• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drop base air cleaner for Eddy card w/ elect choke and tight hood clearance

AZBelvedere

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys

I kinda created a headache for myself when I replaced my 725 Road Demon with a Eddy Thunder AVS 650 w/ electric choke. I'm running a Eddy RPM Air Gap on my 408 stroker in my 66 Belvedere and this combo is creating a air cleaner decision nightmare. I need about a 1.75" to 1.5" drop base bottom for a 3" filter or 1" to 1.25" with a 2". Problem is that most drop bases don't fit over electric choke eddy carbs. :angry9: I ran the All Star 1.75" drop base with the Demon and it fixed the clearance issues. I would like to find one for my eddy now.

Are any of you running the same setup with similar hood clearance issues. What did you come up with. I hate ordering stuff and finding out it doesn't fit, then having to ship it back. I also don't have any convenient speed shops near my house.

Me too.The Mopar performance just fit on a 73 A body. I had to jack up the rear of the hood and adjust the front bumper stops to run a after market air cleaner.The lowest profile (Factory type) that I know of is the 360/400 four barrel 75-79 Cordoba/Charger/ C body Chrysler. Not the best looking but something to look into.

Hey guys

I kinda created a headache for myself when I replaced my 725 Road Demon with a Eddy Thunder AVS 650 w/ electric choke. I'm running a Eddy RPM Air Gap on my 408 stroker in my 66 Belvedere and this combo is creating a air cleaner decision nightmare. I need about a 1.75" to 1.5" drop base bottom for a 3" filter or 1" to 1.25" with a 2". Problem is that most drop bases don't fit over electric choke eddy carbs. :angry9: I ran the All Star 1.75" drop base with the Demon and it fixed the clearance issues. I would like to find one for my eddy now.

Are any of you running the same setup with similar hood clearance issues. What did you come up with. I hate ordering stuff and finding out it doesn't fit, then having to ship it back. I also don't have any convenient speed shops near my house.

Not sure if it will help you but when I added the high rise to my car, I too needed a drop base after already paying cuda chick to powder coat my breather and valve covers matching my car. I bought a complete ford racing breather set up just to get the drop base which matched the black coating from Cuda Chick.

Pretty sure it was this one as it uses the same 13" filter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-302...ner-Kit-13-Diameter-2-63-Filter-/201276651885

Looks like this is what I'm going with.

K&N 1.25" Drop Base - 85-3549 (has the dimples for the electric choke)
Summit Racing Reusable 2.5" Filter - SUM-F1318
And my old All Star Aluminum top.
Well see how it all fits in a couple of days.

I had a similar issue a few years back after adding an
POS #1411 750cfm Edelbrock Performer AFB Carb w-elect. choke & a Performer RPM on a 68 RR 383,
{later changed to a quality Holley 770cfm dual feed Vac-Sec. Elec. Choke & used the same base, much better}
I wanted a taller 3" K&N Air Filter element & an K&N Xtreme top
I used an old base only, I had on a shelf in the garage
it was an older version of a Chrome 14" Moroso,
IIRC it was a 1-3/4" drop-base {don't quote me}, had stock hood clearance but just barely

maybe check out Moroso website

or maybe check out Summit Racing
search under
Air & Fuel Delivery
Air Cleaners Flame Arrestor & Scoops
Air Cleaner Bottoms
tons to chose from, do comparisons read details

sorry I didn't save the link

good luck

the ford drop base allowed me to use the Mopar Performance set up on top of my RPM intake and Holley carb.

20140419_113456.jpg

Here is my original setup when I was running the eddy 800 AVS elec choke. Standard Eddy air cleaner from kragen(o'reilly) just made it under stock hood.

Auto Transport Service
Back