• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date Of Manufacture?

66ChargerHI-PO

Local time
2:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone would know the date of manufacturer on a pair of tires I got that I'm trying to sell. I got these from a friend to change out my old bald tires on my daily driver for, and although they got real good tread and no dry rot on them they don't beed on my rim so I'm selling them. The brand on them is Cornell Scambler A/S if anyone remembers those. I ask this question because I got a potential buyer for them and he is asking the question I'm stumped on. I ask because it's mostly letters after DOT. It says..... DOT JT66 B6P166 S9L. However in little tiny numbers across from the DOT letters and numbers it says R-7589. Could they possibly be from 1989? I wish I could post a picture but I can't right now because all our stuff from our living room is in front of the computer because we are gonna be redoing our carpet soon.

Thank you all for your time and to all who respond, it is appreciated.

Prior to 2000, the date code was three numbers, the last three of the DOT. The first two numbers would be the week, last one the year.(example, 209 could be twentieth week of 79, 89, or 99). So it could be a
guess which decade. That's why it was changed in 2000 to four digits.
So basically, I don't understand. Your four digit number can't be right, and the three digit should be numbers, not letters.
(7589 would be the 75th week of 2089. Somewhat unlikely).
I know this much.... they are more than 23 years old.

Last edited:
try this

tire.png

Many tires have the dot number on both sides of the tire, but only one side will have the date digits added to it. Also, tires from the 90’s typically has a sideways triangle with the date digits.
Travis..

Auto Transport Service
Back