• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

filler neck o ring for '63 belevdere

flatheadgary

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
as the title says, i am in need of the o ring. every one i find online is for the '64. even when they say it's for a '63 it won't work. they are a grommet not an o ring. if you have a '63 you know that the o ring goes inside the rolled bead in the tank. i have measured it and it appears to be
2 3/8 diam and 3/16 thick. which gives you a 2. diam inside dim which is what the filler tube is. i haven't looked to see if the auto parts stores have this in the dornan sections but, my neighbor hood hardware store doesn't. anybody know where i can get one?

Any good Napa should be able to match one, maybe not have one in stock. If not contact Joe Suchy, if anybody would have a source, he would. [email protected]
All the new tanks that I’ve seen use the grommet, even the 62-63s.

i have the original tank in mine. it takes the o ring. i went to napa, autozone and the hardware store and they just looked at me like i just fell off the turnup truck. i sent a request for a quote to the o ring store. we'll see if they will come through.
another thing about o rings. they are used for different environments. mine has to be able to stand up to gasolene. thanks for the replies.
http://www.theoringstore.com/

Last edited:
i have the original tank in mine. it take the o ring. i went to napa, autozone and the hardware store and they just looked at me like i just fell off the turnup truck. i sent a request for a quote to the o ring store. we'll see if they will come through.
another thing about o rings. they are used for different environments. mine has to be able to stand up to gasolene. thanks for the replies.

Do you have pictures of your original tank and o ring? I don't think I have seen that setup.

threewood,If you give me a day or 2 I will shoot a few photos. I have the tank,o-ring and fillerneck out of my 63 Belvedere.

Original 62-63 tank necks used O-rings. All replacement tanks use the grommet. I used the 70-74 E-body grommet as it has a double outer seal. Works fine.

i have the original tank in mine. it take the o ring. i went to napa, autozone and the hardware store and they just looked at me like i just fell off the turnup truck. i sent a request for a quote to the o ring store. we'll see if they will come through.
I said a GOOD Napa, not one of those that blow you off because they don’t want to take the time to look for something they aren’t familiar with. :D

Original 62-63 tank necks used O-rings. All replacement tanks use the grommet. I used the 70-74 E-body grommet as it has a double outer seal. Works fine.

SOB I'm glad somebody on here is thinking!

The fact that @flatheadgary stated he is useing the original tank, flew right over my head. I had to go out to the scrap pile and take a couple of pics of the tank that came out of my '62.
20180226_100722.jpg
20180226_100737.jpg
20180226_100754.jpg

Measurements, I'd go with the 13/64"
Screenshot_2018-02-26-10-15-16.jpg
20180226_101645.jpg

MW 413 says he used a '70-'74 E body, that's good enough for me! Thanks MW

Thanks, Now I don't have to go looking. There ya go threewood !

yea, i tried measuring my old one too. i used inside dividers and my caliper to get the 2 3/8th dim from the tank, as the o ring will distort trying to sweaze the caliper on it. who knows until you spend money nowadays with old cars and the way business' drop some inventory. what is it the carnival barker say's " place your bet and take your chances" thanks again for the replies. you may not always get the right answer on threads but you always learn something. have a great day.

well, i just ordered 2 o rings from the o ring store. they hadn't got back to me yet so i just went ahead and bought them. it seems odd know body has a stock tank in need of this o ring, so i could get info on what they did. i guess tanks are always rusted to far so new tanks are a must.

Auto Transport Service
Back