• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eliminating the use of the Amp. meter

wedge5

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I have heard that the stock in dash amp. meter is fire prone so I would like to by pass it.
I have the Alt. wire going to the master cut-off switch so there isn't a wire going to the alt. hook up on the bulkhead connector. What else do I need to do to eliminate the amp meter in the dash.

By-Passing The Amp Gauge

Your sources are correct--the Amp gauge has turned many a Mopar driver into a pedestrian. The back of your Amp gauge has two terminals--disconnect either wire (doesn't matter which) and reconnect it to the other terminal--basically connecting the two wire ends using that terminal as a locked holder for the two. Install a volt meter and sleep easily knowing you've improved your ride. All the best, Bob L.

Awesome. I was under the dash doing some rewiring of stuff and installing my volt meter so I know the wires you are talking about.

Can I just bypass connecting the wires to the amp meter and connect those two wires together. The old wires are kind of brittle so I was thinking about replacing them with new 10ga.wire start to finish. I have slowly been replacing old wires over the years. A bad bulkhead connection left me walking. People see the car on the side of the road and that gives Mopar a bad name.

Does anyone make some type of "upgrade" the could turn the ampmeter into a voltmeter to keep it looking like it's funcional and original? I bet that would be a big seller....

A~

I have been talking to Amanda at Dash-Worx [email protected] She says they are converting original ammeter gauges to voltmeters, and using their sending unit and voltage limiter. Sounds like a good idea, but I haven't tried it yet. They are advertising this service in MCG.

bypassing the amp meter eliminates this problem but doesn't take care of the bulkhead connector problem. The entire load is rotated from the charging system through the bulkhead connector, through the ampmeter, and then back out the bulkhead connector. The problem is tha the terminals in the bulkhead are really not big enough to handle the load. And this is particularly true when they get a small amount of corrosion on them. There is an article on how to bypass the bulkhead connector on the Moparts website.

I agree that it would be nice if someone stepped up to the plate and offered a voltmeter that fit into the ampmeter hole as it were and looked like the other gauges. But I don't think anyone has one that I'm aware of.

yeah, it would be nice to have a stock location volt meter. These diagrams are a great before and after way to upgrade the electrical system though...great find burntorange!!

Attachments

• plymouth charge circuit.jpg
    plymouth charge circuit.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,592
  • plymouth circuit upgrade.jpg
    plymouth circuit upgrade.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,030
bypassing the amp meter eliminates this problem but doesn't take care of the bulkhead connector problem. The entire load is rotated from the charging system through the bulkhead connector, through the ampmeter, and then back out the bulkhead connector. The problem is tha the terminals in the bulkhead are really not big enough to handle the load. And this is particularly true when they get a small amount of corrosion on them. There is an article on how to bypass the bulkhead connector on the Moparts website.

I agree that it would be nice if someone stepped up to the plate and offered a voltmeter that fit into the ampmeter hole as it were and looked like the other gauges. But I don't think anyone has one that I'm aware of.

Shoot, I'm willing to bypass the bulkhead all together if I could use the original gauge as a voltmeter. Unfortunately the one ours is fried, as I'm sure are most, so I can't even try to get it to work.

There is some info on this and other good mods to do here. http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

That is a great find! Thanks for sharing.

A~

Auto Transport Service
Back