• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dude, don’t lean on my car

F'em... If you don't understand that you shouldn't lean on someone else's car then you ain't a car guy, no matter what you drive...

Simple way to solve it, mighty hard to lean on a car that's travelling 60 MPH down a country road...

Did the guy leave on a stretcher? If not, then NO, you weren't being a jerk. [and maybe not even if they had to carry him off , like if he was wearing 501s with those brads on the seams...]

when I look at cars at an event, and lean over or in to see; I always put my hands behind my back

touch it, I dare ya

1694014159788.png

There is a diplomatic way to express yourself. (So I've heard)
I don't think that what someone has on their hands will permanently harm the paint unless it scratches it. Oil, anti-freeze, *** residue or ice cream all washes off unless your car has bad paint or a primer job.
This isn't to say that I WANT people touching the car, just that no permanent damage is likely to happen.
Kids though....walking down a row of cars with toys in their hands, rolling toy cars atop the doors and hood is not cool. You can't spank someone else's kid though it sure can be tempting to do so.

I say PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THE CAR.

The word 'please' goes a long way. If they disrespect you or mouth off after that, kneecap the MFer. Yeah, I'm a dick and I have enough friends.

Signed, Losing Patience with Society.

I've never had to tell anyone not to touch my car at a show, they know better. I did have a photographer ask if his model could sit on the fender and lay back. I told him I thought that was a good idea. She was flaming hot and no I don't have a picture of it to prove it. They took the shot and moved on.

I've never had to tell anyone not to touch my car at a show, they know better. I did have a photographer ask if his model could sit on the fender and lay back. I told him I thought that was a good idea. She was flaming hot and no I don't have a picture of it to prove it. They took the shot and moved on.

^^^^^^^^^^

exception, not the norm....... lol

Glad to say of all the shows I’ve gone to, can’t remember anyone leaning or sitting on my car. Though, half the time I’m not in view of it. Rarely have I seen others doing so on anyone’s car. People have asked to sit in it and I’ve been fine with it. A few old folks have put their hands on the door to peek in cuz they have trouble standing as it is. Not that picky and don’t take gobs of time polishing it for shows anymore, might have dust on it…it’s a driver and it’s going to get dusty.

Though, people who would lean on or sit is WRONG and people know better. Hell, if I run into someone at the store in a parking lot and get to chatting, I don’t lean on someone else's vehicle even if it's a 2015 Toyota..

You’re not a jerk, pretty well reserved I’d say.
I go to a lot of shows and cruise ins for the fun of being with car people, and honestly never had this type thing happen.
Most ask permission to stick their head inside or look underneath it, I offer parents to let their kids sit inside for pics if they want. I admit I have a short fuse for blatant disregard of someone’s property, and or taking idiotic liberties that come from shear lousy upbringing.
(I hope no one sits on my fender tonight)

He probably won't lean on anyone else's car, so it's all good.

At a car show on Monday a participant parked a few cars down was wandering by and stopped to make small talk. The first thing he does is put his hand on my deck lid to steady himself then leans against my car. When I told him “dude, don’t lean on my car” he seemed butthurt and copped an attitude. After he left, I asked my buddy if I came off as a dick and he replied yes. Am I wrong here? The guy was driving a pretty nice 340 ‘Cuda, you’d think he would know better…
You were probably a LOT nicer than I would have been. I've had people lean on my clearly marked acid-dipped fenders. I frankly don't care, when people are stupid/rude enough to handle stuff that's not theirs. I had people opening sealed boxes at the Nats swap....without saying a word. Um...NO

It is inevitable that boundaries will be crossed at a public event. It's just a matter of time no matter how vigilant you are. Admonishing one person does nothing to stop the next 100 people who will be coming along to do it again .... or worse.

sold my charger at mecum a few years ago car was flawless, when it was lined up to go on the auction block somebody scuffed the clear coat on the rear quarter, glad it sold. Then at Mecum indy 23 this year an old lady was standing next to a 69 green roadrunner with looks to be original paint slipped with her cane and put a 5 inch scratch in the front left fender. Lots of dumb people out there, at least I hope thats there reason.

We were about halfway down the block when I noticed someone getting into my friend’s A12 Bee and told him so. I still remember his wife trying to keep up yelling “don’t kill him Dan”, she was totally serious…

I expect bad behavior from spectators that aren’t necessarily car people, but car guys should know better.

Auto Transport Service
Back