• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Vacuum pump

Hey Prop,
Did I read somewhere you were putting in a vacuum pump to help with your power brakes? If yes, which one are you using and where are you mounting it?

Wow!!! You're keeping your foot to the
Metal. Seems to me you'll be running real soon.
Can't wait to check next week/month and see it on the road.
What are your plans for her
once she up and running?

will, hope you dont have luck like me cuz if you do you'll never be finished, i just have things keep coming back at me

Sorry to hear it Goat.....I'm hoping not to have to revisit things already thought to be put to bed. I'm sure i'll have some gremlins to work out down the road though..

Hey Prop,
Did I read somewhere you were putting in a vacuum pump to help with your power brakes? If yes, which one are you using and where are you mounting it?

You bet Daryn..Gonna be ordering the electric vacuum pump kit that RSD makes, from summit. As far as location, i'm guessing drive side frame rail aft of the distribution/proportioning valve..I'm sure i'll have a bit better idea once I have the part in my hand. You thinking about buying one as well I take it?

Wow!!! You're keeping your foot to the
Metal. Seems to me you'll be running real soon.
Can't wait to check next week/month and see it on the road.
What are your plans for her
once she up and running?

My plans......Hmmmmmmm. Once she is broke in I plan on tossing a sleeping bag, tent and some cloths in the back and aiming here down the highway for a week or two.. Gonna wake her up again and hit up the american country side. Just me, my car and the road....

Doors....Doors...Doors......
What can I say...They Suck! For those who have not been able to enjoy the sweet relaxing bliss of aligning doors, well...I'd hold off as long as you can.
Spent about 6 hours today "Tweeking" the alignment of my doors, even though I've had them lined up in the past. This obviously isn't my first rodeo with doors, but it never seems to get easier.

A guy could easily write a book on how to do it, but I seen this great write up by 66 B Body4ever a while ago that sums it up pretty good. The guy pretty much nailed it on the head in his post about 1/2 way down the thread.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=7222

Here's how mine ended up after a few dozen "Son of a B.........!!!!"

y1-4.jpg

Rear Brakes......Seen this happen a few times before when people mount the brake shoe's the opposite way from factory..

y2-3.jpg

Who ever did these brakes prior to me, had the shoe's on backwards, the brake adjuster in backwards, the springs up top wrong and put the spring for the parking brake strut on the wrong side...No wonder the failed

With these b-bodies, late 60's-early 70's, always put the shoe with less pad surface towards the front of the car. That is your primary shoe, secondary in the rear. Also, your secondary spring should sit on the outside of the primary spring at the top anchor

Rear brakes are all in...New Raybestos Professional series Wheel Cylinders, shoe's, springs and hardware...The drums going on are from summit and are new as well.

y3.jpg

Well, I'm riding the fence between pump or canister.I've got a pretty decent cam in the car and little vacuum at idle or low rpm. Why did you decide on the pump? Some of the canisters look pretty big and I was trying to keep the hose-a-thon in my engine bay to a minimum. I guess I could look at running some length of hose to get which ever one I decide on, out of the bay. Keep in mind that I am no Tesla when wiring comes into play. BTW, I think I'll let the body guys deal with the doors. Yours look to be solved though.

Looks real good prop and thanks for the link. I learned something of value from you and it, All the yelling, cussing, threatening and yelling WHAT? when my poor wife yelled my name walking in is not me alone, someone else has gone thru it. Don't really know if its value but im not the only one that had this adventure. Thought it was just my inexperience alone.

Thanks guys! Yeah Ron...Doors, they're not fun to anyone.

Good to see you Dave. You almost done with your Plymouth Sabbatical yet?

Daryn,
I also looked at the canisters. I figured to be at borderline on being able to run that or step up to a pump with the engine I have in store. Figured i'd take any doubt out of the picture and just go ahead with the pump. I hear you on "Hose-a-Thon." Wasn't that on Cinemax last Friday night? LOL.

Kind of a boring day on the old bird. Decided to tackle the nice big gaps in between the quarter at the bumper indent and the fill panel/tailight bucket lower lip. The factory had a tap that extended out from the quarter and wrapped around to the fill panel/tailight bucket. The new AMD quarters do not have that. All I did was cut out a cardboard template to fit the hole, transfer to metal and weld into place. I also had to use a 1" piece of bar stock and work in a sharper curve where the the bumper indent in the quarter curves. The AMD quarter's curve is to slow/lazy, unlike the factory which is almost a soft 90*. The inside lip of the bumper would rub if I didn't work in that curve a little.

w1-9.jpg

Also, ground down all the spot welds, scuffed entire area in the back with 220 and applied some Rage Xtreme to all metal work areas. I gotta say, I can do the body work just fine, but much rather be doing metal work or mechanical stuff..Ah Well, all part of the process..

w2-9.jpg

w3-6.jpg

Have a good one fellas!!

hey will,if you ever want or need to take a break/vacation,let me know,i'll buy you all the beer you want and we can sit in the garage and hope my RR puts herself back together like christine.as far as door issue,been there /done that/still have issues,but glad to see you coming along with yours.saw that shine on your doors and had to put my shades on.:eek:ccasion14:

nice work prop.

Yes it kind of feels like I'm done resting from my plymouth project. Time to get dirty again as soon as I fix my electrical issues in my shop. It seems that while we were gone on vacation I lost one side of my 100 amp service panel in my shop, so I'll have to get that figured out before I can get anything done out there.

You bet Roger! Sure could go for some R & R and a couple cold brews...I'm sure the more beer we drink, the better she would look. Well.......works for women anyways.

Good luck on working the bugs out with the power Dave. Wish I could help you out, but i'm no 120V spark chaser. Hopefully it is something simple.

got one of my two weeks of vacations that i'm taking in july.hopefully i can get the ramcharger done and in full primer so i can paint it,have to get my motor for my RR from the engine shop(will post pics in my thread),and go full bore on the RR taking the floors out.How long did it take you to take the floors out and put new ones in? DAYS-HRS?

As far as the floor pans Roger...One day per side (obviously not a one piece pan). That's fom the time of firing up the plasma cutter to cut out the old to finishing off grinding down all the welds on the new installed pan. A whole week to work on Mopars....sounds like a good vacation!

Got the tail all wrapped up tonight...........

r1-4.jpg

Also scuffed up the inside of the new AMD fenders and sprayed on some SEM Bed liner. I will be starting the install of these tomorrow..

r2-4.jpg

Heyyyy...Heyyyy....Heyyyyyyyy! She's finally on the ground!! Like the truck tires??? Time to do some mudding boys!! LOL! Hey, the rubber was free. These are only roller wheels.

r3-4.jpg

On another note...There will be room for me at the body shop in two weeks.......

It's Crunch time!!! :gah:

She looks awsome setting on her own for legs!!!
Congratulations for getting her on the ground!

Really enjoyed your posts and appreciate your excellent workmanship. This is a lucky road runner...It will be better than new when done...Thanks again

She's ready for the dirt track with those tires prop!!

:grin:

My power is still down in the shop, bad wire underground between my power meter and my shop. I need an electrician with a locator to find the break so we can dig it up and splice it. Until then, no air tools, no welder... :(

Excelent wheel and tire combo, looks killer!

Amazing work your doing there Prop, keep it up.

(kidding on the wheel and tire combo)

I just read this entire thread and holy cow! I wish I had 1/1000th of your talent, I could save alot of $$ if I could do more on my own. I give you all the props in the world!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back