• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did the 1970 roadrunner come with a 440 engine option?

Again, the VIN would show the original factory installed engine size.

...and be federally illegal to tamper with.

I have seen a couple N96 cars with dealer installed A/C.

That does NOT make them factory N96 A/C cars.

Interestingly both had York/fomoco compressors.
I always heard the n96/H51 was never a combo from the factory because the components for opening the scoop get in the way of the compressor for the AC

Well Mopar does not list a 70 Roadrunner with a 440 single four carb and that's because as was said it was standard on the GTX and it would make no sense to offer it in a RR. That's why when they built the Roadrunner they did not offer any 440 in it in 1968 because they wanted the 440/4 eng opt for the GTX only and did not want to make the same eng standard in the RR. So they took the 383 and removed the heads which has the small 1.60 exh valves and added the 440's 1.74 exh valve 906 heads and also installed the 440 cam in the 383 so the RR had a hotter standard 383 eng then the normal HP 383 and did not take anything away from the GTX. That's also why the Roadrunner/SuperBee 383 is rated at 335 hp. Could a dealer have installed a single four carb on a 440-6 Roadrunner as was said? Yes I agree but they did not normally sell 440 single four eng in the RR.
Also the 68 Cuda with the 383 was rated at 300 hp. In 67 the Cuda with a 383 was rated at 280 hp because it had restrictive exh manifolds and small valve heads and the small 383 cam. Then in 68 the 383 Cuda got the better 906 heads so they upped the hp to 300. In 1969 the Cuda 383 got the better Roadrunner's 440/383 cam and they rated the 383 at 330 hp in the 69 Cuda. Ron

Well Mopar does not list a 70 Roadrunner with a 440 single four carb and that's because as was said it was standard on the GTX and it would make no sense to offer it in a RR. That's why when they built the Roadrunner they did not offer any 440 in it in 1968 because they wanted the 440/4 eng opt for the GTX only and did not want to make the same eng standard in the RR. So they took the 383 and removed the heads which has the small 1.60 exh valves and added the 440's 1.74 exh valve 906 heads and also installed the 440 cam in the 383 so the RR had a hotter standard 383 eng then the normal HP 383 and did not take anything away from the GTX. That's also why the Roadrunner/SuperBee 383 is rated at 335 hp. Could a dealer have installed a single four carb on a 440-6 Roadrunner as was said? Yes I agree but they did not normally sell 440 single four eng in the RR.
Also the 68 Cuda with the 383 was rated at 300 hp. In 67 the Cuda with a 383 was rated at 280 hp because it had restrictive exh manifolds and small valve heads and the small 383 cam. Then in 68 the 383 Cuda got the better 906 heads so they upped the hp to 300. In 1969 the Cuda 383 got the better Roadrunner's 440/383 cam and they rated the 383 at 330 hp in the 69 Cuda. Ron
ur close, but what I stated , happened , u figure. Don`t care what u or the Chrysler poop says, we all know there were a lot of strange things w/ mopars back then ! Like no 2 bodys having the exact same dimensions for example. My barracuda was a late 68, might be the reason for the 330 h engine . I used to race my buddy that bought the 70 roadrunner /air grabber / 4 barrel, w/ my 69 440 4 speed rt, he got me out of the hole w/ his 4:10 dana 60, but I always passed him in late second gear, "if I could hit it !"------NO brag, just fact !

ur close, but what I stated , happened , u figure. Don`t care what u or the Chrysler poop says, we all know there were a lot of strange things w/ mopars back then ! Like no 2 bodys having the exact same dimensions for example. My barracuda was a late 68, might be the reason for the 330 h engine . I used to race my buddy that bought the 70 roadrunner /air grabber / 4 barrel, w/ my 69 440 4 speed rt, he got me out of the hole w/ his 4:10 dana 60, but I always passed him in late second gear, "if I could hit it !"------NO brag, just fact !

If the 68 Cuda was a late build that makes more sense that it could have gotten the 69 eng that was the 330 hp rated 383 in the Cuda and Dart. I always read it did not get the 335 hp rating as the Roadrunner and SuperBee did (as it was the same 383 in 69) was because of the A-body more restrictive exh manifolds. But I agree weird things did happen at the factory. Course I have heard some stories over the years that you just cant buy like when my friends buddy said his dad bought a 67 GTX 440 six pack car and another older guy who works at Pep Boys says he had a 1963 Fury III with a 426 Hemi and a six pack and I am not lying about him saying that. LoL as I did not believe them two guys. Ron

Last edited:
Had a guy just last night come check out the car on my trailer and said he used to have one just like it. A 69 Special Edition Superbee with the 383 bench seat 4 spd but it got stolen and when he got it back they had stolen the Dana rear end. I just smiled and said this is a 68 Charger...

What about a factory mistake? I know they were made from minor to major. Is it possible that a 440-4 engine could get dropped into a RR? It think it's possible. At what point were the VIN tags attached and the body numbers stamped and how would the VIN read if that mistake happened? A friend of mine whose whole family worked for ChryCo back then told me some crazy stuff that happened on the lines....of course without some kind of proof, it's just hearsay.

What about a factory mistake? I know they were made from minor to major. Is it possible that a 440-4 engine could get dropped into a RR? It think it's possible. At what point were the VIN tags attached and the body numbers stamped and how would the VIN read if that mistake happened? A friend of mine whose whole family worked for ChryCo back then told me some crazy stuff that happened on the lines....of course without some kind of proof, it's just hearsay.

If one shows up and is documented, then yes. Until that day....no.

If the 68 Cuda was a late build that makes more sense that it could have gotten the 69 eng that was the 330 hp rated 383 in the Cuda and Dart. I always read it did not get the 335 hp rating as the Roadrunner and SuperBee did (as it was the same 383 in 69) was because of the A-body more restrictive exh manifolds. But I agree weird things did happen at the factory. Course I have heard some stories over the years that you just cant buy like when my friends buddy said his dad bought a 67 GTX 440 six pack car and another older guy who works at Pep Boys says he had a 1936 Fury III with a 426 Hemi and a six pack and I am not lying about him saying that. LoL as I did not believe them two guys. Ron

Documentation trumps memory everytime.

If “odd things happened” then proof of the oddity goes a long way.

I can tell you about a night with the Hooper triplets but without proof, wellllll.

The answer is yes, but ONLY in Super Birds.

Case closed.

From the 1970 Plymouth Data Book, Belvedere section , page 5

70rr.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back