• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling trim holes.

SandDiesel

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
What have you guys done to fill trim holes? I am probably going to do a trim delete and curious if everyone welds them in or do some folks use filler, glass etc. Just want to know what you've done and how it worked out. If I use something other than welding, the holes could be picked up again if someone wanted to reinstall the trim. Thoughts?

FBBO Member "Todd" posted this pic of his Dads car in the 65 picture thread. Want to go the same route.

attachment.jpg

Best way would be to weld them, but if not you could always use short chop strand fiberglass.

I agree, welding the trim holes closed is the best way to go.

If you can get behind the holes have someone hold a flat piece of copper against the hole while you weld up the hole from the other side. Use a mig welder and start at the edges of the hole moving inward to the center until the hole is welded shut. I use a flat bar of 1/8" copper bent into an angle so it can be held.

Joe

Here's what I do, I don't have any pictures of this method handy but it's easy enough to understand without pics.

I use nails, regular old steel carpentry nails.

It's the nail head itself you are using to fill the hole with my method. You can select the correct sized nail for your trim hole by head size. You can roll the outer diameter of the nail head on a grinder to make it fit through the hole for a flush "patch" or you can just use a clipped head type nail which I have had good luck with just fishing it through the holefrom outside the car then pulling outward pressure with a welding glove while you tack it in there. Pretty straight forward, you weld it up with the nail head as a patch or backer then you take a cutting wheel and slice the nail shank off the outside of the car.

Northerndave, That is a great idea I have never heard of anyone doing that but its a great tip!

i've welded mine. i think it's the appropriate way to go.

Attachments

• 67PAINT 002.jpg
    67PAINT 002.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 920
  • 67PAINT 003.jpg
    67PAINT 003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 903
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of it, I first used that method when filling many trim holes on the body of a 78 ford pickup I did for myself in the mid 90's.

Used it many times since on other projects with good results.

My Dad owned a body shop ,we use to braze in the hole ,and while the hole was red hot we would use the grinder and grind them off even,couldnt even tell there was a hole there.primer ,a little spot putty and gone.The trick is to grind them ,when they are hot .so if you have a set of torches ,it is very simple
Paul

If you fill them, don't forget to dimple the hole to below the level of the sheet metal so you have filler on both sides of the metal for strength. Like someone above said, use the short stranded fiberglass filler so you have strength as well as waterproof filler. If you just use regular plastic, sooner or later it's gonna absorb water and pop up and fall out while it starts rust.

Thanks for the help guys. Think northerdaves idea will work the easiest for me. Inexperienced welder, this should reduce the mess and blow through. Copper backing bar is a good idea too.

Ok, I have to weigh in here, if you choose any other method than welding they will show up. Period. Doesn't matter what you fill the holes with, adhesives, long strand/short strand etc. they will reappear as a ghost ring around the filled hole due to expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials. Take it to the bank my friends!

Just weld them and forget about it. Keep an air gun with you so you can cool them quickly. All the plastic fillers are junk. The fiberglass Filler will show thru. If you have the patience and experience then lead them. Make sure you pre clean both sides of the holes. Any Undercating or sound deadener will foul the weld.

snakeoil24, Obviously you don't do much body work cause "all the plastic fillers are junk" and "the fiberglass filler will show thru" If your talking about bleeding then you obviously did not use any sealer but I have only seen those problems with large area repairs.

Trim Holes

snakeoil24, Obviously you don't do much body work cause "all the plastic fillers are junk" and "the fiberglass filler will show thru" If your talking about bleeding then you obviously did not use any sealer but I have only seen those problems with large area repairs.
raze with Silione

Green Monster sorry but Ive been doing this 40 years. Avoid using fillers or fiberglass bondo. Use a mig welder, Braze with silicone bronze rod or lead the holes. You Bondo babies have no clue.

Yes things have changed in 40 years but not filling holes in metal. When you leave the car in the sun and the metal expands, the bondo babbies will show up right away. But if you like using Bondo please do I won't stop you.

You must weld up the holes period.I mean weld them with mig or tig with a steel filler metal.No lead,no silicon brazing,no spray brazing,no brazing,soldering period.Lead is a poor repair as well,it becomes acitic.It will break down in a very long period of time,the big problems is the acitic layer that forms between the lead and top coat.Brazing is even worse,silicon bronze a big maybe at best.Weld the holes up,grind them down,and use a quality filler to finish the imperfections.Take your time with the grinding and welding,don't build a bunch of heat.Don't use a blow gun to cool it,you will harden the weld almost if you water quenched it.Don't use duraglass or all metal.Use a quality polyester based filler(Zgrip or quantum is my choise) to finish off the repair.The repair is not a major job.It is time consuming,if you want to do it right.

Well I had another post but it did not show up, I mig all my holes shut but if someone does not have the know how or just wants to do it quick for a driver short chop glass will work, But as I stated sounds like your a know-it-all snakeoil24.

Auto Transport Service
Back