• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dude, don’t lean on my car

We were about halfway down the block when I noticed someone getting into my friend’s A12 Bee and told him so. I still remember his wife trying to keep up yelling “don’t kill him Dan”, she was totally serious…

I expect bad behavior from spectators that aren’t necessarily car people, but car guys should know better.
So many definitions of a "car guy".....plus a plethora of reasons and excuses for uncivilized behavior.

So many definitions of a "car guy".....plus a plethora of reasons and excuses for uncivilized behavior.
I've asked people "Are you a car guy?" and often get a YES, then I learn they have no tools, own no classic car....they simply like the look of them.

Oh dear. Do we need an enthusiasm injection here? Hope all is well!?

This has been a weird year for me on various levels. I'll kinda leave things there. I appreciate the concern, though, truly do.

I think it just comes down to "manners" in general.......I bet these same people lack decorum at the dinner table

Yeah… the same types that pick their noses they try to shake your hand.

Yeah, car guys. Old friend I haven’t seen in 20 years always said he was a car guy. I helped him replace a starter on his car, actually I did, and he handed me the tools, mine cuz he had none. He always ‘knew’ enough to criticize my mopars and other rides I had, saying USA vehicles were crap for the commoners. But he couldn’t afford the lofty German made vehicles he loved unless a decade old with 200k on them.

There’s a reason I haven’t seen him in – 20 years..

Well if it was a 5' 10" 120 lb blond with nice T&A that would be different. Right?:lol:

A lil well worded 'tact' goes a long way

To the OP, you were an ***, but somewhat appropriately so
could have said it 'differently' maybe, a lil' more tact
but if the guy gets butthurt
for you telling "or asking politely" or telling them 'don't lean or touch my car'
he's douche & not a real car guy if he doesn't get it...

I'm not a sit/stand behind my car, at a car show type guy
I never really got into that stuff, I did it when I'd 1st built my cars
usually before the season started, to appease sponsors etc.
I liked an activity, using my car/driving it
but at racing/mostly drag racing (did other forms of racing too)

I'd see most people take care to 'not touch stuff',
hold back chains or put hands behind their backs, pull shirts away etc.
so as to not offend & touch it/them
yep there were them 1 in 100 ********,
them usually know everything :blah: or VIN/fender tag readers
all types out there, the ones that know better seem to be the worst

I would (or used to) let people sit in my car all the time, take photos etc.
(me & the crew would lean all over it, we knew where we could or couldn't lean)
as long as I wasn't servicing it at the time, I liked the kids' reactions...

A few people 'usually adults' that didn't know any better
would want to lean on it/against it BS-ing, not knowing
especially 'elbow on the front fenders',
(usually those types with a cigarette in their mouth)
that's a pet peeve of mine
I'd tell them 'please don't lean on' :blah: the fiberglass/carbon fiber
fenders, hood, trunk lid, bumpers, set your damn beer on the ******* wing etc
it's lightweight aluminum or fiberglass/carbon fiber, race parts
followed by Usually, a short explanation,
They paid good money to come see us, I didn't need to tear their heads off
(albeit I sometimes wanted to)
'that's not metal or it's fiberglass, it's not designed for it' :blah:

Especially lil' kids, loved to sit in them, most adults don't/wouldn't ever even ask
if the kid 'don't seem like overly active hyper spaz's', I'd let them
telling them not to touch certain things (power shut off anyway)
the parents were usually polite too, & it makes that kids day...
Maybe they will be future gearheads too

Last edited:
when I look at cars at an event, and lean over or in to see; I always put my hands behind my back
I always have done this. Also if the windows are up and I want to peer thru the glass, my hand(s) never touch the glass.

I don't have patience for people that are oblivious or don't respect other people's stuff. I'm doing my own paint and body work to the charger so I know the time and effort that goes into making it look nice and for someone to come up and use it as a bar table to lean on while BSing with someone is uncalled for. I always put my hands behind my back when walking around a car and looking at it...it shows respect to the effort that someone put into their restoration IMO.

A lil well worded 'tact' goes a long way

To the OP, you were an ***, but somewhat appropriately so
could have said it 'differently' maybe, a lil' more tact
but if the guy gets butthurt
for you telling "or asking politely" or telling them 'don't lean or touch my car'
he's douche & not a real car guy if he doesn't get it...

