
Well it’s a package and added to the RR so as a purist in my eyes it’s legit. A12 is a package Superbird is a RR upgraded in my eyes to a RR

There is no RS23 model GTX post 1971. ('67-'71) U-codes RM23U are RoadRunners for 1973. With GTX package. (I believe for 1970. RM23U were Superbird?)

I'm afraid from purist point of view? You are wrong. GTX models ceased after 1971.
Yes, best way to tell a SB with out nose and tail is RM23U trust me on this one I know

Super nice guy. I met him down by work when he worked at Nealy Foods. He is he still part of the Chicagoland Mopar Connection?
I haven’t seen him or the car/cars in years so I don’t know. Started at that chapter, then Rick Valley and finally WIILIA. Lately been following g RV when I renew

Auto Transport Service
Back