• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dangerous Crap Tools

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
I had to enlarge a couple of holes in my Road Runner radiator support, so I pulled out my trust grinder. I had purchased some new grinding bits from vendors at Carlisle, so I figured I would give them a try.

I'm lucky I didn't get injured...:angryfire:

The first one I tried is on the far right - it was an extended shank bit. When I turned it on it almost immediately bent (I cut the end off after it bent, so you can't see the head in this picture). When something like that bends doing 30,000 RMP, it is NOT GOOD! So then I tried the others - each one broke - I guess they are too brittle. Now before anyone says I wasn't using them right, I have used LOTS of bits and NEVER had these problems.

It is one things if you have a crap tool, but these bits could really hurt someone. Grrrrr....

IMG_3694.jpg

i have used and misused those types of bits over 30 years and never broke one........ unbelievable

these bits could really hurt someone. Grrrrr....

or worse........ could have hurt the car :thumbsup:

I had a Harbor Freight grinder that quit working and wanted to use its power cord for a different tool. When I cut the cord I found out that although it had a grounded plug it only had two wires so there was no ground circuit. That is very unsafe since that ground circuit is what keeps you from getting electrocuted if there is an internal short in the tool.

I bought a cheep set before...after dodging the "bullet"...I read the fine print ,drill motor only. junk

Hawk, glad you or your car did not get hurt.

Was there a package or brand name of the tools that broke?

Don't you hate spending your money to buy Chinese made crap? I have found a few companies making really good us made tools and drill bits. Just can't stand the thought of giving these bastards any of my money!

I have bought a few things from China Freight but tools is not something I buy from there.

Hawk, glad you or your car did not get hurt.

Was there a package or brand name of the tools that broke?

No brand name - just bought out of bins from a tool vendor at Carlisle. Proof that it is buyer beware!

I buy nothing whatsoever from HF. Last time I was in their store was 2008. Never been back.

I buy nothing whatsoever from HF. Last time I was in their store was 2008. Never been back.
I go in there to get free stuff and that's about it lately lol. Found an anvil that was Russian made a couple of years ago and well, almost bought it lol

Isn't there a grease to put on the bits to keep them from suddenly digging into the metal? You have to be very careful about the pressure you apply to a die grinder. .............................MO

Isn't there a grease to put on the bits to keep them from suddenly digging into the metal? You have to be very careful about the pressure you apply to a die grinder. .............................MO

I have never used any grease, but I have ported heads and ground lots of stuff for years and never had this happen. Then I go and buy these bits and they fall apart. When I went back to one of my old bits, everything worked fine, so I do think it was the bits themselves...

Anything spinning at 30,000 RPM in my hands scares the crap out of me. I put a dimmer switch in-line on my electric grinder so I can control the speed ...

Auto Transport Service
Back