• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Bought My Dream Car. 1969 Roadrunner Project

great looking work stevo,man you are moving right along.

So I wanted to see how the quarter was going to fit. It took a couple try's but eventually it decided to cooperate with some persuasion. My only problem is this is how it lines up and the rear window and Dutchman panel.
IMG_0921.jpgIMG_0922.jpgIMG_0928.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0935.jpgIMG_0920.jpgIMG_0930.jpgIMG_0931.jpgIMG_0932.jpgIMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpg
Every other area worked out pretty good
IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0923.jpgIMG_0936.jpg
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see how the Dutchman panel area could be so far off. With the rear window I could just make a cut down the side to bring over the edge. If it comes to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at Propwash's thread showed me my assumptions about the flanges being to long on every part of the panel was correct. I trimmed a little on the roof line just for the test fit but I will go through the same processes propwash went through with each panel. I think after some tinkering it will fit up pretty well. So until then I'll spend my time cleaning all the area behind the quarter,patching the rocker in a couple areas, and Dehumping the wheel house.

Tried buying some SEM copper weld thru primer for my next order of parts and apparently you cant buy it in the hippie state of commiefornia. Great.

EDIT: I was able to get my hands on some 3M Weldable primer

- - - Updated - - -

So got a bunch of rust-bullet on the way. Some new lower window corners for each side. Weld through primer. Ready to jam out!

Sorry, these are all I have of it (wasn't a member here yet so I didn't takes as many pics). All I did was take the inner fender straight up right above the wheel well lip so anything that fit within the well would clear all the way up as well. When making the top I just tried to avoid getting into the roof pillar but keeping it as high as I could. Just start cutting stencils and test fitting until you have it figured out. Like I told you in the PM Daytona did a really nice job on his as well.

P.S that well wasn't fully welded in the pic yet.

DSCN7879.jpg

DSCN7886.jpg

DSCN7888.jpg

Last edited:
Already started having some fun with some cardboard;P thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

This should work good enough to get the right shape for the sheetmetal. From there I can fine tune it. I figured when I cut the tub I will leave extra so I can bend it up as a flange to make it a little easier . Thanks for the good ideas 747!image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanx for the comp 747.. Yep Steve, the flanging is a good idea. That helps with any strength issues as well as a good connection without pinholes. I flanged where I could and then left some tabs and butt welded the horiz to vert pieces. You can also leave some rib type braces when you cut out the hump to hold the outer lip in position., then cut them out when done.

Attachments

• CAM1.jpg
    CAM1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 367
  • CAM2.jpg
    CAM2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 357
Yeah I saw how you cut it out with the ribs. Thought it was a real awesome idea and was going to use your method.

Those AMD Quarters really do need a lot of trimming/tweaking to get a decent fit. I was able to get the dutchman to sit correct, but it sure did need the help of a couple long arm vise grips secured from the dutchman part of the quarter to the rear window channel frame to do so. As far as the quater window opening fit, that's the biggest gripe I had and a lot of other folks as well. I remember one member that had to relief cut all the way down just to pull the quarter towards the outside 3/16" of an inch. I was able to get mine to fit, but only after messing around with fit for about 5-6 hours a side. I remember using a 2 x 4 and a body hammer against the opening to get it to seat the 1/8" or so that it was sitting in too far to the inside. I also had to put a 3" relief cut from the top working down of the quarters window opening lip (right in the 90* where the quarter lips to flush, where the lip would be spot welded to the window frame opening). The window opening height of the quarter was too tall up at the roof transition. That cut (with a 1/16" cutting wheel), allowed the quarter to slip under the rood skin easier, as well as took tension of the dutchman area below. Best advice I can give you is spend more than ample time fitting the quarters. Once you're convinced the fit cannot get any better, start securing the panel via Vise grips/sheetmetal screws/cleco's (not weld!) and figure out where your deficiencies or extra metal lies. Make small cuts if need be. See how the panel reacts to the cuts in all areas of the panel and not just the immediate area. Hope it helps Steve. You'll probably be spending more time on your quarter fit/trim/tweaking than all of the rest of welding them up, grinding spot welds, filler and block sanding.

Thanks a bunch Prop. You have confirmed my suspicions on all the areas I was questioning. I still got a decent amount of cleanup and patching to do before I try and re fit the quarters. But I'll take every little tip you got! I had a feeling this was gonna end up being the most time consuming part of the build. But I'll take my time to get it "perfect".

This is where I'm at right now. Got off work a little early . Gonna run to the store and buy a sheetmetal nibbler to make cuts a little easier image.jpgimage.jpg

Still not done welding.. But I've been fairly busy lately. Just trying to work on it whenever I can.... Also test fitted the quarters and they fit a little betterimage.jpg

Glad you dehumped before the quarter. I didn't catch it till after. Not any fun then. The quaters will work just takes lots of trimming fitting. I also found all the bends to be under or over what they needed to be. You can check my thread also for tips. Note the tail light ext. area will also be very time consuming and not even close to what it needs to be. Also be sure to fit your trunk before welding in the rear window filler panel to get your gaps right.

Glad you dehumped before the quarter. I didn't catch it till after. Not any fun then. The quaters will work just takes lots of trimming fitting. I also found all the bends to be under or over what they needed to be. You can check my thread also for tips. Note the tail light ext. area will also be very time consuming and not even close to what it needs to be. Also be sure to fit your trunk before welding in the rear window filler panel to get your gaps right.
Everything fits great except for where the trunk extension meets the bottom of the quarter at the wheel well. The gap was about an inch apart. I'm thinking the wheel house had moved a bit with all the welding and the fact the car took a hit there. But being everything fits perfect I've decided to just fold the trunk extension lip to meet the quarter in that one little area. Not a show car and no one would ever be able to catch it unless I told them. Door gap= perfect...sail panel= perfect...trunk=perfect.... All my measurements match exactly to the old quarter also... So with that being said... I'm done messing with it.

Just read this entire post man this is a great build , your doing a great job with the road runner ,it's looking much better then when you started , I can't wait till my back doctor gives me the thumbs up to go back to work I miss doing this stuff . Good luck with the rest can't wait to see more . And are you sure you never have done body work before ? You could of fooled me

View attachment 244828

View attachment 244827

this is the area in question. I just pulled the flange out to meet with the quarter. Good enough for me because the other alternative I don't want to do.

View attachment 244829

going to weld it on this weekend

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgthe underside

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 244834was able to shoehorn the wheel in there to see how it looked awhile back. As it sits the wheel would stick out past the quarter an inch or two. So when I get my S60 I'll have to order it shortened

- - - Updated - - -

Just read this entire post man this is a great build , your doing a great job with the road runner ,it's looking much better then when you started , I can't wait till my back doctor gives me the thumbs up to go back to work I miss doing this stuff . Good luck with the rest can't wait to see more . And are you sure you never have done body work before ? You could of fooled me
Thanks. Good luck with the back. I fight spasms every now and then but I just take breaks for awhile. I'm a learn as I go type of person. The next car I build will be a lot easier that's for sure haha

Last edited:
image.jpgfirst round of spot welding started today.. Yesterday I was out there for 10+ hours prepping and finishing work under the quarter.

image.jpg

Sweet!!! Heck of a good feeling sliding the quarters on for the first time isn't it! Makes a guy feel like he's really turning the corner. Good work & happy spot welding!

Auto Transport Service
Back