• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Custom" fan shroud

john.thompson068

Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Here you are bigman. First off, the radiator is a 20x18. I bought it off Ebay and I think the same seller sold me the fan shroud kit. The kit consisted of a box and the shroud piece. The box was a perfect fit for the radiator. Unfortunately, the box was not big enough for my MP Viscous fan partly because the box had angled in sides. So I had to cut a larger radius hole in the box than the box was actually designed for, which you can see over by the alternator. The hole I cut also took out a large portion of the box down by the pulleys. The next problem was when I made the shroud I had a giant gap by the alternator. So I fabricated the piece to fill in the gap and bolted it to the shroud. At the bottom I just overlapped the shroud and secured it with two bolts. There is still a large gap missing there as I figured it couldn't make a noticeable difference. Then I had to make large cutouts for the alternator and the pulleys. All in all it is pretty cool in appearance and functions well. It will still get up to 220-230 degrees in traffic on the hottest days. Just idling it stays at around 160 degrees. In the future I will most likely ditch this setup and install some electric fans. It could probably run cooler, but it is a 550 hp 440 so it may run a little hotter than normal.

Attachments

• sdfsdf 006.jpg
    sdfsdf 006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 872
  • sdfsdf 007.jpg
    sdfsdf 007.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 945
  • sdfsdf 008.jpg
    sdfsdf 008.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 602
  • sdfsdf 009.jpg
    sdfsdf 009.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 578
  • sdfsdf 010.jpg
    sdfsdf 010.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 548
I just wanted to add that at least everything lined up center in the car. By looking at the pics it looks like I had to offset the radiator to the passenger side 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but when you look into the engine bay everything looks lined up perfect.

Hey John is this (below) the item you ordered?

Ebay: Northern Z40021 High Performance Aluminum Engine Fan Shroud Kit for 26" Radiator. $69.00

I have a '70 Roadrunner that, for some reason, has a '70 Fury Police Package radiator. The shrouds for the RR don't fit, and I can't find a Fury Police Package Radiator Shroud (go figure). Might need to fab something up from a kit the way you did...

G

Cool thanks for the pics and info, so you had to cut out the circle on the sheet metal?

Is it similar to this summit racing kit?

50bef51a.gif

Hey John is this (below) the item you ordered?

Ebay: Northern Z40021 High Performance Aluminum Engine Fan Shroud Kit for 26" Radiator. $69.00

I have a '70 Roadrunner that, for some reason, has a '70 Fury Police Package radiator. The shrouds for the RR don't fit, and I can't find a Fury Police Package Radiator Shroud (go figure). Might need to fab something up from a kit the way you did...

G

That is the same type of product, but not the exact one that I ordered. My kit was for an 18 x 20 radiator, which I had purchased years before deciding to install a fan shroud. So I ordered the kit for my 18 x 20 radiator. The problem is that the flat part of the box where I cut my hole was only 17.75" wide, and my fan is 18". My hole actually measures 19.5" to give the fan .75" clearance for engine flex. So that is why my shroud goes off of the box by 1.125". So just make sure that your radiator is large enough to use a kit that is large enough for the fan you are using. What is interesting about the kit you mention, is that it says it is for a 22" radiator, meaning the box will be 22" across on the backside against the radiator. The sides angle in 1.125" on each side for a total loss of room of 2.25". Yet they say it can fit fans up to 20". However, the biggest hole you will be able to fit on the flat surface of the box will be about 19.75". Plus you need about .75" clearance all around the fan. So that clearance adds 1.5" to the diameter of the hole you cut. So I would say that kit would support up to an 18" fan maximum without having to go off the side of the box like I had to.

Cool thanks for the pics and info, so you had to cut out the circle on the sheet metal?

Is it similar to this summit racing kit?

50bef51a.gif

Yeah, this kit and the one Grabinov posted about are the same deal. Read the reply to him and think carefully about all of the measurements. This Summit kit also has the sides than angle in just like the other kit as you can tell by looking at the top and bottom of the picture. The flanges on the left and right side of the picture are what bolt to the flanges on the top and bottom of the radiator. So you have to take that in consideration. For example, my box is 20" against the radiator, but where I needed to cut the hole was only 17.75". You have to use the shroud piece as a guide to trace out the size of the hole you need with a permanent marker, then cut with a jig saw. On that Summit kit you have to drill a hole somewhere in the middle to get started cutting around.

Just wanted to make a correction, that my radiator is actually a 26"x20" and before I was measuring just the finned area.

Hey John, that is one hell of a shroud you have there!

does air still flow over the top of motor pretty well still?? mario

Yeah, I checked once and it allows for air to blow all around the whole motor. I am going to cut off the bottom section of the shroud, since there is no box down there anyway, when I put everything back together again. I am in the process of ditching the MP viscous for a flex type and installing two 10" fans on the front.

Auto Transport Service
Back