• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support

I've always found it interesting that the 67 440 Charger wasn't an R/T.
My friend has three 67 Charger L code 440 Magnum cars. Two automatic cars and one 4 speed car. They should have been designated R/T models like the Cornets were ,the 67 Hemi Chargers should have been as well. I am trying to talk him into making one of his a one of none 67 Charger R/T.

Last edited:
My friend has three 67 Charger L code 440 Magnum cars. Two automatic cars and one 4 speed car. They should have been designated R/T models like the Cornets were ,the 67 Hemi Chargers should have been as well. I am trying to talk him into making one of his a one of none 67 Charger R/T.
Ahhhh! Leave that for them new Chargers!!
The lil 440 and 426 badges are all they need!

From the few pics you have posted, I would agree it sure looks like a R/T. Not that it really matters, because you can't prove it. How exactly are you going to get a title for the car without the VIN tag? Definitely don't stick a penny in it until that is squared away.

Ahhhh! Leave that for them new Chargers!!
The lil 440 and 426 badges are all they need!
The idea was to use the 67 Coronet R/T grille center piece,and add the Coronet R/T emblem to the grille,then add the R/T emblems on the rear quarters, then fabricate a louvered taillight cover with the Coronet R/T emblem in louvered taillight cover, and finish it off with 67 GTX exhaust tips.

If any little bit of info can help you in your quest, here is some from dodgecharger.com back in 2008
May help narrow down the time frame of when your car was built but I don't know if SO's were always
in numeric order. Best of luck.

• Old Timer

xx.png
November 15, 2008, 12:24:29 AM

Quote from: 1968charger_ on November 14, 2008, 08:36:46 PM
I am looking at a 1968 R/T......vin is XS29L8######......radiator support is stamped B8X177609....
SHOULD THE LAST 6 OF THE VIN MATCH THE RADIATOR SUPPORT STAMP?

TRIM TAG AS FOLLOWS:
54 7 6

50 8 4 C6F 661 G7
XS29 33 5 44 503 ######

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEY SEE HERE?

ALSO WHERE SHOULD THE BLOCK BE STAMPED WITH THE VIN? IT IS A 440.
the 33 should be 83

68 Charger R/T 440 automatic, came with F70X14 redwall tires. Scheduled production date of 503. Sales order number 177609

Built at the Hamtramck plant making the VIN about 370XXX or 371XXX

3.23 gears without Sure Grip. Green interior; dark green metallic exterior
turn signal indicators in the hood; h/7 = remote LH mirror or k/7= RH manual . Looks to be a sales bank car.

If the VIN is stamped in the block, it will be on the back near the oil sending unit.

Forgot, and someone probably asked you already, do you know the name of any of the previous owners?

...always in numeric order.

...Scheduled production date of 503. Sales order number 177609...

...VIN about 370XXX or 371XXX...
Unfortunately, it is the "503" (May 3rd) that allowed @69Coronetrt to get to such a narrow range of VINs in the exampled thread (he can comment on his methodology if he wants) - and it's the key piece of info not available for this one since there is no fender tag or broadcast sheet. The Sales Order number portion is not sequential and will be a completely different set/group/composition for the next day's production - SPD 504.

Vapor return line indicates 440 or 426? A/C eliminates 426.
View attachment 1487777

Strictly a guess, but it seems likely. Lack of a sway bar is odd... any tabs on the Lower Control Arms?

View attachment 1487779
Start checking date codes stamped into K-member and body panels to try to narrow down the vintage? Order number is little help since it can span the entire 101 to C31 calendar. A few members on here have a veritble boatload of Broadcasts collected that might help with bracketing in conjunction with this car's date codes? Without a broadcast, back tracing ownership is probably the only way to ever determine with accuracy - we can only surmise and speculate.

Good luck - always enjoy a good mystery!
Mark
After looking at this number again it looks like it reads B 8 X 0 7 3 5 - 7

Should check the number on the trunk lip

Has the NON R/T leaf springs, also need a picture where the back seat goes
004.JPG

Last edited:
Well I just found out my girlfriend is pregnant. Regretfully I'm going to need to sell this ASAP. Please feel free to message me direct with fair offers. I will be posting this in the for sale section as well. Thanks again for all your help.

...or an IBM card if it exists for his car and to get it from Stelantis, requires the VIN, and proof of ownership.
How does one go about doing that? I would love to get the card.

A search of FBBO should yield the process and contact info.

It’s 55 years old now. That core support could have been swapped from another car.

If that is a big block k member then how does a small block k member look different? They don’t, they are both the same in 1968.

The number on the core support on 68 and older is a shipping order number, it does not tell you what kind of car it is either. The only way to match the shipping order number with the VIN number is with a broadcast sheet or IBM card.

chargers always have a sway bar. The only other 1968 b-body to always have a sway bar is a road runner, GTX and Coronet RT. Optional on all others.
The station wagons also have a front anti sway bar standard. They also have the passenger side mirror standard as well.

My '69 is XP29
XP29 is a non-R/T Charger
XS29 is a R/T Charger
RS23 is a GTX Hardtop
RS27 is a GTX Convertble
RM21 is a Roadrunner Coupe
RM23 is a Roadrunner Hardtop
RM27 is a Roadrunner Convertible
WS23 is a Coronet R/T Hardtop
WS27 is a Coronet R/T Convertible
WM21 is a Super Bee Coupe
WM23 is a Super Bee Hardtop...