• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Mopar 440 distributor junk!!!

shoelesskk

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
If you are thinking about purchasing one of the ebay 440/383 distributors listed as Pro Billet and sell for around 40 or 50 bucks think again. If you have one already think about upgrading to a Firecore distributor. My 493 stroker engine wants more initial advance that a stock 440. I wants around 18 to 20 degrees and it would run fine but the mechanical advance would push it out to 44 or 45 degrees at 2500 rpm. It also would not idle well below 1100 rpm and die once I placed it in drive. I originally thought it was because my torque converter was too tight (2200 to 2800 stall) but decided to change the distributor after reading a few other post. Man what a difference it made in the car! It idles really well even with the Comp Cams .507/510 duration at .050 240/246 camshaft. It idles well at 900 rpm and does not drag down or die when placed in drive. The firecore distributor also allows you to change the mechanical advance. I just had to pull the shaft out and loosen two screws and turn the advance plate. I did not have the Mopar advance key firecore suggested. I just moved the advance plate toward the middle of the slot. Worked out perfect now my mechanical advance is all in at 38 degrees at 2500 rpm. The car runs like it should with the 493. I cant say enough good things about the firecore distributor its around 165.00 but well work the money. The ebay distributors might work well with a stock 440/383 but if you have a stoker engine with a different cam try the firecore.

Attachments

• 440 Distributor.jpg
    440 Distributor.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 496
Really? Almost illegally cheap parts not doing what they claim? No WAY!!!:toothy9:

Are you saying you had the eBay cheapie and went to a firecore, or are you just labeling something junk that you haven't tried?

No I tried the cheap ebay distributor and broke my engine in with it but just couldn't get the tune right. The car was basically not drivable. The engine wouldn't idle correct and kept dying when shifted to drive. This is why I went with the firecore. Anyway I just wanted to put it out there in case someone is having similar issues with the cheap ebay distributors.

You get what you pay for !!!

Yep, those look sketchy at best. Do a search on there for msd 318 distributor and about 95% of the items are those sketchy billet msd type distributors. Buyer beware.

There must be a reason for this ? I never saw an engine stall under these conditions. Mechanical distributors are not that complex, that the problem can't be figured out. Just my 2 cents.

Auto Transport Service
Back