I'm not a sit/stand behind my car, at a car show type guy
I never really got into that stuff, I did it when I'd 1st built my cars
usually before the season started, to appease sponsors etc.
I liked an activity, using my car/driving it
but at racing/mostly drag racing (did other forms of racing too)

I'd see most people take care to 'not touch stuff',
hold back chains or put hands behind their backs, pull shirts away etc.
so as to not offend & touch it/them
yep there were them 1 in 100 ********,
them usually know everything :blah: or VIN/fender tag readers
all types out there, the ones that know better seem to be the worst

I would (or used to) let people sit in my car all the time, take photos etc.
(me & the crew would lean all over it, we knew where we could or couldn't lean)
as long as I wasn't servicing it at the time, I liked the kids' reactions...

A few people 'usually adults' that didn't know any better
would want to lean on it/against it BS-ing, not knowing
especially 'elbow on the front fenders',
(usually those types with a cigarette in their mouth)
that's a pet peeve of mine
I'd tell them 'please don't lean on' :blah: the fiberglass/carbon fiber
fenders, hood, trunk lid, bumpers, set your damn beer on the ******* wing etc
it's lightweight aluminum or fiberglass/carbon fiber, race parts
followed by Usually, a short explanation,
They paid good money to come see us, I didn't need to tear their heads off
(albeit I sometimes wanted to)
'that's not metal or it's fiberglass, it's not designed for it' :blah:

Especially lil' kids, loved to sit in them, most adults don't/wouldn't ever even ask
if the kid 'don't seem like overly active hyper spaz's', I'd let them
telling them not to touch certain things (power shut off anyway)
the parents were usually polite too, & it makes that kids day...
Maybe they will be future gearheads too

I normally have a more tactful approach but he just caught me at the wrong time. The lack of respect and common sense is becoming tiresome, I guess it’s starting to get to me. I just want to spend time relaxing with friends and like minded people.

My now 40 year old Son and 35 year old Daughter would never even touch the fender on a beater that they didn't own. They watched the lads and I beat the **** out of guys that felt the need to drag their "janitor " key chains over each corner of cars at shows in the 80's and '90's! It's called respect. I don't even touch my own cars bare handed unless I'm feeling really *****! LOL

I normally have a more tactful approach but he just caught me at the wrong time. The lack of respect and common sense is becoming tiresome, I guess it’s starting to get to me. I just want to spend time relaxing with friends and like minded people.
You were fine. He wasn't. It's that simple.

Yep, I 110% do understand...

I've mentioned this before concering car shows. At the Street Rod Nats in OKC a few years back, I showed my gorgeous '42 Plymouth PT125 pickup. It was mildly customized, but in the engine compartment, with a 1958 Plymouth flathead Six with Clifford dual-carb intake and headers, and an Isky cam and head. This truck ran and looked soooo good! Dark green with black fenders and running boards, polished oak bed floor, and a nice tan stock interior. Anyway, a family of maybe five kids from roughly five to 12 or so came up with their parents and gazed at the truck. Lots of "oohs" and "Ahhhhs". Pretty cool. I was right by my truck, and since the kids were acting with respect and not like feral hooligans, I asked them if they'd like to sit in the cab...five big smiles indicated "Yeah!!!" So I loaded three in the cab and two in the bed. You'd have thought they hit the kid jackpot-o-fun! I said to their Mom, "Hey, get some pics of your kids, you'll not regret it!" And with that, they thanked me for letting them touch the truck, and off they went.

A couple of minutes later, a guy parked near me came over and said "Dude, are you crazy? Letting those kids in your truck?"

I said "Look, first off, it's my truck. The kids were very respectful, and they had a blast, so why do you care?"

"But, but, now they'll expect to do the same with other cars!"

"If they're respectful around them, and if the owner offers them a chance to sit in the car, there is no harm at all done. Plus, if that experience motivates even just one of them to become fans of old cars and such, now you have become an ambassador for the hobby. Lighten up. Smile. It doesn't hurt."

plymouth_pickup.jpg

Last edited:
Far as I'm concerned your buddy that thought you were being a dick was wrong... Notta Dick... If you'd started with Get The F off my car? Yeah, kinda dick move... But still the truth.... I'm to old & to fed up with stupid to sugar coat stuff....

Auto Transport Service
Back