• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F*****g comp cams

Adam Nathan

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Running an American car outside of the US is hard enough what with the waiting time on getting parts delivered, but hey you learn to live with it. But I ordered a complete comp cams cam shaft kit which comes with cam, lifters, timing chain, stem seals and valve locks. We'll in my kit which arrived the other week everything there apart from the valve locks. Pretty big kick in the goolies when your trying to coordinate the rebuild. So rather than complain to comp cams about it I just reordered and payed for the locks again. We'll the package arrived this afternoon to which I thought HAPPY DAYS I can finish putting the heads together. I opened the packet of locks and just to piss me off even more, they thought it'd be funny to put 31 locks in the pack. Are they just really really thick there or is it just that my luck really stinks. So once again I'm stuck on the rebuild for another couple of weeks. I've emailed them about this but whether I'll get a reply or not your guess is as good as mine.
Sorry for the rant but I know you guys have got pretty big shoulders. I just wanna get this job done and put to bed and get out in the car again. :( :( :( :(

I feel your pain Adam.
I ordered a sway bar end link kit from "The Paddock" a few years back...as in a KIT. So they send me enough parts to do one side of the sway bar. The description on the item was for a kit. I mean, are these guys really that incompetent??? I guess that is why they went out of business.

Sorry to hear about that Adam. I have used Comp stuff many times and never had any issues. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Adam, it isn't your lack of luck. It seems that quality control has tanked in a lot of companies. What I always judge a company on is how it handles customer problems when they arise. Emails don't get priority these days. Comp is used to dealing with Pro and Sportsman racers who always need everything 'yesterday'. I found that a call placed to their customer service number with an explanation that their oversight is causing you a lot of grief and down time on your hot rod, and telling them that you EXPECT them to overnight the missing parts to you. Have the packing slip handy and if there are the initials of the person that packed your order, it's even better. Mention that you're a member of several Mopar forums that originate in the States and that you always give a company rating on the sites, good and bad. Remember to be calm and collected when you call, don't threaten and don't take no for an answer. If the first person can't help you, politely ask for their supervisor. I always find that escalating it up the line normally gets the results I want. If the last person you talk to can't help you, or is 'unavailable', politely ask for their name, position in the company and their direct number and email. You might try this....it works for me.

order from summit racing, hassle free for me for over 3 years, probably spent close to 80k with summit and not 1 problem and im in australia

I feel your pain. Took a week off one time to assemble an engine only to find I was one oil ring short in the kit. And it was a long holiday to boot so the vendor was closed. Sure cant get too far that way. It sucks for sure but hang in there.
Wayne

I'm not a fan of ordering from the manufacturer. I've had issues with this before and have lost. I like to order from resellers like Summit Racing or Jegs. They will price match without hassle, quick delivery and easy ordering. I had a temperature sending unit fail on me while under warranty and Summit sent me a replacement overnight without wanting the broken one back. They were quick to offer a replacement and very courteous. Ordering from big resellers puts them in your corner when an issue arises. Many times they sell below the manufactures suggested list price.

I'm not a fan of ordering from the manufacturer. I've had issues with this before and have lost. I like to order from resellers like Summit Racing or Jegs. They will price match without hassle, quick delivery and easy ordering. I had a temperature sending unit fail on me while under warranty and Summit sent me a replacement overnight without wanting the broken one back. They were quick to offer a replacement and very courteous. Ordering from big resellers puts them in your corner when an issue arises. Many times they sell below the manufactures suggested list price.

Hey slepr1, I would love to see some pictures of your Pro Touring 71 Cuda, any chance? Larry

I feel your pain Adam.
"The Paddock" a few years back... I guess that is why they went out of business.
Because they were stupidly over priced expensive is my guess.

I feel your pain Adam.
I ordered a sway bar end link kit from "The Paddock" a few years back...as in a KIT. So they send me enough parts to do one side of the sway bar. The description on the item was for a kit. I mean, are these guys really that incompetent??? I guess that is why they went out of business.

They went out of business with about $2600 of my money!

Seems like every time I have dealings with Comp Cams it's a bad one. I don't use them for my junk but when a customer comes in and demands them, I just tell them to expect delays then and don't bitch at me when the wrong parts come in or in your case, they don't come in.

I will say Made in the USA parts, I've had far more good than bad experiences

Sorry to hear your issues with Comp Cams,
like others mentioned here, I've had parts problems with them many moons ago now,
kept me from a race & because of that unresolved issue, I haven't used them in a long time...

Disclosure; these guys were a long time sponsor of mine.
I used Crane Cams for 35+ years, they went thru some money issues,
a while back {IIRC like 2001-ish after 9/11, like many companies have},
but have came back stronger than ever...

I've had good experiences with Lunati Cams too...

:iamwithstupid: I hope you can get your problems eradicated sooner than latter, waiting & shipping issues,
it must be a PITA Across the Pond, ordering our Made In The USA parts... :angryfire:

I absolutely love dealing with Summit Racing, free shipping over $99 too
I've probably spent easily well over $200k with them, over the many years

{get my parts, if they are in-stock in the West Coast Hub, Reno Distribution center, the next business day}
any time I've had an issue, ,it's rare, it was resolved & parts sent, along with a free return shipping label...

Also Manicini Racing, they always made it good, but costs of shipping, is allot more from Detroit/Clinton Township Mi. area thou, all the way out to the west coast, 5-7 days usually...

Even when they rarely ever screw up, even the rare times "I actually order wrong parts", they both will make it good...LOL

Because they were stupidly over priced expensive is my guess.

Oh yeah...that as well. :icon_thumleft:

- - - Updated - - -

They went out of business with about $2600 of my money!

Ouch...I feel slightly better about my deal now. I'm glad I quit when I did with them.

My comp 275HL draws crowds - no lack of lope. My builder dealt with comp. I use Summit, never a problem. When dealing direct with TTI, I was non-plussed. Dealling direct with manufacturers - seems like they would prefer you go to a dealer.

I used to buy straight from ARP for all of my fastening hardware but now they don't seem to want to do that.....

We'll hopefully they'll sort out this issue promptly but as for the future I guess twice bitten now so I'll shop elsewhere.
Still on the plus side, whilst waiting on these parts I can get on with the suspension work.

The other problem with that is you never know who is dealing (or not dealing) with your problem if you converse by email. I believe in being positive but I want a name if things don't go right... I do hope this is resolved to your satisfaction.

Auto Transport Service
Back