• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emissions question new vehicle

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
Does this sticker mean that no smog is needed in California? Car purchased in Oregon which would appear to be contiguous. AAA doesn’t know a$$ from hole in ground.

A493FA3D-1897-406C-A424-A63DC71BFD7B.jpeg

In 2003, Mary and I bought a new Honda CRV from out of state. We had to take it to be tested here in CA just to satisfy the DMV. It passed easily.

Trying to register in California.

Trying to register in California.
I reckon you're good. If the sticker DIDN'T say California on it, then you'd be screwed.

Im just going by the seat of my pants here, so maybe call someone on the CARB board?

California has, historically, had the most stringent emission requirements of all the states in the union. Other states may adopt the same standards, but those that don't generally have lesser requirements.

The standards change (improve) with each model year. This sticker shows the vehicle meets the greater (than other states) California emission requirements for model year 2023.

When registering ANY vehicle in California, if the vehicle DOES NOT meet the CALIFORNIA emissions requirements for the vehicle's model year, then the owner pays an extra fee each year they renew the registration.

This sticker is often all that is needed when the car is inspected to evade this extra fee. You want to make sure this sticker is in place the FIRST time you register the vehicle in California. Once the CA DMV records the vehicle does NOT meet the CA emission requirements, then you're stuck paying the extra fee, even if you add the missing components.

Some vehicles are only made with the California emission standards, and the CA DMV computers may already know this. But on those vehicles where it may or may not have the standards, an inspection (often by the certified smog place) is usually required the first time you register.

All vehicles made are 50 State emissions legal. However, since Dennis didn’t buy it in Commiefornia, he will need to get it weighed, inspected by the CHP, smogged in Commiefornia and if the State he bought in has a lower tax rate, Commiefornia will get the money from that State and he will be in the hook for the balance. If that State has a higher tax rate, Commiefornia will get what they want from that State and that State will keep the remainder.

That is what happened when I bought my 11 Ram 2500 6.7 4x4 in Arizona and registered it in Commiefornia 3 years ago. But it was used and Dennis got a new vehicle, it may be different for that.

Found this in the Oregon DMV paperwork.

6993C912-A6DB-4898-BE5A-47C40582C53A.jpeg

Out-of-state vehicles need a smog test and VIN verification to register in Ca.
You cannot register an out-of-state vehicle with federal emissions and less than 7500 miles.

That emission label appears to be CA-compliant.

Edit; you have to get a weight cert for trucks.

Smog guy says car needs 350 miles before it can be smogged. Now driving with expired temp from Oregon to put miles on. DMV a zoo. Like Ellis Island only role reversal. Inmates now running the place. Actually had good employees there, just overwhelmed with volume. The line on the right went AROUND the building.

E9D1DD8A-337D-47BB-B74F-E60ABB5EA61E.jpeg

Mods, delete thread. Doesn’t matter how many questions you ask, nobody knows nuthin.
350 miles on a new car to be able to Smog? Is he making it up.
When going from commercial to class C, license MUST be surrendered at DMV. Have fun boarding a flight with the flimsy paperwork while waiting for the mail.

The Wife and I bought a NEW Honda 20 years ago, it was shipped from out of state. There was no delay in getting an emission test, we did it right away.

The Wife and I bought a NEW Honda 20 years ago, it was shipped from out of state. There was no delay in getting an emission test, we did it right away.
Thought I remembered that when I bought the 09. Maybe the smog guy is nuts.

Catalyst break-in. Who knew. I need to learn to ask the right questions.

4F183FF6-4A4D-48FF-B701-85D477399818.png

It could be that the law changed.
I do know that cars need to run a certain time to establish a “cycle” of running within the limits.

It could be that the law changed.
I do know that cars need to run a certain time to establish a “cycle” of running within the limits.
you are right in the repair manuals it is called a drive cycle to brake in. you know rings to seal or fail. there is a drive cycle if you replace trans or p.c.m also

Oregon mailed the paperwork to the California DMV in San Jose. Hope they didn’t lose it. If I had it, I’d just drive to Florida to register it. Simple. Inexpensive. No smog.

Auto Transport Service
Back