• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fuel pump

kelly

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting a electric fuel pump on my 440 6 pack.
Any ideas to the kind I should use.

You'll probably get lots of recommendations but there is one main thing to consider. The most common brands are designed for racing or short term use. If you are talking about a street car, whatever you decide on, look for a pump that claims it is for "continuous duty". You might also consider that most electric fuel pumps are pretty loud but some creative mounting can help that.

You'll probably get lots of recommendations but there is one main thing to consider. The most common brands are designed for racing or short term use. If you are talking about a street car, whatever you decide on, look for a pump that claims it is for "continuous duty". You might also consider that most electric fuel pumps are pretty loud but some creative mounting can help that.
this is spot on! i don't know of any aftermarket performance electric pumps that are rated for continuous duty. this is why i use and do some mods to mechanical pumps for driving.

i just installed an Aeromotive Stealth 340 Phantom in tank fuel pump kit in my Roadrunner. It turns your stock fuel tank into an in tank, Sumped system. It can be plumbed as a return or non return system and is designed for continuous use and good for 1000hp carbureted and 850hp EFI and is DEAD QUIET. All you hear is the rush of fuel flowing through the lines back to the tank. The kit comes with everything you need except the fuel line and a 3 1/4" hole saw. Very awesome system and the Areomotive quality is second to none.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aei-17255

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

i just installed an Aeromotive Stealth 340 Phantom in tank fuel pump kit in my Roadrunner. It turns your stock fuel tank into an in tank, Sumped system. It can be plumbed as a return or non return system and is designed for continuous use and good for 1000hp carbureted and 850hp EFI and is DEAD QUIET. All you hear is the rush of fuel flowing through the lines back to the tank. The kit comes with everything you need except the fuel line and a 3 1/4" hole saw. Very awesome system and the Areomotive quality is second to none.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aei-17255

View attachment 278172View attachment 278173View attachment 278174

what about a blue holley pump? anyone used one of these?

- - - Updated - - -

will a holley blue pump work?

what about a blue holley pump? anyone used one of these?

- - - Updated - - -

will a holley blue pump work?

Holley blue will work but it will be very loud. I have used the red and blue; would not recommend the red at all. I use mine as a pusher and backup pump for a mechanical with a switch. If you do go with the Holley it is a good idea to run a restricted return line to circulate fuel. You can deadhead these pumps but they will heat up fuel and the pump itself. I prefer mechanicals for the simplicity and quiet operation.

I would suggest to do more research. There are newer Mallory pumps that are supposed to be more quiet and have a broader performance range than the basic holleys. 74beepers setup sounds pretty trick as well. Just depends on what your goal is. What pump are you using now?

Holley blue will work but it will be very loud. I have used the red and blue; would not recommend the red at all. I use mine as a pusher and backup pump for a mechanical with a switch. If you do go with the Holley it is a good idea to run a restricted return line to circulate fuel. You can deadhead these pumps but they will heat up fuel and the pump itself. I prefer mechanicals for the simplicity and quiet operation.

I would suggest to do more research. There are newer Mallory pumps that are supposed to be more quiet and have a broader performance range than the basic holleys. 74beepers setup sounds pretty trick as well. Just depends on what your goal is. What pump are you using now?

Right now it's a NEW carter from summit and does not pump all the time. It seems to work when cold but quits when warm.

Right now it's a NEW carter from summit and does not pump all the time. It seems to work when cold but quits when warm.

What part#? Elec or mech? Take a look at the mallory 4110 and 4140 for quiet and Holley blue for cheap and loud. There is also a 4070 that is 70 gph, the 4140/50 will be overkill.

A friend of mine has a 70 Cuda 440+6 and he runs a high volume low pressure electric Carter pump as a pusher up to the original Carter mechanical. He's at about 650hp and has no fuel supply problems. I was going to go that route as well but came across the Aeromotive Phantom system and just had to have it.

Right now I'm using a manuel carter. It's new from summit.

