• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you keep a notebook for your car?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
I do. I started doing so 30+ years ago.
I take notes on every modification, every bit of maintenance and repair. I keep part numbers, contacts and repair techniques in them as well.
For a factory stock classic, it may not matter but when you deviate from original parts, the factory service manual isn't as useful as it once was.
I love the FSM for their drawings, exploded views of steering columns, wire diagrams and the inner workings of doors and window mechanisms but for aftermarket changes like stereos, carburetors, transmission swaps, disc brake upgrades, etc....it really helps to keep notes of the special replacement parts you will eventually need.

I keep every receipt, things that matter like original decal locations, paint process, paint code and formula, and every ounce of info on the engine build. Everything is in a 3 ring binder for the next owners...my 2 boys.

I take pictures and have mental scars. I should have taken better notes on assembly of my turbo setup in the fury. I ran it for 8 years and then took it apart to upgrade the long block. The turbo stuff has to go together in a certain way and all pieces need to be loose and connected and chased down to the exhaust. I had the opportunity to relearn some of that and do it multiple times this winter :lol:

Yes good to have for replacement parts and shops.

Every car I own gets one of these assigned to it the day I bring it home.

Globe Weis /Pendaflex Heavy Duty Expanding File with Flap, 12 Monthly Pockets, 1/3 Cut Tabs, Brown, Letter Size (R117MLHD) Amazon product ASIN B003HKN2LO
I keep every receipt, registration, insurance invoice, repairs, maintenance, and service information print outs, etc, etc, etc.

My 1990 Chrysler Lebaron folder must have weighed 20 pounds when I sold it in 2011. It's a shame the new owner didn't appreciate the records and history.

Yes, I keep a notebook on all my cars including daily drivers to record oil changes, battery replacements, tires, major repairs, tune ups, etc. I also have an additional notebook on just my hobby cars that I record adjustments, jetting, rods, dwell, timing, distributor specs, part numbers, torque specs, spec sheets, how-to printouts for various things, wire schematics, instruction sheets, etc, etc

That is great! I thought that I was detailed but some of you guys are really meticulous!

I typically have a manilla envelope for each vehicle and keep it in our safe. Title, repair invoices, etc. Oil changes, repairs or other updates I put on a spreadsheet document on my computer.

I am just starting a project and honestly hadn't even thought bout it.. but i think i will now. :) Should be interesting to see how much i actually spend

I kept a log on every vehicle we have had since 1970. Our 1992 Toyota 4 Runner, which we bought in December 1991 sold January 2013 had 364,000 kilometres on it. Including purchase price, repairs etc cost us 219.00/month Canadian.
THIS did not include licence and taxes.

I started a log book for my car but didn't keep it up. I found it the other day...I wrote down new tires, wheels, a battery... but nothing after 1981.

On our daily drivers, we keep records of maintenance/mileage of when and what was done/fuel purchase with odometer reading. On my 65, as with my other non daily drivers, no.

If I kept a notebook with receipts I would probably cry after I added them all up.

I don't keep receipts but keep a log on when maintenance was done. Why bother keeping receipts....just bums ya out lol

I keep receipts and make lots of notes, even directly in my racers log books, but it`s never as organized or thorough as I wish it was. I'm always jealous of the thoughtful folks who document their builds and even minor repairs for the benefit of others....there's a huge section of that kind of activity at FABO... I don't think we have that here?? (although I know there are member garages here which is good).

Just what I think is must save stuff,
Drive train details front to back with cam card, carb specs, timing curve, ect.
Paint code, dates for tires and brakes.
Trans and rear diff service dates, miles.
I don't log, plug changes, oil , wiper blades ect.
Its all in a envelope in the glove box.

haaha in just 5 hours i totally forgot about this and threw away my first receipt :) BTW... $10 for a quart of trans fluid?! WTF?!

$10 for a quart of trans fluid?! WTF?
I don't save receipts just for the sake of knowing how much money I wasted on the car....I hide those from my wife lol....
I save and document information and receipts that tell me what i should and shouldn't do in the future on the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back