• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do tires wear faster as they get to the wear bars?

I was thinking standard domestic size - 595mm wide..... something like two foots together (with shoes on if you're a short guy) :p

@Geetex help me out here please... :lol:
That would be three arms lengths. ( Midgets and basketball players excluded ).

Are we allowed to say midgets in today's woke world? Should it be 'height challenged'....

I still say what I like and let people be entertained, indifferent or offended.

Are we allowed to say midgets in today's woke world? Should it be 'height challenged'....
They are infringing on my right to free speech.....I'm height challenged too imo lol

Heat/friction is what causes wear. As the tread gets worn down, there is less squirm in the tread and sipes. This leads to less heat buildup in the tire. Some tires also have a dual compound tread. This means that the tire has a harder tread compound in the lower layer of the tread.
All things being equal a thinner tread takes longer to wear under normal driving conditions, not racing.
And by the way racing tires are very thin when new just because of the heat buildup.
Thicker rubber in the tread area would just cause more stress in the tread area as centrifugal force would be trying to rip the ttread off and the tire deforms when rolling, flexing and heating up. A tire is flat on the bottom where it contacts the road and then becomes round as it rotates off of the road. Imagine this happening faster as speed increases. There is a reason why most new passenger tires come with about 11 3/2s average of tread when new and not more.

I truly do not know the answer to this. A yes and a no could both be possible.
It just seems weird that I was driving the car for over 6 years and didn't notice much wear, then within a few months the tread grooves on the outer and inner edges just faded away.
A tire company engineer should have some insight.
Anyone have contact info for the Michelin Man?

Any chance your tires were slightly under inflated for the last few months and you didn’t notice? Even 5 or so psi under inflated will cause the outer edges of a tire to wear faster.

I’m kinda lost here- none of my tires wear bras.

A friend of mine that has a truck that uses the same size tires as mine usually gets the tires that I take off. I have always used Michelin tires on that truck up until the latest set. The last set that I removed had about 1/32+ of tread before the wear bars. I had gotten about 48K miles out of them. I find that when they are worn that far the truck rides rougher and the bumps in the road seem harder. Anyway my friend has put these on his truck. The last time I asked, he said they were well into the wear bars and he had about 22K miles on them. So my opinion on that particular brand is that as the tire wears the compound is harder and wears less. In no way can I confirm this on any other brand or type of tire. Those tires had a treadlife warranty of 50K miles and now have a little over 70K on them now. My friend isn't as cautious as me and will drive them until the cord or steel shows.

A friend of mine that has a truck that uses the same size tires as mine usually gets the tires that I take off. I have always used Michelin tires on that truck up until the latest set. The last set that I removed had about 1/32+ of tread before the wear bars. I had gotten about 48K miles out of them. I find that when they are worn that far the truck rides rougher and the bumps in the road seem harder. Anyway my friend has put these on his truck. The last time I asked, he said they were well into the wear bars and he had about 22K miles on them. So my opinion on that particular brand is that as the tire wears the compound is harder and wears less. In no way can I confirm this on any other brand or type of tire. Those tires had a treadlife warranty of 50K miles and now have a little over 70K on them now. My friend isn't as cautious as me and will drive them until the cord or steel shows.
I got the takeoffs from my BIL.....he too used nothing but Mickys and I used them on my flat bed trailer and my Dakota. Not sure if the compound gets harder as time goes on or if they are just losing the cushion effect from the extra tread depth. I've been known to run my tires until they are very elderly but won't run them until the air starts showing. Found out a long time ago that bald tires will hydroplane at around 50-55 depending on how wide they are. And my BIL passed away a couple of months ago so no more takeoffs.

Accelerated wear is a phenomenon I’ve noticed on semi truck tires. The miles per 1/32” diminishes as the tread depth decreases. When I managed a fleet, tire wear was closely tracked because it was a significant part of per mile operating expense.

Part of the accelerated wear is due to the reduction of mass and the tires ability to tolerate heat.

Another factor is as the tread wears there is less tread flex which increases scrubbing during turns and lateral loads. A lot of truck steer axle tire tread patterns have a decoupling grooves at the outer edge of the tread to help enable flex in the outside ribs.

Performance tires tend to have a lower tread wear rating which means a softer tread compound that definitely adds to accelerated wear.

I don’t think accelerated wear is caused by any single factor…

Last edited:
Two things not mentioned. The rubber on new tyres is soft & wears quicker when new. With heat from usage, the rubber hardens & the wear rate reduces. Also, as the tyre wears, the contact area with the road increases, which would reduce the wear rate.
That sounds very plausible, got new tires on my 3500 Ram, it road very soft till it had maybe 200 miles on them. Now it’s almost like rock feeling.

I guess the best way to find out if the rubber tread gets harder as it wears is to check with a durometer......?

I truly do not know the answer to this. A yes and a no could both be possible.
It just seems weird that I was driving the car for over 6 years and didn't notice much wear, then within a few months the tread grooves on the outer and inner edges just faded away.
A tire company engineer should have some insight.
Anyone have contact info for the Michelin Man?
Years ago we were at the Monterrey Historics, a buddies young son saw the guy dresses as the Michelin Man & ran at him full speed... Took out his knees, guy went down hard.... Everyone including him cracked up... Point being does physical contact count??? :lol:

Years ago we were at the Monterrey Historics, a buddies young son saw the guy dresses as the Michelin Man & ran at him full speed... Took out his knees, guy went down hard.... Everyone including him cracked up... Point being does physical contact count??? :lol:
:rofl:

I had a down filled puffy coat, from then on I was the Michelin man

Tires do wear faster as they get to the wear bar. The compound and the no give in the tread makes for a faster wear out. Remember when you go to buy tires to take a depth gouges to make sure your getting what is suppose to be. California banded any tire with more than 19 said it was a stopping hazard. I smell bs on that. Something else you might want to look into is sipping the tires when new. I have had this done on big rigs and got up to 10,000 more miles with a greater stopping distance in the rain.

Auto Transport Service
Back