• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fan

TN Mopar

Local time
4:19 AM
Reaction score
I have had problems with my charger heating up in traffic so I made the decision to an electric fan and shroud. I had no shroud
I ordered one from Champion Cooling who made my radiator. I opted for the high performance upgrade to the better fan
How ever today when we went to install it, The fan hit the water pump pulley. It is too thick
I will have to call Champion Monday but I am wondering if anyone who uses an electric fan can tell me which fan they use, how well it fits, and how well it works
I looked at low profile fans but I am not happy with the rated CFM and am worried it wont move enough air

On my Charger the only way I could make an electric fan work was by using 2, using 2 allows the fan motors to sit off to the sides of the water pump pulley. Traffic temps are way more stable now.

I'm using a Mercedes C-class fan in my 70 Charger (440 engine, 26" radiator). Space is tight (had to trim the water pump pulley bolt heads 1/16") but it fits and moves a ton of air.

I mounted my fan on the front of the radiator on my 1968 GTX with a 440 engine.
Works fine and gives good access to the front of the engine.

post some pics please

the transmission cooler is mounted to the front of my radiator

I will post some pics but busy sorting out my brothers property for the next few days.
You could move the trans cooler towards the grill or the side a little. So long as it gets some airflow it would be fine.
I cannot remember the name but there is a fan for hot rods that has the motor mounted at the side and a little toothed belt drive turns the fan. Pricey but nice product.
One guy in my car club has one and it works well.

How many blades on your engine fan. I had problems with my car overheading too. Discovered that my radiator was full of crap and cap was not sealing due to bent lip on it too. Plus someone had put on a 4 bladed fan. I put in a new radiator that matched the old one and found the correct fan for my car (383HP) 7 blades. Works great now and does not get more than just below 190 on a hot day in traffic.

How many blades on your engine fan. I had problems with my car overheading too. Discovered that my radiator was full of crap and cap was not sealing due to bent lip on it too. Plus someone had put on a 4 bladed fan. I put in a new radiator that matched the old one and found the correct fan for my car (383HP) 7 blades. Works great now and does not get more than just below 190 on a hot day in traffic.

It is a brand new Champion Aluminum Radiator
The fan is a Derale Flex fan and it is the problem
It doesn't move enough air at idle in the Tennessee heat
I am just trying to figure out how to get the electric fans to fit and work in our Chargers

The standard shroud/clutch fan with I think 7 blades do work well - just an option as posted earlier.

The standard shroud/clutch fan with I think 7 blades do work well - just an option as posted earlier.
Yep, and forgot to mention also that the shroud that was on my car was a Ford. Someone really did some odd things before me. Replaced it with the correct one.

I have had problems with my charger heating up in traffic so I made the decision to an electric fan and shroud. I had no shroud
I ordered one from Champion Cooling who made my radiator. I opted for the high performance upgrade to the better fan
How ever today when we went to install it, The fan hit the water pump pulley. It is too thick
I will have to call Champion Monday but I am wondering if anyone who uses an electric fan can tell me which fan they use, how well it fits, and how well it works
I looked at low profile fans but I am not happy with the rated CFM and am worried it wont move enough air
I’m using the champion 4 core radiator and their twin fans and shroud on my ‘70 GTX with a 440 in it. No issues with fitting at all. Are you using a large single fan? My car runs cool here in Texas in 100 degree heat at 70 mph on the interstate with a 3 speed 727 and 355 gears. Prior to this, it ran hot with the factory radiator, clutch fan. I also added a 440 source water pump housing and their high flow water pump.
2E539204-B934-4071-B5C6-6351A85E66E8.jpeg

I have a $200 afco fan with a single spal 16" pusher fan on a 545 ci blown hemi.In 90* heat it runs 185/190*
So many guys spend $1200+ and still have a problem.Triple check the timing curve and make sure it's not running lean,or as Roland Leong would say,,,,,,,,a ween condishon:lol:

I just purchased the Champion 22" combo for my 66 Charger with 383 motor and they claim it's 6.25" thick. They switched out the fan for the Spal 1516 that should be a little thinner. I have 7" from core support to pulley so hopefully it will fit but won't know until it gets here Wednesday.

Last edited:
I called Champion and they are sending me another fan
the tape measure says it will be close but should work fine

If this doesn't work my alternatives are not going to be cheap
but I may have to go to the 26 inch Radiator and dual fans

I called Champion and they are sending me another fan
the tape measure says it will be close but should work fine

If this doesn't work my alternatives are not going to be cheap
but I may have to go to the 26 inch Radiator and dual fans

Champion has a 22" radiator that has a dual fan shroud but I think its listed in the application for a 66-67 Coronet, I ran into the same issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back