• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dude, don’t lean on my car

Black_Sheep

Super Commando
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
At a car show on Monday a participant parked a few cars down was wandering by and stopped to make small talk. The first thing he does is put his hand on my deck lid to steady himself then leans against my car. When I told him “dude, don’t lean on my car” he seemed butthurt and copped an attitude. After he left, I asked my buddy if I came off as a dick and he replied yes. Am I wrong here? The guy was driving a pretty nice 340 ‘Cuda, you’d think he would know better…

You buddy was right. You should have went over to the guy and apologized. While you leaned on his car!

I wasn't there, but...
Perhaps some diplomacy might have been in order?
I've run the gamut of responses to such situations, as they dictate at the time, I admit...

Usually, a leer or stare at the offending body part is all that is needed, but there admittedly
has been a time or two when more was called for.
Example:
Cruise-In in our local town, cars lined down both sides of downtown.
Wife and I have wandered off to eat and upon our return to Fred the GTX, we discover not
only one miscreant perched on the front of the car (I had left the hood open for display) but
TWO of them - his buddy was actually leaning over the roof, arms all folded on top and all.

Well...that brought out the less-than-diplomatic response from me, still tempered with a
bit of humor:
I walk right up to the dude on the roof and exclaim "nice GTX man!"
He smiles and doesn't move...
I continue "Is it YOURS?!?"
Now he suspects...and stammers out "no" while starting to withdraw...
I reply, while now staring at his friend on the front end "that's right, it's not."
Sternly...
They both got the hint, stammered out apologies...
When one tried to spit out an explanation, I waved him off - and we had a little chat about
respecting other peoples' property.

So...
Sometimes a look and some diplomacy is all it takes - but other times, the density of the subject
requires a bit more. :thumbsup:

The oil's and whatever they have been touching can cause paint damage. I would imagen he would also ask people not to lean or touch his car. Guess we have to put up signs saying look but don't touch.

i use to take my little girls to cruze nights. they were taught to never NEVER touch the cars. the owners sweat and blood is in thoes cars. even if it is a project he just started and its a rust bucker. also if its not yours don't touch

Exactly why I don't take my cars to shows anymore. I don't have the patience to sit and babysit a car, and there are always a$$clowns that touch and lean on an expensive paint job. So no, I don't think you were being a dick. I have said far worse to guys that have done the same to my cars. But then again, people say I am a ******** at times, lol.

i use to take my little girls to cruze nights. they were taught to never NEVER touch the cars. the owners sweat and blood is in thoes cars. even if it is a project he just started and its a rust bucker. also if its not yours don't touch
Would that more parents could teach their children the basic concept of respecting others' property.
It would solve much of the worlds' ills, methinks.

Exactly why I don't take my cars to shows anymore. I don't have the patience to sit and babysit a car, and there are always a$$clowns that touch and lean on an expensive paint job. So no, I don't think you were being a dick. I have said far worse to guys that have done the same to my cars. But then again, people say I am a ******** at times, lol.
Might be a different culture here, I dunno...
We regularly attend local events with Fred, no fear of that.
We even bring chairs along, although they're seldom used - we're on the move usually.
No babysitting and only the rare occurrence of miscreants a leanin'.

If they had to put the sweet and tears in painting a car of our categories, they would think twice. Maybe!!!!! Have had people run their hands down the side of my car and have a ring on their finger. I say PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THE CAR. I have gotten some glares. But I don't feel bad due to 3000 dollars put into the paint primer and body fillers. Not to mention all the hours and hours with the cost of thinners and all the other things you have to buy just to paint a car. Yellow tape is not cheap and the time to tape off the car. When painting my car had built some bench to walk on and put ape hangers on the roof of my booth to steady myself. Guess I was tired, and it was late when starting the paint job. First coat on the roof and down the sail panels. Got down and looked from the front of the car at the roof. Ho I said to myself. Looked like it was darker in the middle. I know that when spraying started far enough from one side to the other. So knocked off and went inside and took a rest. After resting went back out wet sanded the paint back downs and reshot the roof blended into the sail panels. This time it looked good. May have been some kind of shading from my lights or I was just tired. But did make the job a heck of a lot longer than it should have.

Would that more parents could teach their children the basic concept of respecting others' property.
It would solve much of the worlds' ills, methinks.
Yes sir, respect is the most important, when it comes to anything. Not just property, everything. I raised my kids with this. Someone can say they love you or like you, that’s easy. Showing respect, proves it. It should happen with everyone you meet, until there’s a reason not to. Take care!

I've been to a few cars & coffee events this year. No shows, so far. Got the Hot Rod 100 coming up on 23 September, and the local Mopar show on 7 October. The enthusiasm level for hitting an event or cruise this year has been a resounding zero.

Might be a different culture here, I dunno...
We regularly attend local events with Fred, no fear of that.
We even bring chairs along, although they're seldom used - we're on the move usually.
No babysitting and only the rare occurrence of miscreants a leanin'.
I've posted previously about the contrast in culture between my college town, and the surrounding communities. We used to have a local show in State College, invitation only, for top tier cars, many in the six figure range. My four speed GTX was a regular attendee, until 2019, when the town fathers decided they no longer wanted to shut the downtown streets for a day. I was relieved when the show died out - I had to guard the car constantly when I attended. No respect from kids, or adults.

When I attend a show these days, which isn't often, they are usually based in areas that were coal mining towns in their heyday. Cars on display are often still in the hands of their original owners, or they are from the area, and have been restored by others who were around when they were new. Audience is friends and relatives. Totally different experience, don't have to stay with the car.

I think the sentiment of the OP is spot on and those of us who have our labor of love poured into our cars can appreciate it.
How it's communicated AND the perception of the hearer makes all the difference in the outcome.
These days, many folks get offended so easily at the some of the most insignificant things. It can make it very difficult, in fact down right impossible at times, to communicate effectively.
I keep telling myself not to give up trying to communicate to folks that seem to be ignorant of things I'm more aware of. Far easier said than done in my experience.

Everybody wants to be a Pharoh!!

IMG_6911.png

I guess I'm one who has a different take on this "at times" if the person is respectful to me. I have seen people trying to get closer to my car for a better look inside even with the top down - this is on my 71 Challenger Shaker convertible. I've had the car since 1972 and want people to enjoy the car. I've let people get in and sit at the wheel to have a photo taken. I've let them stand next to the car with hands or arms on it and have no problem as long as they're respectful and careful (no exposed belt buckles). The individuals have really appreciated being able to do this. One year I changed the "Please Look, Don't Touch" sign to read "Please Look and Touch". People thought it was comical. This is me and not for everyone.
Terry W.

I suppose you could have said "please" don't lean on my car.....

if he was butthurt over it, he's probably a douche anyway

Had a gal plop her purse on my hood once while she dug through it.

Auto Transport Service
Back