• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay Change?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Have used fleabay for over 20 years. Seems that it has become progressively more & more unfriendly to use. And trying to talk to a human is a bee-itch. About 2 years ago, got weary of the shipping estimates/costs. Accordingly, just started posting stuff with free shipping building some of the fees into the price (often lowering it to sell it) to be done with it and figuring free shipping is appealing. Recently, found that shipping options don't include selecting free shipping. Could be doing someting wong. So tried to get help. Yep, nope! Bullshit obtaining automated replies NOT answering my friggin question! Then they ask "was this helpful". Is it fleabay can't afford an easy assistance line? I do believe they snag more than fair % when something sells. I'd like to tell them to get f'd; but can't find anyone to let 'em know, lol. And if I do, reckon I'll get a reply "was this helpful!" + one more lol.

I have not been to ebay for about 8 + years. Could be longer. Cannot be bothered. Must admit , it was a good way to sell to a world wide market. But the fees for the dollar amount sold didnt line up for me.

I sold crap loads of Porsche parts back in the day. I really made a killing. 914 tail light assemblies for $285 each to Argentina plus shipping. Both of those paid for the entire car I was parting out. I sold all over the world. Made a damn good buck on it too. I bought and scraped a bunch of cars and what didn't sell...I got scrap value at the junkyard. I really made a killing. Of course I kept anything I needed to keep my fleet going. All for less than free.

Now ebay is like a cheap brothel, it ain't the best and you walk away pissin blood

Yeah, the hassles to sell anything of size, like I once could, are gone. Lots a stuff has gone to Goodwill and the scrap yard I once would post. Not long ago got an offer to buy an item – lol – that would have cost me more to ship it than dumping it in the trash. Oh yeah, here’s this 30 buck item with shipping fees consuming more than half the ******* price of it and I’ll LOSE paying $35 to ship it! Not including the 20 mile round trip in gas and my time packaging it. TRASH it goes.

i stopped end of last year when they lowered the 1099 threshold from 20000.00 to 600.00.

it was great because u had nationwide marketing but now with the 30% 1099 and ebays 14% cut mite as well just throw it away. and paypal does the same now along with all other electronic pay methods,,,,

regarding getting someone on the phone it can be done thru ebay contact button but it can be tricky and the results r not gauranteed by any means..some of them have instant attitudes,,,F U !! No F U ! my last contact...lol.

Yeah, I know only too well what a shitshow ebay has become. I could still be making good coin, but they screw you at every turn with extra fees and other BS

they are making it impossible to make a profit....and then to declare the income ?? WTF ?? IRS didn't do one thing to help me disassemble any of these cars. Why should they get a cut of my work ? That is why I don't do it anymore. I could move to a different venue, I suppose...

I agree with @Skytrooper I was doing close to 20k a year in sales, (coins) and **** really started going down hill 2017 or so, so bye bye ebay. Really stupid what they have done. It's all drop shipper crap and good luck selling anything these days unless your a 5 star drop shipper mega volume Chinese crap seller that makes them money.

Have never sold anything on Egag and don't intend to but have bought a fair amount of stuff from it. Some car stuff but mostly 'other' stuff....

How does anyone compete with the likes of Amazon? Key-reist, shipping **** is outrageous and only gotten worse every time I calc shipping fees...even for smaller stuff. No doubt a lot of nice stuff has gone to the scrap recyclers cuz ya can’t friggin afford to sell it. Being a geezer, my interest is to clean house, selling or dumping **** to clear out my garage and attic…with the realization I no longer will ‘get to this or that project’ anymore. Mind-boggling though, how Amazon does it. We get stuff in a huge box and the content is 10% or less, of the size of the box! Then we’re getting screwed on costs on box size for shipping even it if weighs a lb.

Thinking I’ll invite Bezos over to load up all my stuff in a moving van (or two) offer him a beer (cheap domestic brew though) and say take it all man – all yours while you enjoy more wealth than you could spend recklessly in 50 or 100 lifetimes.

I sold about 3 items on ebag about 18 years ago....and the constant back & forth emails associated with each sale just took the fun out of it.

Made decent money, but after the fees and the BS emailing....it wasn't really worth the effort. I just buy now.

When they deleted Vintage car and truck parts it really went to **** finding parts. Searches have mostly modern parts unless you modify your search. 1099 sucks think feds had something to do with that.

Just sold a complete A Body AM radio on eBay that worked perfectly and was very pretty. Both of us were perfectly happy. I'll have to pay $30 in income tax on it and I'm proud to do it. God bless America.

It’s gotten to the point, for me, that I rarely click on fleabay any more. There’s just not anything good (Mopar related) any longer on there.

Have never sold anything on Egag and don't intend to but have bought a fair amount of stuff from it. Some car stuff but mostly 'other' stuff....
Like minds!! I don't sell anything, but, I have bought more stuff on eBay than anywhere. Hundreds of buys, never a problem. Pick a seller with a great rating and let the fun begin!!

Auto Transport Service
Back