• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally found a Super Bee, South Carolina to San Diego...

The cast iron transmissions from the early days had rear pumps along with front pumps. You had to get going faster than a manual car, but it would roll start.
My old ‘59 Ford would start this way too. Had a 2 speed auto in. About 20-25mph is when it would engage and roll over. Telling people this story over the years they would say I was nuts, and that it’s not possible. I may be nuts, but it’s true.

Glad you made it back safe & sound. A trip to remember for sure! Bet you got a lot of thumbs up along the way.

Later cable shift aluminium transmissions also had rear pumps and would push start. Rear pump was removed for 1966. 4- speed Hydramatics also had this feature. With the rear pump, the rotating drive shaft will allow this pump to pressurize the hydraulic circuits. With enough speed, by shifting into "Drive", front and rear clutch packs engage, and will roll the engine over.

That is a car I would serious want.
But I'm glad you got it.
(Really).
And yes, there is NO reason these cars if maintained can't go cross county.
Ask me how I know.
People have understandably come to expect more comfort and economy in cars.
My one caveat in that car and said trip, is the non original items.
After a 72 Challenger 20 something years ago, I said I would never again buy someone else's hot rod.
If I build them myself I know what to expect.
But I'm sure you knew whether you could trust the seller or not.
Happy Moparing.

I am extremely jealous! My back won't let me sit right now, and I don't own a Bee, but I would so love to do what you just did. Great car, and a great beginning to your ownership of an icon.

congratulations on the trip and the car! 4 days and that kind of mileage with no issues, I'm not sure if I would even do a thing to that car!

Congrats on the long haul and the new Bee! Any more pics of the cross country trek would be great!

Congrats on the long haul and the new Bee! Any more pics of the cross country trek would be great!

We were really just focused on crushing miles everyday, wake up, get on the road, eat at gas stations, drive till a little after dark then find dinner and a hotel. I'd like to do another cross country trip and take my time a little more. I did a cross country trip on a rigid harley before over the course of 3 weeks and it was awesome. I think before I do it again in the Bee I will get a gear vendors setup haha

I drove Cincinnati to San Jose in a Duster back in the late 1980s and loved the trip. I took three days, got a ticket in Oklahoma for 20 over (while traveling 30 over), and loved every minute of the trip. I was alone and listened to local hillbilly AM stations across the country. This was actually really entertaining.

Car gave no problems whatsoever.

Willing to do this again, but not alone!

Auto Transport Service
Back