• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dude, don’t lean on my car

Yup, I'm generally willing to cut kids some slack, if they haven't been taught they don't know... So be nice & try to make it a positive learning experience... Adult? If you don't understand respect by now it's a little late to expect me to be nice...
My wife tells me all the time when I correct/speak to children out with their parents (like in a store or something)
that people don't do that anymore.
My response is always the same:
"Maybe that's the problem."
To be honest, I do it as much for the benefit of the parents as for the child...
Does it do any good? Probably not.

So true. I went through 14 years of "I used to have one..." after my corporate career imploded. When I was back on top, with my 440 GTX from back in the day, paired with a numbers matching Hemi car beside it, I never looked down on a guy who told me he "used to own one."
Totally agree!
Been there, done that. If someone, anyone, wants to chat and tells me their story, I never blow them off.
It's the least I can do...

A show I was at the dad did it right. He held his little boy up to see inside and was even holding his legs so they wouldn't bump the door. Everyone at this show was very well behaved, but then in this part of America that is the noView attachment 1521622rm.
Yessir, here in the south is different...at least until all the transplants finish buying up the joint and telling us
"how they did it where they came from". :)
I got a tee shirt idea just for them:
you aint from around here.jpg
(Bonus points for the first to tell me who this gentleman was...)

Yessir, here in the south is different...at least until all the transplants finish buying up the joint and telling us
"how they did it where they came from". :)
I got a tee shirt idea just for them:
View attachment 1521787
(Bonus points for the first to tell me who this gentleman was...)
The late Popcorn Sutton of course.

Totally agree!
Been there, done that. If someone, anyone, wants to chat and tells me their story, I never blow them off.

nothing beats shootin' the **** about cars..... it's what we do, it's why we're here!

Totally agree!
If they actually did have one, that is fine.
I was referring to the guys that never had a classic, don't have any experience, no hands on wrenching work but like the look of the classics.
These are the kinds of people that I often meet....they are the husbands or boyfriends of those my wife knows.
John is a car guy, you two ought to have plenty to talk about.
Uhhh, no. John owns a Nissan, works at a Kinkos/Fed Ex and can't "fix" a cup of coffee. He may be a great guy but he isn't a car guy.

If they actually did have one, that is fine.
I was referring to the guys that never had a classic, don't have any experience, no hands on wrenching work but like the look of the classics.
These are the kinds of people that I often meet....they are the husbands or boyfriends of those my wife knows.
John is a car guy, you two ought to have plenty to talk about.
Uhhh, no. John owns a Nissan, works at a Kinkos/Fed Ex and can't "fix" a cup of coffee. He may be a great guy but he isn't a car guy.
In those cases, I reckon it'd be a short conversation, eh? :)
Every case is different, of course...

Lookit -I've told some stories on here of chance meetings with strangers in parking lots or shows when I've
had Fred out and the few times I've really not felt at all like chatting when approached by someone....
I'm convinced they weren't just "chance" meetings, once the experience was over and I'd had time to
contemplate what went down - they were sorts of "tests" put upon me by Him.

The story about the old couple in the grocery store parking lot still tempers my public behavior with Fred
to this day, for example...
I was so burnt up and nasty and tired from wrestling with Fred that day that I just didn't feel very sociable
when they approached me - but thank God, I managed to remember who raised me and "got right" and
showed them respect - and eventually, it became clear why I had been put there at that time and place.
I treasure those times, those events, those opportunities....and I always try to be a good steward
of both the car and the hobby as a result.

I am always nice to strangers that strike up conversations about cars when I'm out in mine. I don't want to be rude to someone that makes an effort to be friendly. That isn't right.
Since I fell off the roof, it seems that I have a greater tendency to talk with people even more. The concussion must have unlocked something.

I’d never lean on anyone’s ride. Even if it’s a 20 yo work truck.

Btw… I learned not to lean on cars as a kid when my Dad came home with a VW rabbit in ‘77. That thing had sheet metal like an aluminum Coors beer can.

Can’t recall ever being rude to anyone who was just wanting a neighbor-like chat, never rude to a waitress/waiter, store clerk, receptionist, etc. That has come when they’ve been rude to me or my wife – simply the Golden Rule. An insurance agent we had for many years (I had worked with earlier with same employer) and stayed with him giving him some loyalty got irritating, especially treating my wife as a 2nd class citizen. She was pissed! Went so far as to let him know as once old friends and be aware to avoid it in the future. My wife handled all my biz and our personal insurance hassles and glad she did so I didn’t have to. Well, WTF he pulled the same male-macho **** again! Went with another agent and he writes me a nasty letter about being the asshole nuking him! My reply via email was – Find a clue old pal.

At a car show on Monday a participant parked a few cars down was wandering by and stopped to make small talk. The first thing he does is put his hand on my deck lid to steady himself then leans against my car. When I told him “dude, don’t lean on my car” he seemed butthurt and copped an attitude. After he left, I asked my buddy if I came off as a dick and he replied yes. Am I wrong here? The guy was driving a pretty nice 340 ‘Cuda, you’d think he would know better…
I don't rub on your wife and you don't rub on my car!

I am always nice to strangers that strike up conversations about cars when I'm out in mine. I don't want to be rude to someone that makes an effort to be friendly. That isn't right.
Since I fell off the roof, it seems that I have a greater tendency to talk with people even more. The concussion must have unlocked something.
Sometimes, when we've survived something potentially life-threatening, that sort of thing happens.
Good on ya! :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back