• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Externally oiled head restrictor size.

Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size restrictor is used in the Indy EZ head for externally oiling the rocker shaft.

I would like to put LA heads on a magnum but not sure how much steady state flow is required.

Indys use .040" to each head with a needle bearing rocker.
Doug

Does anyone know what size restrictor is used in the Indy EZ head for externally oiling the rocker shaft.

I would like to put LA heads on a magnum but not sure how much steady state flow is required.
Will you post up on how this is done?
I’d love to see pictures of this process.

Will you post up on how this is done?
I’d love to see pictures of this process.

Yes,
I’m going to practice my crossover tube on 2 other blocks then do the entire workup on an LA block with all oiling mods before working on the magnum.

My idea is simple.
Dill 3-4” down from deck where hole would be.
Then drill at 45-90 degree angle into that passage.
Then run a short crossover tube to other gallery.
Install orifice of proper size in deck OR turn rocker shaft around and drill small hole in it as restrictor.

First rough draft idea here.

Hum, I don’t ever remember anybody restricting oil flow on the cross over tube for this.

Now I have to go look at my Magnum block. It is a ‘00, 5.9. I just don’t remember seeing or not seeing a oil hole there. Since the heads aren’t feed in that manor. Dang, ya got me thinking.
(And hoping..... )

Hum, I don’t ever remember anybody restricting oil flow on the cross over tube for this.

Now I have to go look at my Magnum block. It is a ‘00, 5.9. I just don’t remember seeing or not seeing a oil hole there. Since the heads aren’t feed in that manor. Dang, ya got me thinking.
(And hoping..... )

That’s the thing there is no hole on later magnums.
All I’ve ever heard is that drilling the hole takes a masterful machine shop.
Drilling a 4” deep hole ouselves to make a passage “should” be pretty easy.
Cross drill into that hole, tap, then run a 1/4” tube to an oil gallery and should be set.
Last thing would be a restictor of some sort either in the deck hole or rocker stand outlet to rocker shaft.

Not sure why people don’t do this more ofter.
My 5.9 is a 2000 also.
If this works pretty easy I’ll be on the Junkyard hunt for another one.

I’d bet they don’t do this because many blocks do not have that oil hole to begin with and that fact or partial fact seems like it could be year dependent but the facts get blurred and lost into “No Magnum has deck drilled oil holes to ......”

I’ll check mine tomorrow.

Full size on any crossover tube
feed the heads from the oil pressure sender area
remember oil cools the springs
us the B3 kit with roller tip rockers which are a waste of money under .550 lift
use AMD/Magnum lifters and hollow pushrods in any case
there are several posts on increasing oiling to the main bearings which is very important if you are going to highly load or rpm an LA motor
and watch your cam snouts

Auto Transport Service
Back