• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine rebuild on my '67 Coronet 500 - 383 4 BBL

Fun stuff Tek, is the assembler (you guys) going to dyno the new engine build?

Fun stuff Tek, is the assembler (you guys) going to dyno the new engine build?

I am not sure. I would like to, but also the only way I can do it easily is IN the car. I would sure hate something to let go and kill my car..Engines can be built..But original panels are not easy to get.

Having said all that, the more I think of it, the more tempted I am. We are being ultra careful, and my mechanic is one of those, 'check everything 3 times, then once more' type. You should see him do the torque settings! ;)

Put on a head to check valve clearance, measure for pushrods.

20150409_200629.jpg20150409_200736.jpg20150409_202721.jpg20150409_203716.jpg20150409_203733.jpg20150409_203738.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Tek!
I'm also proceeding with the 67 GTXs engine at the same time you are.
I have the 440 source aluminum heads.
they "Look" good to me

Well, another stage done. Heads are on and torqued down. Valley pan, RPM Performer on as well. This saturday we hope to have it in the car. Waiting on custom alloy spacers for my Hughes Rocker shafts. The torque convertor is now rebuilt for a 2500 stall. Radiator has finished being rebuilt and will be in the shop tomorrow. Only downer so far..YEAR ONE! I had HP manifolds on order for months with them..Got word today that not until early May. So I am now going to break in the motor with my stock manifolds. It cannot be helped, and it means fabricating down pipes for each set. Oh well. I need the car in the road as soon as possible. We will swap out the new HP manifolds once they arrive in May..(I don't trust Year One as far as I can spit on getting them to us then anyway).

20150416_215249.jpg20150416_215850.jpg20150416_215908.jpg20150416_223926.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good Tek!
I'm also proceeding with the 67 GTXs engine at the same time you are.
I have the 440 source aluminum heads.
they "Look" good to me

A mate of mine here has a 440 using those 440 Source heads too..It also has the flat tappet version of the Whiplash cam in it. I took some photos of his car for him last summer..

IMG_7115.jpg

Pisser about the manifolds...

Are you going to paint everything turquoise?

OK, well, we installed the engine today! Long day too, started at 9AM left the garage and 11:30 PM. Did not get the transmission in though. My stock flex plate needs to be replaced with a smaller one. The bolt pattern on my rebuilt torque converter is slightly smaller, since the stall was set higher. The transmission guy forgot to send the smaller flex plate. But, all electrics are in the engine bay now and ready for first fire up. We did a test fit for the new 2.5" Pypes X-Pipe exhaust. That's going to be easy as. I have to say the Pypes kit fits like a glove. We won't have to mod things much. We need to dimple both left and right sections that go over the axle, that is all.

We put the hood back on too, and aligned it. So next Saturday will be fire up day! Since we have a few small items coming this week.

All of my build photos from start until now are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19913797@N02/sets/72157648893354290/

IMG_2221.jpgIMG_2222.jpgIMG_2224.jpgIMG_2225.jpgIMG_2227.jpgIMG_2228.jpgIMG_2229.jpgIMG_2230.jpgIMG_2231.jpgIMG_2232.jpgIMG_2234.jpgIMG_2235.jpgIMG_2237.jpgIMG_2242.jpgIMG_2244.jpgIMG_2245.jpgIMG_2247.jpgIMG_2249.jpgIMG_2251.jpgIMG_2253.jpgIMG_2256.jpgIMG_2257.jpgIMG_2258.jpgIMG_2261.jpgIMG_2263.jpgIMG_2265.jpgIMG_2267.jpgIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2271.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Tek:icon_thumright:

OK!

FIRED UP!

[video]https://youtu.be/hxyZ5HBvrc4[/video]

Marathon effort. Saturday morning 9AM, until Sunday morning 5:30AM! Stopped twice to eat something. But basically 20 hours work..

We had to custom fab the exhaust from the factory manifolds (still using my stock ones until bloody Year One send my HP replicas), to the Pypes X-pipe. Then a little more fabrication of the Pypes 'kit' over the rear axles, since they sent us the wrong mufflers. We ordered the ones with the outlet from muffler to the back of the car to be CENTERED. Did they send this? No..We got ones with the outlet over to the far left and right of the car. So it placed the rest of the exhaust kit too close to the rear chassis rails. But we cut and shut here and there and it now fits better than factory. But it took us a lot of time to get it done.

This arvo we go back to the garage and re-adjust the rockers a little bit, have to adjust pre-load we reckon. Plus adjust timing and set up the Holley. But I hope to be driving it home tonight.

Thanks mate..You can probably HEAR me smiling all the way over there! :) hehe

Road test video..

[video=youtube;alM_ZtCcBak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alM_ZtCcBak[/video]

Note the strange metallic noise..Turned out to be the ARP flex plate bolts which have bigger bolt heads, striking the transmission block off plate. LOL, A little massaging of the plate and problem solved.

I love those shop marathon sessions, you sure can get allot done when you put your mind to it huh?

Looking and sounding good Tek, bet you were wondering what the heck that sound was until you figured it out!

Great Job!

tek did you add the vaccum pump for this roller cam? i see you have power brakes on your car.

No, I don't need it I reckon. Brakes still work without vacuum, you just need a strong leg. And it only affects at idle. I am going to see how I go with it. The pedal gets hard but I also have a habit of taking the car out of gear at traffic lights etc. So I think it will be OK. There is absolutely normal braking from speed, since vacuum is up then.

- - - Updated - - -

Tek are you going with solid Roller cam? or hydraulic? in either case need to make sure you have clearance for Hydraulic rollers.

As you can see, car is running..So component choice is done..And yes everything is roller, from Hughes..look at my previous photos mate. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I love those shop marathon sessions, you sure can get allot done when you put your mind to it huh?

Looking and sounding good Tek, bet you were wondering what the heck that sound was until you figured it out!

Great Job!

Yeah, I did have a few second of oh oh..before we located the source of the noise! Always fun with cars, right?

Please forgive the metallic clanking noise. It is the unused heat riser assembly which came loose from being wired open. My new manifolds will not have this system, but I am running in with my original factory manifolds. So it is flapping about in this video. And now it is pouring down outside so I have not had the chance to wire it back up.

[video]https://youtu.be/8MScXUimuZ4[/video]

Man, that is one quick 383, i'll be curious to see the dyno sheet, if you do. I'd guess 390-400 HP to the wheels!

We are planning to dyno it..I will post the results..Right now though we are preparing our RallyX Super car for the new season, so dyno time is being given to that car..First race will be in 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a added bonus. Here is a very short video of the actual first fire up, before we built the rest of the exhaust. So this is straight out of my factory manifolds. :) The timing was not right yet, and we actually had still had not fine tuned the preload setting on the roller rockers for the lifters.

[video]https://youtu.be/kzY0zaFyqzA[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back