• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash light bulbs

I'm a little confused do modern LED bulbs work in the old sockets? Or do you need to replace the old sockets with modern sockets made for the LED bulbs. I have a 66 Satellite and the dash is pretty dark with the original dash bulb setup.

Turns out Ill need to remove the instrument panel to test and maybe replace my gas gauge. So should i remove the steering column nuts that hold it to the dash and remove the speedo cable? what else is required and will the instrument panel just slip out front ways?

Turns out Ill need to remove the instrument panel to test and maybe replace my gas gauge. So should i remove the steering column nuts that hold it to the dash and remove the speedo cable? what else is required and will the instrument panel just slip out front ways?

I am very familliar with 68-70 ralley and non ralley style gauges . But 67 and back i have never messed with . sorry

its ok, hopefully someone can chime in.
would be something in my service manual?

BUMP,
anyone here have directions for instrument panel removal for a 1967 belvedere with A/C.

I have the dash outta my belly right now. Here's how I removed it

1. undo the six screws in the plastic gauge bezel
2. reach up behind and unplug speedo
3. while under the dash also unplug the wiper switch and headlight switch
4. undo two screws in the heater/ac contol bezel(this might be redundant, memory fuzzy)
5. undo trim plate below steering column
6. loosen the two nuts that hold the column in place to drop it down
7. pull gauge cluster towards you and reach behind it to unplug light and sender harnesses(2) also undo the two nuts that connect the ammeter leads(you might want to disconnect the battery for less sparks)

Sorry for the next part, my memory is a little hazy on the a/c because I removed mine three years ago.
There is a bunch of vacuum lines that should unplug from a white plastic connector as well as a bulb pigtail and mark the cables for the vent and heater with masking tape so you don't mix them up before you remove them.

Once you get the dash out the heater/ac won't be scary, it's pretty straight forward

hope this helps you!

Well, that's one way. I have taken the instrument cluster out of my 67 Belvedere GTX multiple times. I have Never taken the steering column down! Removing the wheel, tho is a really easy way to keep you from going insane when then the housing scratches the column paint. (lay a rag over it and it's NP). First, I DO reach up underneath the dash and unclip the speedo cable. I can usually move the cluster out of the way enough (pull it towards me) to get my hand behind the W Wiper switch and unplug it, as well as the headlight switch. The rest of the wires give me enough room to then take the cluster our far enough to unplug everything attached to it's back. So, when the nexttime to removethe cluster comes again, you won't have to unplug anything to get to lights, and plugs etc. As it turns out, I happen to be in the middle of rewiring my '67 today! I can take any picture (s) you'd like me to and post 'em here. The shop is 38 miles from where I live so you'll have to wait until Tuesday! I also admit that the brackets that hold the harness under the dash, have been loosened, (by bending them open) and I generally don't replace the harness back in them as strictly as they were. This makes for a ton less work the next time you go under there. BTW. I'm 5'10" and weigh 250. I CAN'T fit under the dash, so this way works for me every time!LOL.
Lemmie know what pics you'd like and I'll do my best. 67GeeTeeX

AND A LITTLE FOLLOW UP. I do not have AC so my method may not work as smoothly as it does for me. The other advice you've gotten here is really good especially with an AC factor. I just unscrew the bezel for the heater/fan knobs and push the control unit back into the dash and to my right and it stays out of the way. Good luck you lucky devil! lol

disconnect the battery,disconnect the battery,disconnect the battery,disconnect the battery! And do it FIRST!

thanks 67 geeteex

so remove steering wheel, then unplug wiper and headlight switch and the speedo cable... FYI it looks screw-on, not snap on. then pull gauges forwards and unplug the rest?

I know its late but if you happen to take them pictures, i would love to see them... its like **** for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back