• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Boss Location on a 383

Bigtime

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
Can somebody post a CLEAR photo for me of the engine boss on a 383. I know it's located close to the distributor but I've forgotten where. Help an old-timer out, please.
Thanks!

It'll be outboard of the distributor on a flat surface right over the water pump port. Can't miss it.....

The distributor is above the letter F in this photo
253EEACC-963E-4F80-B77F-73F9FFCE5E9B.jpeg

The numbers are on the flat that's in the dead center of the pic

IMG_20210806_162908753(1).jpg

If a 383 gets decked the numbers may be gone. It's the same surface as the head.

It'll be outboard of the distributor on a flat surface right over the water pump port. Can't miss it.....
Do I have to remove the dist. cap to see it? If it's a [ugh] 361 will there be a boss like the 383?

You shouldn't have to remove the distributer.Pad is below it. Just need something to do a little scraping. A 361, 383, 400 should be stamped in the same place.

Yes, same boss on all B blocks.
It is probably hard to see because of the alternator brackets and wiring, fuel line all are right on top of it.

Do I have to remove the dist. cap to see it? If it's a [ugh] 361 will there be a boss like the 383?

Did the 361 engine have the same boss & stamping?

You shouldn't have to remove the distributer.Pad is below it. Just need something to do a little scraping. A 361, 383, 400 should be stamped in the same place.
Sometimes a good shot of brake wash will let the numbers show up if the area is built up with grime....

It is probably hard to see because of the alternator brackets and wiring, fuel line all are right on top of it.

Yup....to all of the above....

Sometimes a good shot of brake wash will let the numbers show up if the area is built up with grime....

I believe that my alternator is in the way. The block is clean as a pin. The fender tag says it came with a 361, but it really runs STRONG.......it has a mild cam [no card], headman headers, Tarantula TM6 intake , 600 Eddy, and 906 heads, Pertronix module.....just FYI.

Sir, you are exactly right......the alternator is in the way, as well as the dist. cap. See info about the engine that I just posted, please. You guys are going to help me solve this yet!

Not saying a 383 can't be strong but if it's pumping out 1hp per cubic inch (which is pretty good), 17 more hp could make the difference in running strong or running strong :)

Now I see what you are looking for. What year is your car ?
Now I know 361's get a bad wrap but it is a big block and it sounds like everything needed to wake up the motor has been done to yours if it is indeed a 361.
In 1959 a 361 2bbl made 305hp with 400# torque
In 1960 a 361 2bbl made 295hp with 390# torque
They did start lowering compression after that so the numbers went down.

Now I see what you are looking for. What year is your car ?
Now I know 361's get a bad wrap but it is a big block and it sounds like everything needed to wake up the motor has been done to yours if it is indeed a 361.
In 1959 a 361 2bbl made 305hp with 400# torque
In 1960 a 361 2bbl made 295hp with 390# torque
They did start lowering compression after that so the numbers went down.
Ok, I moved the alternator, and here's what I found:

D 383
2 12

Should/are there any more #s? I figure that "D" isfor April and 383 [thank goodness] is 383 cu. in. What do the other numbers mean?

Please see my other post......I had to sandpaper the paint off [engine is clean.......D 383 and 2 12......can't figure out the 2 12?

Auto Transport Service
Back