• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust manifold coatings?

jeff ashley

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
Sandblasted my hp exhaust manifolds, any suggestions on what to coat them with now to preseve the iron look?

Sandblasted my hp exhaust manifolds, any suggestions on what to coat them with now to preseve the iron look?

Jeff, I was in the same boat sir, and any coating you put on there will have issues in the long run.......keep'em iron sir, no coating.

There are many options from exhaust paints to dressings (such as Calyx). Costs, results and opinions vary greatly.

I chose to go the more expensive but proven route of ceramic coating. It's bullet proof and as the coating is inside and out and an insulator, the manifolds radiate far less heat under the bonnet.

P1010489.jpg

Those look sweet. Looking at your pic reminded me, I ordered the original plug wire holders anyone have any suggestions for wher to order the right lenth plugwires?

I used Eastwood's manifold paint 4 years ago and they still look like new. I personally don't like the rusty look.

I used Eastwood's manifold paint 4 years ago and they still look like new. I personally don't like the rusty look.

I'm planning on same or the powder coating. Thanks for the feedback canuck

- - - Updated - - -

There are many options from exhaust paints to dressings (such as Calyx). Costs, results and opinions vary greatly.

I chose to go the more expensive but proven route of ceramic coating. It's bullet proof and as the coating is inside and out and an insulator, the manifolds radiate far less heat under the bonnet.

View attachment 141577

May be in my future .. If I don't do the eastwood route. Thanks brother

Those look sweet. Looking at your pic reminded me, I ordered the original plug wire holders anyone have any suggestions for wher to order the right lenth plugwires?

For leads I just used Accel super stock 5072K. http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/5072K/10002/-1 They fit great out the box.

Engine ain't a museum piece, it's in and running well. In fact, going for a cruise in about 10 minutes!

With ceramic coating, the reduction in under bonnet heat is quite noticeable, and considering the problems I had previously with heat soak and vapour lock, was worth the admission price alone!

I used POR-15 exhaust manifold paint. Sandblasted manifolds, 1 coat, wait 24 hours 2nd coat. Both coats applied with a brush. No problems and looks very good.

As far as plug wires, FIRECORE 50, They will make you whatever you want and in my opinion the best plug wire out there.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back