• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

disc brakes for a 68 b body

68gtx

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
wanna put some discs on my 68 gtx, what setups are you guys using, what years of a body brakes work? is it a good swap? and will a brake booster from a 72 coronet work?

i did an a-body swap on my 65 coronet. didn't help stopping much. i have a 69 coronet with power 11' drums that works better.

I went with SSBC because of the 4 piston calipers.The kit was very complete and I also stayed with manual non power.

Attachments

• 22f4.jpg
    22f4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,215
I put the disk set up off of an Aspen on my 66 belvedere and they work great. I also used the bendix dual diaphragm brake booster. Huge improvement to the car. Almost wouldn't be afraid to let my wife drive:)

what did you use for your swap?

Thats the MoparAction swap- 76A body spindals, 11.75 Cordoba's, volare hoses, they are reverersed to accomodate the front sway bar. All replacement parts, except spindels, are available cheap at any parts store.

Thats the MoparAction swap- 76A body spindals, 11.75 Cordoba's, volare hoses, they are reverersed to accomodate the front sway bar. All replacement parts, except spindels, are available cheap at any parts store.

That's the road I'm taking.

by reversed you mean swapped left for right?

Yeah, the spindles will work either way but make sure your hoses are clear and don't bind. Also you want to make sure the bleeder screw is on top.

have been banging my head against the wall trying to do this swap , using pin style calipers , i have 11.75 caliper brackets which are pin style , but i cannot find a caliper that has the correct placement for the brake hose, i tried 73 cuda calipers and 76 charger calipers both are no good, migh thave to go to slider style calipers, but do they make caliper brackets to accomidate 11.75 inch rotors with slider style brackets, and if so what are they off of , i need some

have been banging my head against the wall trying to do this swap , using pin style calipers , i have 11.75 caliper brackets which are pin style , but i cannot find a caliper that has the correct placement for the brake hose, i tried 73 cuda calipers and 76 charger calipers both are no good, migh thave to go to slider style calipers, but do they make caliper brackets to accomidate 11.75 inch rotors with slider style brackets, and if so what are they off of , i need some

Yes there are slider style brackets made for the 11.75 rotors. Mine came off of a 80's magnum. I used sliders on my 66 and mounted them to the rear. I can get you the brakes hose part # and calipers part # if you need. My brakes works great.

Yes there are slider style brackets made for the 11.75 rotors. Mine came off of a 80's magnum. I used sliders on my 66 and mounted them to the rear. I can get you the brakes hose part # and calipers part # if you need. My brakes works great.

that would be great!!!!!!!

Would you mind posting your entire setup with any applicable part #'s?

I have pin type wilwood forged dynalites for my fronts and stock rear drums. Napa 11.75" diameter 1-inch thick solid rotors, AREngineering billet caliper adapters to accomodate the larger rotors, braided steel brake lines, Raybestos mid-grade 15/16" bore master cylinder and an 8-inch dual diaphragm vacuum booster and pedal linkage from Master Power Brakes.

This setup works pretty well, but I was actually more pleased with the feel of the setup on the car when I got it (sold those before I knew what I had). Those were slider type single piston calipers supposedly from a 70's E-body with that same E-body original vacuum booster and master cylinder. That setup had a lot more stopping power and was pretty snappy. I think the master cylinder bore size along with the pedal push-rod length and the specific vacuum booster is all very critical in matching up with the calipers you've got to optimize pedal feel.

I had one mopar guy local to me tell me that Summit makes a master cylinder bore rework kit to take care of incorrect pedal push rod length when using an aftermarket master cylinder, but I can't seem to find what he's talking about on Summit's website.

Try cpp classic performance products. They have the the best price on a kit. I used it on a b body and It is very nice. I believe it is the same kit summit sells also.

Here is the parts needed to rear mount sliders on 66-70 b-body.
brake hose - Brakebest BH-99069
calipers - cardone 18-4145 & 18-4144
Hope this helps

I can get the master cyl # is needed.

I used the bendix dual diaphragm brake booster rebuilt by Prior Brake Products out of Texas. I used the 80's dodge diplomat spindles but either spindle (short or tall) works. My brakes work great.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back