• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fabricated Dash Woodgrain Replacements - 1968 8-Track GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
X2 on the above post. As a current 68 X owner I’m very impressed with your work and dedication to making something that doesn’t otherwise exist in the repro world. I feel fortunate that I have a perfect original set - but if I didn’t I would be thrilled to buy a set from you. Congrats on your progress and good luck with the advancements.

X2 on the above post. As a current 68 X owner I’m very impressed with your work and dedication to making something that doesn’t otherwise exist in the repro world. I feel fortunate that I have a perfect original set - but if I didn’t I would be thrilled to buy a set from you. Congrats on your progress and good luck with the advancements.

Oddly enough I was able to buy an entire 68 dash assembly for a few hundred dollars from CL which had a near perfect set as well. Only problem is I have an 8-track and finding a good 8-track bezel is nearly impossible.

Thanks for the kind words.

Here are close-up photo's of the black Coronet trim pieces that I have. Before I pay a Photoshop jobber to try to recreate this texture I'd like verification that this is what descent pieces look like. Can someone with nice trim snap a close-up photo or 2 to verify?
There seem to be 3 distinct elements:
1) Deep Vertical Valley
2) Vertical Ridge
3) Shallow Valley w/ small horizontal tic marks

It repeats 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,etc.

Thanks.

20190225_083133.jpg
20190225_083114.jpg

1968 were the vertical lines. I believe later years had a textured look.
Here's the pictures of my '68 Coronet R/T.
Old radio bezel.JPG

New dash bezel.JPG
Dash Left side.JPG

Dash center.JPG

Thanks for that but unfortunately the reallye dash is not the same as the non rallye dash. The surface of the non rallye dash trim is smooth.

I decided to put a little time into the 68 Coronet version. This is a snapshot from Photoshop. I'm going to have to send several sample prints to the printer with different brightnesses to get the black hues as close as possible to the originals and the scale of the pattern correct.

upload_2019-3-7_23-21-19.png

upload_2019-3-7_23-21-19.png

Samples came back from the printer today. I had hoped to get it closer on the first run. I'm terrible at photoshop. I tried to hire a guy but that hasn't worked out. I'll keep at it.

20190313_221412.jpg 20190313_221254.jpg

You need to clear your inbox. Tried to send a private message but couldn't.
Got the piece yesterday and will let you know when I shoot it.

Here I thought I had it all figured out and then I hit another snag. The small left piece and radio bezels worked out great, but the hockey stick acrylic shrank 0.140" in the length. I'm oversizing the piece in the hopes that it shrinks to fit. Had to order material and get laser cut. Probably 2 weeks out.
20190324_232534.jpg

Here I thought I had it all figured out and then I hit another snag. The small left piece and radio bezels worked out great, but the hockey stick acrylic shrank 0.140" in the length. I'm oversizing the piece in the hopes that it shrinks to fit. Had to order material and get laser cut. Probably 2 weeks out.
View attachment 739719
Since I have not installed them yet, will I have that issue with my 69 Coronet R/T set?

Since I have not installed them yet, will I have that issue with my 69 Coronet R/T set?

Your set was made before I worked on adding the clear acrylic. You may want to send them back and I'll add it to them. I'd wait until I work the bugs out though.

After almost 2 years I think I have achieved my goal. Recipe: Water jet cut dye sublimated aluminum, machine cut chrome vinyl, laser jet cut thermo-formed acrylic. Hand assemble and this is what you get.

20190422_205801.jpg
20190422_205804.jpg
20190422_205811.jpg
20190422_205816.jpg
20190422_205821.jpg

sign me up for a set when you have one available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back