• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enamel clean up use laqer thinner?

YY1

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Can I do this?

My spray gun was cheap, but it works fairly well, and I don't want to ruin it.

Laquer thinner is all I use for cleaning my gun, but I am just a at home painting guy not a pro.Just dont be dumb like me lol, there always is some thiner still in the gun when you go to use it next. Blow it out before you put paint in the gun or you will have a mess.

Bodyshop grade lacquer thinner is the right stuff to do your initial cleaning, I always run some clean enamel reducer through the gun after the thinner, its not as hot and doesn't dry out your packing as quickly.

I've been doing some reducer before the thinner.

After sounds like a good idea, though.

I was just worried about mixing lacquer and enamel.

Bodyshop grade lacquer thinner is the right stuff to do your initial cleaning, I always run some clean enamel reducer through the gun after the thinner, its not as hot and doesn't dry out your packing as quickly.

I second this. Clean with thinner then follow with the reducer for the paint system you are using. Follow the directions for the paint on what is compatible.

Randy

Auto Transport Service
Back