• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eliminate A/C from my 318 Satellite?

skirkpatrick

Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew if you could easily eliminate the A/C components from the 318 engine in a 1973 Satellite. It looked easy at first, but after I took a closer look there seem to be some bolts that are really difficult to get to and the lines might tie into other systems. It doesn't work and I don't need it, it's just adding weight and taking up space. Anyone done this before, or have any tips?

If you want to do this, you'll have to get the front engine bracketry from a non-ac car, since the brackets are different and the AC compressor runs off two belts that also run the alternator. Shouldn't be that hard, but it was more trouble that I wanted to deal with on my 318 '73 Satellite. I left the AC compressor mounted and use it as an idler pulley so that I didn't have to change the brackets. Although I may, someday, fix the AC system so that it works.

You just need to properly evacuate the system and find the brackets for a non-a/c 318. It was done to my satellite by a previous owner and I want to put it back to A/C

Well, I'm definitely glad I didn't just start tearing stuff off. I guess it stays on for now. Thanks guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back