I just removed an outboard Carter pump and installed a Phantom inboard pump. I had two pumps before the Carter but the noise was more than I could stand. The Carter was mounted to the frame rail with stand-off insulators and was the quietest pump I ever had. Ran it for 3 seasons (15,000) and never had an issue. The strange thing about the pump was a label attached to the outside stating that it was for aviation use and for some reason it was black in color. It didn't whine like most rotary pumps but seemed to pulse instead making it very quiet. I purchased it from Summit but was unable to find the part number again when someone inquired about it. The pump ran continuously while driving and could muster pretty high flow and pressure in the 18 pound range. I had to use a regulator to get it down to 6 p.s.i. but it never waivered from the set pressure, ever. Electrical draw was about 4.5 amps. The carb was an 850 and never seemed to starve for fuel so I know the pump was more than adequate. This was the only outboard pump that I was ever satisfied with as far as noise level and capability. Too bad I can't find the product number.

I just removed an outboard Carter pump and installed a Phantom inboard pump. I had two pumps before the Carter but the noise was more than I could stand. The Carter was mounted to the frame rail with stand-off insulators and was the quietest pump I ever had. Ran it for 3 seasons (15,000) and never had an issue. The strange thing about the pump was a label attached to the outside stating that it was for aviation use and for some reason it was black in color. It didn't whine like most rotary pumps but seemed to pulse instead making it very quiet. I purchased it from Summit but was unable to find the part number again when someone inquired about it. The pump ran continuously while driving and could muster pretty high flow and pressure in the 18 pound range. I had to use a regulator to get it down to 6 p.s.i. but it never waivered from the set pressure, ever. Electrical draw was about 4.5 amps. The carb was an 850 and never seemed to starve for fuel so I know the pump was more than adequate. This was the only outboard pump that I was ever satisfied with as far as noise level and capability. Too bad I can't find the product number.
I love my Phantom inboard.....

ive got a holley blue pump on mine. works great ive never had a problem loud thats an understatement. thats what got me to looking at this thread i was hoping someone had some good advice on a good pump thats quieter.

Areomotive is a top notch supplier. I'm running an exterior Aeromotive pump on the '64, and yes its noisy. the blower noise drowns it out. I have a FORE twin pump fuel hat in the '08 an it's whisper quiet, dependable and used without problems.

good luck with your decision.

Areomotive is a top notch supplier. I'm running an exterior Aeromotive pump on the '64, and yes its noisy. the blower noise drowns it out. I have a FORE twin pump fuel hat in the '08 an it's whisper quiet, dependable and used without problems.

good luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone. Still not sure on what to get. I know it's going to be a good one but don't have a lot to spend on one.

If you think the pump isn't operating correctly, you can do some simple volume and pressure tests without spending any money. You can also check the push rod's length. If the pump is indeed defective, return it to Summit and get another. Mechanical pumps work well, do the job and are quiet. Besides, why spend money on something that doesn't improve your ride and no-one can see it? lol...

What part#? Elec or mech? Take a look at the mallory 4110 and 4140 for quiet and Holley blue for cheap and loud. There is also a 4070 that is 70 gph, the 4140/50 will be overkill.

I'd be careful about a Mallory for the time being. Not long ago MSD bought Mallory. I called Mallory/MSD to inquire about repair to my Mallory 140 (300+ dollars and 4 races). Customer service told me they were only repairing pumps still in warranty. I just saw a post that said Holley bought MSD.

ive got a holley blue pump on mine. works great ive never had a problem loud thats an understatement. thats what got me to looking at this thread i was hoping someone had some good advice on a good pump thats quieter.
holley g e r o t o r

If you think the pump isn't operating correctly, you can do some simple volume and pressure tests without spending any money. You can also check the push rod's length. If the pump is indeed defective, return it to Summit and get another. Mechanical pumps work well, do the job and are quiet. Besides, why spend money on something that doesn't improve your ride and no-one can see it? lol...

It's the same one that was in it at the rebuilt. How would you check out the length anyway.

Auto Transport Service
Back