• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Floor Mats?

JimKueneman

Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Was there such a thing as factory (or dealer installed) floor mats for my '68 Coronet? The ones that were in the car are sort of an off white/yellowish translucent plastic with what appears to be the Coronet Crest in the middle. Was there such a thing as Chrysler Floor mats for these cars?

Jim

There was an option code for factory floor mats.....Very few people optioned for that...I had a discussion with a few people about this recently. That is why the carpets installed originally had the gas pedal on the upper right corner of the heel pad...the heel pad was your factory floor mat...

They are virtually impossible to find and they were originally placed in a clear bag in the trunk(if they had the option code). The dealer in the parts area had ones available. Thin rubber mats nothing special. Carpet ones were never available until after the muscle car era....

I would love to find some in any shape or a 70's pep boys type....They are harder to find than an NOS gas tank if that gives you an idea...

Would you know factory ones if you saw them? Would the code be on the build sheet?

image.jpg

Jim

My research was only relating to plymouth and the plymouth code was C92.....I have yet to find an original example. The problem is those thin mats lasted a year or two and were thrown away. Then few folks paid for that option and the OTC ones were pitched too....

The pic below is questionable....This was not a pic I found but from another researching this.....

It would be nice to see if someone chimes in that has one.....memories are not good enough...

1969 Plymouth Floor Mats.jpg

This is one set we thought may have been original but the symbol doesn't fit for a mopar.....Led to believe this was a pep boys etc set

69_LA_110929_RS23_FLOOR MATS.jpg

This is one set we thought may have been original but the symbol doesn't fit for a mopar.....Led to believe this was a pep boys etc set

View attachment 517359
Justin never saw those that I remember. High school in late 60's I shuttled many a car because we had a hands on washbay every Sat&Sun.

Coincidence or not the ribs are similar style to the 500 dash trim inserts....

Justin never saw those that I remember. High school in late 60's I shuttled many a car because we had a hands on washbay every Sat&Sun.
Remember, the coded cars had mats....We have yet to find an original example....Cars that received the code where as low as a hemi car basically...and the OTC mats were a generic type....

The main issue is no examples available...none pictured in parts books etc....The pic you attached is "questionable" as I said earlier...We don't know?

Survivor cars used them if coded and the mats didn't survive....

Furthermore, How many people even payed attention to floor mats 40 plus years ago....This is an area that a lot of factual research is needed and that is by gathering examples....Thats what we have been doing....

I don't know, if there was a car that still had its factory floor mats is sure seems like this one could be it.

I don't know, if there was a car that still had its factory floor mats is sure seems like this one could be it.
I have seen that mat before but I just cannot place it at the moment...

Also the back ones are different. They are plain and very thin. It is like a brick pattern in the center.
image.jpg

Also the back ones are different. They are plain and very thin. It is like a brick pattern in the center. View attachment 517385
It wouldn't be mixed matched.....

This is a very difficult area because No One to this day has produced a survivor car with them or a set of floor mats that can attest to the originality.....I am actively hunting a set down for the GTX.....

I would love for anyone to post what they have just like what you are doing....The other problem is once you find a set they will probably be in rough shape....

It wouldn't be mixed matched.....

This is a very difficult area because No One to this day has produced a survivor car with them or a set of floor mats that can attest to the originality.....I am actively hunting a set down for the GTX.....

I would love for anyone to post what they have just like what you are doing....The other problem is once you find a set they will probably be in rough shape....

Agree, I am beginning to wonder if the backs are original. They feel more like the same materials used in other places in the car (trunk mat was still original, gas tank pad, etc). I could see the front ones wearing out but the rear of the car was immaculate like no one ever sat back there. Even the seat covers are original in the rear seats. The front ones do have that '70 or '80 plastic and "parts store" look and feel. If I had to guess I would lean towards the back ones being original.

Auto Transport Service
Back