• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a Black Superbird?

Black is needed........

superbirdcolorscopy.jpg

don't forget the 3 Burnt Orange cars that slipped though by mistake

Thats awesome you still have the ticket stub. back when carlisle giveaway cars were worth winning.

Yep. The car was on the stage with a Camaro convertible that was the giveaway for the Fall show. They called the winning number, this lady started screaming and ran up on the stage with the winning ticket and went to the Camaro. The host told her she hadn't won that car but the Superbird, and she asked "what's that?" There was a collective groan from every dude in the audience because by that time the Superbird was worth about three times what the Camaro was worth. My friend and I figured she probably sold the car to someone before she got 20 feet from the stage.

If I remember the story correctly, the show promoters said they bought the car in mid-1987 for $6,000 and restored it in 1988, and the estimated value the day they gave it away was $25,000. Shows what the impact of Black Monday was like. :)

very cool Black-Bird

That's so ironic. I saw that car the summer before I started high school and dreamt about it for YEARS. In fact, freshman year I wrote a 'what I did over the summer' essay entirely about that car.
I was there that day. Last time I went.

Why are raffle cars always won by:

A- people who have no idea what the car is

B- people who have so much money that a free car is not a big deal

??

Back in 1987 I almost bought a Super Bird for $2500.

The guy had three, plus about a half dozen 71 R/T and Super Bee Chargers, and one 69 loaded Charger R/T.

He had a small one car garage and was using the vacant lot next to his house for storage.

Every few months he'd sell one or two of the ones that were in the worst condition.

69 Charger was $700.

I remember a guy won a Petty blue one at the local dealship here. I saw him at the coop hauling straw in it! Years later it was used as a doghouse. It was finally bought and restored.

If chrysler had a Special Order Car (S.O.C.) is to be built, could a black SuperBird have been built?

The code "999" was used by Chrysler to denote a special paint color not normally available among the paint choices for a given year.

there were a lot of 999 cars built...all were Petty Blue...none were black....

Why are raffle cars always won by:

A- people who have no idea what the car is

B- people who have so much money that a free car is not a big deal

??

Back in 1987 I almost bought a Super Bird for $2500.

The guy had three, plus about a half dozen 71 R/T and Super Bee Chargers, and one 69 loaded Charger R/T.

He had a small one car garage and was using the vacant lot next to his house for storage.

Every few months he'd sell one or two of the ones that were in the worst condition.

69 Charger was $700.

I almost bought a 440-6 V-C Orange/white Superbird in 1985. It had a crack in the rear window and was missing it's Ralley wheels, but all it needed to look great was a good buffing. It ran and drove fine and the price was $5,000. I went to the credit union at NAS Cecil Field, got a loan, and was heading back with the check when I decided I really didn't want to pay $21/month to store the car for three years while I was at NAS Bermuda, so I took the check back and didn't buy the car. I figured I would just get one when I came back in 1988... which that car was worth in the mid $60's by then,. :(

I know that they "allegedly" didn't paint any black...
But If they didn't have any in Black, look at these photos at the Chrysler pre-shipping storage yard,
B&W photos it's hard to tell colors, but a couple of them look really dark, too dark for any of the impact colors,
probably just a darker color...
{Blue Fire or Ivy Green, not sure if they had them either, maybe In-violet}
http://www.myclassicgarage.com/marketplace/knowledge_base/1970-plymouth-superbird#colors

Attachments

• 70 Superbirds waiting to go out #1.jpg
    70 Superbirds waiting to go out #1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 70 Superbirds waiting to go out #2.jpg
    70 Superbirds waiting to go out #2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 512
  • 70 Superbirds waiting to go out #3.jpg
    70 Superbirds waiting to go out #3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 517
  • 70 Superbirds waiting to go out #4.jpg
    70 Superbirds waiting to go out #4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 70 Superbird K-5 Deep Burnt Orange.jpg
    70 Superbird K-5 Deep Burnt Orange.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 543
  • 70 Superbird Advert. #3.jpg
    70 Superbird Advert. #3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 627
  • 70 Superbird Advert. #5 Raceway Special.jpg
    70 Superbird Advert. #5 Raceway Special.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 511
I saw a black with flames on the front at a classic car dealer in ft. Wayne In. Must have been early 80s

I know that they "allegedly" didn't paint any black...
But If they didn't have any in Black, look at these photos at the Chrysler pre-shipping storage yard,
B&W photos it's hard to tell colors, but a couple of them look really dark, too dark for any of the impact colors,
probably just a darker color...
{Blue Fire or Ivy Green, not sure if they had them either, maybe In-violet}
http://www.myclassicgarage.com/marketplace/knowledge_base/1970-plymouth-superbird#colors

the darker colored ones in the black & white photos are either the blue ones or possibly the red ones....I doubt it was the limelight cars...and the orange & lemon twist cars would be lighter. I ferget why there were never any black cars made...it's been posted a few times on other forums..I just cant remember now at this time. Purple was never offered as well.....

Auto Transport Service
Back