• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 727 filter

wedgie

Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Recently purchased an original '63 Polara with a poly 318 and 727. Just starting to do some maintenance on it. The transmission filter is a "can" that is inline with the trans line, It is original I've seen them before, but now I own one. I haven't dropped the pan, therefore I hope that someone might tell me if there is a regular pickup in the trans that I can swap to a later in pan filter OR better yet, are replacement in line filters available. I checked Rock Auto and they show a typical in pan filter for a '63 but for '62, there is nothing.
I appreciate any replies.

I believe those early 727's also have the in-pan filter screen on the pump pick up.
That trans should have a front and rear oil pump and will have 2 suction holes in the screen.
I have never seen any original external filter assembly on a 727, that is installed in the line to the radiator?
Any pictures by any chance?
For the filter cans you could measure the original filter o.d., i.d and length and find a replacement filter from a general brand that has a suitable filtration size.

Yes you can change the pan and remove the screen and replace the filter.
The filter has a 2 pickup for the front and rear pump. They are still available.It's been awhile, I would do a search.
Also a GM can fuel filter late 70's has standard fittings and not metric. Some have used this filter successfully.

How is it attached to the line? Hose with clamps or flare nuts? Sometimes manufactures would supply a filter that you placed in the return line of the trans. This was to catch shrapnel before it got into the trans and wiping it out. Mostly just a band aid. There may have been a TSB, technical service bulletin, from the mother ship back in the day to do this. I never saw anything from my dealer parts days with Mopar. I did see it when I was working at a Subaru dealer. I would eliminate it and either make or buy a new line.

It is a factory inline filter. In front of the starter. 1962-63. Bolts in with flare fittings. I’m not aware or any new ones for sale.

Yes in the pan is A filter, you can’t change the filter type to the newer design, you need one with the 2 holes for front and rear pump. 1966 and newer have one hole.

It is a factory inline filter. In front of the starter. 1962-63. Bolts in with flare fittings. I’m not aware or any new ones for sale.

Yes in the pan is A filter, you can’t change the filter type to the newer design, you need one with the 2 holes for front and rear pump. 1966 and newer have one h

Thanks for the replies R413 is exactly right about my in line filter. As soon as I find a source for type A transmission fluid, I am going to drop the pan. If I can't find another factory in line filter, reluctantly, I'll bend up some new transmission collant lines. 50-60 years ago, when I was racing Mopars, we used to use type F. This car is so original that I am doing whatever I can to keep it that way.

trans filter01.jpg

trans filter02.jpg

trans filter03.jpg

trans filter04.jpg

Yes in the pan is A filter, you can’t change the filter type to the newer design, you need one with the 2 holes for front and rear pump. 1966 and newer have one hole.

...and a newer pan for the deeper filter. The original pan won't go on with the newer style filter.

Thanks for the replies R413 is exactly right about my in line filter. As soon as I find a source for type A transmission fluid, I am going to drop the pan. If I can't find another factory in line filter, reluctantly, I'll bend up some new transmission collant lines. 50-60 years ago, when I was racing Mopars, we used to use type F. This car is so original that I am doing whatever I can to keep it that way.

View attachment 1385426

View attachment 1385427

View attachment 1385428

View attachment 1385429

I'm using Type F in mine. Walmart had it the last time I needed some.

I installed new cooler lines and eliminated the inline filter. Had to obtain a newer pan which is just a little deeper to except the new style filter (two hole) Good luck!

I did a stock rebuild on my 65 Coronet and used Mopar ATF+4 fluid. Works great. Check the specs for ATF+4 and you will find it beats all the older type fluids in every category.
Mike

When you have a situation like that, you have to decide just how bad you need that trophy from the show. If you are a crafty sort, maybe you can gut it and keep it there.

Definitely not ever going to be a show car. I just want to keep it as stock as possible. This thing is amazingly solid. I have done a few early B's. Every one had rust issues in the cowl, especially on the driver's side, and floor issues. The poly runs great. I put points, plugs, and wires on.
Put new brake shoes and master and wheel cylinders on after I found my old rear drum puller.
New gas tank, fuel pump, carb and water pump.
New pump and cylinders for the top.
A lot of little things that I still want to do.
Getting back to the transmission filter; I think that I'll search for something about the same size as the original and use it. My pockets ain't deep enough for a factory replacement.
I really do appreciate all of the answers.
John

I agree with all above. Dextron II ATF+4 or Type F . TorqueFlights are happy with any of the three.

Auto Transport Service
Back