• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dim Headlights

1986w250

Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
My first post in this section of the forum. I have a 67 Charger that has had dim headlights since 1999 when I bought it. I have checked grounds and I think the plugs on the back of the lights too and never found any issues. Could this problem be the bulkhead or a headlight switch problem? Also do they make a relay kit the the headlights, not the motors? I put a relay kit on my 1980s Ram and it made a huge difference in the headlights.

FYI for all intents and purposes the illumination part has nothing to do with the rotation of the headlights themselves.
Yes, it could be the ground but more likely it is the power side of the circuit.
As you probably know the relay kit will take the load off of your headlight switch.
The headlight switch and/or the several connections supplying power to the lamps are what I suspect.
If you have and can use a meter you could check the voltage at the lamp connection and see if it is low even without the lamp plugged into it.
But for the ground part see post 33 here.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...lay-modification.135356/page-2#post-911211040

Could they be halogen bulbs? Without relays they are dim and non halogens are brighter.

Thanks for the information, I don't know if they are halogen, I don't think I ever changed the headlights in the 22 years I have owned it. It was one of those problems that I could never figure out when I was younger (not patient) but now that I'm older I'm going to fix the problem. I will check the voltage at the lights and see if its a voltage drop problem and I will look and see if they are halogen lights. I probably will still use a relay kit to help the switch and bulkhead fitting though.

I have never jumped the headlights, but that is a good idea to look at too.

Don't forget to check the large plug tucked in between the battery and the radiator support. This one plug supplies elec. connections to the headlights, turn signals, and headlight rotation. Clean contacts and remake. Also, the plug has a ground wire coming off it that connects to the radiator support. Clean that ground too.

Don't forget to check the large plug tucked in between the battery and the radiator support. This one plug supplies elec. connections to the headlights, turn signals, and headlight rotation. Clean contacts and remake. Also, the plug has a ground wire coming off it that connects to the radiator support. Clean that ground too.
Yeah I finally noticed that plug the other day, I will definitely inspect and clean it.

Updating on my dim headlights situation, I checked over the grounds etc. too, but other than the bulkhead connector I didn't see anything horrible. I decided to ordered the headlight relay kit from "Crackedback" and finally got it installed on the 67. It fixed my problem with dim headlights, it also fixed the problem of poorly operating headlight motors and limit switches. My headlight motors will rotate easily now but will still hang up a little because the bushings are worn.

Thanks for the information on the bushings. Its amazing how much more parts are available for these cars, even though its not close to what brand x has. I remember when I bought my 67 Charger in 1999, all you really had was ebay or shows to find parts.

Thanks for the information on the bushings. Its amazing how much more parts are available for these cars, even though its not close to what brand x has. I remember when I bought my 67 Charger in 1999, all you really had was ebay or shows to find parts.

1986w250: I have Crackedback's relays, but have yet to install them. Where did you install the relay mounting blocks? Any photos?

Auto Transport Service
Back