• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine/trans/k-frame removal

diesel_lv

Local time
9:17 PM
Reaction score
I've searched throughout n Googled n can't find what I'm looking for. Other than the cradle made for a UTV lift, I don't quite understand how to get the assembly on to the dolly with the car high enough to crawl under to unbolt. For me to get under my car to unbolt trans crossmember, k-fram bolts, I need the car pretty high up. Then somehow support it from falling when I unbolt everything. I haven't been able to find any pics or videos of actually attaching and removing from car.

Thanks.

Engine install from underneath
Try searching this thread.
1 jack up car
2 support k member /rear of trans
3 undo bolts
4 lift car off assembly. Chain hoist, engine Crane etc

Engine install from underneath
Try searching this thread.
1 jack up car
2 support k member /rear of trans
3 undo bolts
4 lift car off assembly. Chain hoist, engine Crane etc
So basically lift car high enough for me to get under it, at least 18" but closer to 2', then build support that will meet up w trans n k member, then unbolt and raise car another 3-4' and then roll assembly out?

That's right. I just measured one on a k frame dolly and it's bang on 18" floor to bottom k frame.
Don't forget to check every single wire etc is unhooked from the motor

I used a cherry picker-engine hoist ....

12 R.JPG
13 R.JPG
28 R.JPG

I'll gladly post more pictures if you'd like. This setup was fairly low to the ground and easy to move.

I guess I'm gonna get furniture dollies n 2x4's to make one. US Cartool wants $578 for just the dolly now. I was seeing people's posts citing $299. Not anymore.

I made this but I have a lift. The cart is like one of the box store rollers that I found on CList.
I cut it down and used threaded rod to guide into the k frame holes. You could cut it lower.
just an idea.

IMG_20220321_153823_hdr.jpg

IMG_20220302_141019_hdr.jpg

IMG_20220321_165350_hdr.jpg

I have a lift, so it is real easy. I have seen pics of guys lifting the front end of their car up with a cherry picker mounted to the bumper bracket locations. That should work as well, just be extremely careful.

Yes, gonna do the front end lift w back tires on ground. Will get 2 furniture dollies from HF and some 2x4's n some angle iron. I just wasn't sure how you get the assembly down to the dolly. But you don't, you use adjustments or built "up" to assembly. Then unbolt, raise front more and roll out.

Does anyone have a pic of the front frame lift, not attached to the frame. I'm sure it's pretty simple to make one of those too. Cheaper than buying one for sure.

I'm not getting your meaning here. If the setup is really close to the ground, then there is no room under car for me to get under there n undo bolts and align where it goes. I don't want to pull engine up, I want to drop the entire assembly.
There is plenty of room to lay underneath the car with the engine and trans in place on the cart.

651 R.JPG

653 R.JPG

I didn't measure but I fit under the car well enough to start the K member bolts and to install the trans crossmember. I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs.

I've never done a complete 'assembly' removal before but seen it done. I'm thinking pulling the engine and trans as a unit then dropping the K frame by itself isn't any harder to do and have done it that way many times. No lift here but have plenty of helpful tools to do it the way I've been doing it for years and I'm a one man band. One of the most helpful items is something with wheels to 'catch' the transmission tailshaft on assembly when going in then jack up the trans to get the cross member in. I started out using an old creeper but a furniture dolly works well too. Just didn't have a dolly early on.

My cart was just a pair of car wheel dollies and some scrap steel.

16 R.JPG

The pegs were to slide up into the holes in the bottom of the K member to keep it from sliding off.

13 BBB (2).jpg

I used rubber cushions to reduce the risk of scratches.

31 R.JPG

631 R.JPG

I used several HF moving dollies, and scrap wood. I bought 2 large, and 2 small dollies. I put a small one inside the larger one. Then attached 4x4, and 2x4 wood to cradle the K member. The other dollie is to support the transmission. With the wheels off of the car, I could reach the K member bolts.

I've searched throughout n Googled n can't find what I'm looking for. Other than the cradle made for a UTV lift, I don't quite understand how to get the assembly on to the dolly with the car high enough to crawl under to unbolt. For me to get under my car to unbolt trans crossmember, k-fram bolts, I need the car pretty high up. Then somehow support it from falling when I unbolt everything. I haven't been able to find any pics or videos of actually attaching and removing from car.

Thanks.
Northern tool sells a pneumatic stand up Jack that will lift your front end very high. Keep your hood closed while putting it up to avoid hanging lights. It raises that high.

I built a cart with hospital bed castors to get my snowmobiles up to work on them comfortably. I pick the sled up with the hoist and roll the cart under. So, I used it for the install on my 65 and also on my 2008 Chrysler T&C engine rebuild. Hoists are still great (been using them since 1971)!
Mike
Michele's Formula (6).JPG
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back