• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling trim holes.

Dura glass is not water proof,it is a pourus product.It is a short hair fiberglass reinforced,not a complete fiberglass product.It is polybased with talc and resin with short strand fiberglass.All metal is a poyester based filler that has aluminum particles added.Niether of these are water proof.This is an old myth,contact evercoat the largest producer of body type fillers.I once believed dura glass was water proof.I worked with evercoats r&d department in the field with the newer quantum product and was schooled on a great deal of misconceptions.
Mig brazing is something new to most.They have a similar product called metal spraying.It is used in the resto world for pitted or pin holed sheet metal.I was told by a few companies a four to six year life span.Mig brazing has a couple of issues as well.First it has to have a metal backer to be done correctly.Second it will shrink and expand at a drastic diffrence from sheetmetal during temprature changes.I don't have any first hand experience in filling holes with it,but do think it will sadow line.I know the silicon bronze used by the auto industry was terrible for shadow lines.Mig brazing being a similar product and used to replace silicon bronze.May have some of the same characters?Something I will do some more digging on,make a few phone calls.

"metal spray"... sounds like the wire fed flame spray process I am kinda familiar with. it gets legs every now and then, the idea of melting something as you feed it and atomizing for spray application. They do a similar process for plastic (powder coating) too.

I think some of the metal spray was originally for hard surfacing?

Thats how it started.They used to repair parts that were beyond spec. they would build it up and machine it to tolerance.I see it alot with large hydraulic ram parts from heavy equipment.Its impressive to watch.

Popular Hot Rodding had an article in the June 2011 issue "Paint it to Perfection". In the article they used JB Weld and body filler to cover the trim holes. I didn't see anyone mention that in this thread, (or I missed it ). Pros and Cons of this method? Sure would make it easy for Rookies who can't weld yet. The reference to JB weld is on page 42 of the mag.

JB Weld???? Hmmmm. must have been farmers! Can't be any worse than the time a buddy tore down a 440 and found one water jacket fully JB welded in!!! I bout **** my pants!!

JB weld.............Bwwwaahahahahahaha!! Who ever wrote that article should be dumped in the sea or strapped to a Grizzly Bear. Was it on a 77' Ranchero sitting on blocks?

What's next?????? Play-Doh.

carry on with the never ending hole fillin expo..........................

I frequent a hunting/outdoors forum where I've posted sort of a tech article for DIY glass bedding for rifles into their stocks for consistent accuracy etc.

So I get e-mails, PM's, phone calls now & then asking questions about that stuff now & then.

I get a panic call from a really good dude out east, Virginia I think. Anyways, he was bored and decided to bed a barreled action into rifle stock but he couldn't wait for the acra glass kit to arrive, didn't feel like shopping for one... He did have some JB weld laying around though....

It's actually not uncommon to use JB for this purpose but things went horribly wrong for this dude and he was ready to chit an ostrich over the whole deal lol!!

He was like a suicide jumper that had to be talked back in off the ledge.

oh JB weld, is there anything it CANT do?

lol!!

There, now I managed to insert Steve Martin and also an ostrich into the trim hole thread, my work is done here.

:grin:

Green monster sorry did not mean to have a problem with you we just want your mopar to look great. Silicone bronze no brass brazing. Mopar poor you sound like u been at it a while. That lead coating was made by Dutch Boy. I still have maybe a pint of it. Very poisionus. We used baking soda to kill the acid.

WOW!!!!!!! Reading this thread has been pure entertainment. Im glad there wasnt a much harder question asked.

No better way to see a thread go off the deep end than to ask "What's the best way to..."

Filling trim holes

The easiest way is to fill the holes with silicone bronze rod. You can tig it, mig it or use a map gas torch. Keep a rag around and cool it each time. Or you can put 16 penny nail heads in the hole and silicone bronze the nail head slightly below the hole then fill with lead.

For those who choose to fight and argue, try pulling your thumb out of your asses and stick it in the whole.

I plugged a "Boat Hole" once with J.B....well, it still works
3 years later!...
BTW; it looks like $hit but it works..

Sonny

I'm gonna use jb weld in spite of all of you...

inout.gif

Save the trim holes!!

All across the world ancient trim holes are dissapearing at an alarming rate.

Queue sad music... pan to scene...

These trim holes seen behind me here have been around for decades, and by this time next year they will be gone for ever.

Act now, be a part of this movement to preserve trim hole heritage.

PM me for instructions on how you can fight trim hole eratication with your generous money donations.

i fill trim holes with a stud gun.seems to work fine,never had any problems.great for lazy people or nonwelders out there.you can buy a kit at harbor freight for about 100 bucks.

i fill trim holes with a stud gun.seems to work fine,never had any problems.great for lazy people or nonwelders out there.you can buy a kit at harbor freight for about 100 bucks.

You got pics?

Auto Transport Service
Back