• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash harness: is it 66 or 67 Charger?

sam dupont

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I found a dash harness for my '66 Charger that had an engine fire. Don't know yet if the Dash Harness was damaged, but the engine harness and wiper harness are completely roached.
I seem to remember something about the two years having different wires for the Tachometer.
Looking for a way to confirm, 66 or 67.

I found a dash harness for my '66 Charger that had an engine fire. Don't know yet if the Dash Harness was damaged, but the engine harness and wiper harness are completely roached.
I seem to remember something about the two years having different wires for the Tachometer.
Looking for a way to confirm, 66 or 67.
The 66 had a sending unit on the firewall. Looks like a metal hockey puck. Wires went from there to the tach. 67 has two wires coming from the harness going directly to the back of the tach. Hope this helps.

For dash harness, 4 way flashers switch and park brake/brake warning lamp was standard on all 1967’s.

On a 1966 one or both or those were optional. I don’t know for sure when or why. But it’s something to look for on a harness.

Next is the electroluminescent lighting went to the radio and console automatic shift light in 1966 Charger only. I don’t know if this was inside the main wire harness or just an add on harness. On a 1960-61 Chrysler those electroluminescent dash lighting wires are built in to the dash harness.

for engine and lighting harness all 1967 have a brake warning light soma wire to the Brass brake block Below the master cylinder. 1966 may not have one.

Also every 1967 Charger had fender mounted turn signals. So a wire runs to them from the front signal lamp. They we’re not available in 1966.

Last edited:
For dash harness, 4 way flashers switch and park brake/brake warning lamp was standard on all 1967’s.

On a 1966 one or both or those were optional. I don’t know for sure when or why. But it’s something to look for on a harness.

Next is the electroluminescent lighting went to the radio and console automatic shift light in 1966 Charger only. I don’t know if this was inside the main wire harness or just an add on harness. On a 1960-61 Chrysler those electroluminescent dash lighting wires are built in to the dash harness.

for engine and lighting harness all 1967 have a brake warning light soma wire to the Brass brake block Below the master cylinder. 1966 may not have one.

Also every 1967 Charger had fender mounted turn signals. So a wire runs to them from the front signal lamp. They we’re not available in 1966.
In 1966 the brake light warning switch was mandatory in New York State and some others. Not sure, but I think it could be ordered elsewhere.

I have a 66 FSM, but the Mymopar 1967 wiring schematic does not show the gauges.

I have a 66 FSM, but the Mymopar 1967 wiring schematic does not show the gauges.
67 tach wire P4 dark blue with a tracer, is joined to T13 dark blue with a tracer they go on the threaded tach post.
T11 gray with a tracer has a bayonet fitting and goes on the other post. I just looked at the 66 and 67 tach backs. They both have the same posts, but the 67 tach back has three other screws. Don’t know how much help that is. If you look at the 66 instrument cluster wiring diagram, you should be able to compare the harness you have. I took a 66 harness, followed all the wiring from the FSM and marked everything. Another fellow borrowed it so he could compare his.

NEW!! Just looked at the Dodge Technical Service Bulletin dated November 15, 1965. 29 page supplement. Page 15 shows one wire T13 yellow going to the tach. Tach lead joins a plug that has 1 2 3 4 wires, they are gray,white,yellow and black. Hope this helps, you will have to disregard some of the other of my messages, sorry.

Auto Transport Service
Back