• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Working on the wire mesh now . . .

Got all of the full sheets tied down and together . . . need more ties but it holds now . . . and I've got them alternating sides for best coverage and support . . .

Just need to cut the last 2 sheets into 2' lengths and tie them into the holes on the sides . . .

sm_shop092.jpg

Darn mosquitoes were out in force and trying to carry me away . . .

More Later . . .

Last edited:
Got contacted by the contractor this week . . .

he said he's going to try and get my pad poured next week ! !

It's almost that time . . . can't wait ! ! !

Trying to finish up all the prep work . . . working on the stanchions . . .

Got most of them in place . . . got a few on the far end to put in . . . and might add a few on the sides . . .
To keep the mesh off the ground and "somewhere" in the middle of the 4" of concrete . . . (I hope)

sm_shop093.jpg

This was my plan of action . . . pour concrete into a cut off piece of 4" (or 3") PVC . . .
got a tie in the middle to (maybe) help hold it in place . . . Most of them are thin / cut and can be removed
This one (unfortunately) is schedule 40 and not sliced . . . will try and get it off later . . . maybe . . .

sm_shop094.jpg

Looking forward to getting a pad in place . . .

More later . . .

Excellent progress there with the shed floor.

I love that Redneck Tow-Truck to get the tree stump out. Classic. :lol:

Concrete is now on the schedule . . . Thursday . . . HOWEVER . . .

I've been advised that they want a vapor barrier down . . .

Look at what I've got in place (it's actually worse than that) . . . I'll have to get it done ( as they say ) -

sm_shop093.jpg

Oh boy . . . figures . . . and rain in the schedule for tomorrow - thanks to IDA . . .

More later . . . .

Finally . . . we have a concrete pad ! ! !

The guys came in on Thursday and knocked this thing out . . . showed up with their equipment . . .

sm_shop095.jpg

Ready to get started . . .

sm_shop096.jpg

These 3 guys knocked it out . . . great guys too

sm_shop097.jpg

Getting it all on the ground . . .

sm_shop098.jpg

And then the bull float to get it all level . . . we're at the half way point now . . .

sm_shop099.jpg

Thinking about what this is going to look like . . .

sm_shop100.jpg

WOW . . . finally, I've got a pad . . . still needs some work . . .

sm_shop101.jpg

Polishing the back half that was put down first . . .

sm_shop102.jpg

Bent these rebars to help tie the rebar to the 2 courses of block that I'm going to put down . . .

sm_shop103.jpg

Trying to get to the front half but the tree shade slowed it down . . . it was only 80 here today . . .

sm_shop104.jpg

Sure is a sight ( or site ) for sore eyes . . . glad to see a pad for a start of my shop . . .

More later . . .

And the finished product . . . already pulling the forms off of the pad . . . and getting ready for blocks . . .

sm_shop105.jpg

On my way . . .

More later . . .

Looks nice Larry. Way better than if you had mixed up bags and done it yourself :poke:. You are certainly classified as an animal in my book.

Last edited:
Had some visitors this morning . . .

Looks like the annual Turkey Meeting was scheduled for my backyard today . . .

sm_turkeys01.jpg

Surprised . . . quite a few of them too . . .

sm_turkeys02.jpg

More later . . .

There is nothing more satisfying than fresh concrete laid out nice after all the hard work has been done to prep the area.

Looks great. :thumbsup:

More progress on this project . . .

Setting up for setting 2 courses of blocks . . .

sm_shop106.jpg

Got my line in place . . .

sm_shop108.jpg

The morning session of setting blocks . . .

sm_shop109.jpg

And the Afternoon session of setting blocks . . .

sm_shop110.jpg

Got 3 corners set up with 2 courses . . . and deciding on "how" I want to do the openings to center shop area . . .

sm_shop111.jpg

Hope to be able to get this blockwork done ASAP and get to building walls . . .

More later . . .

Looks nice Larry. Way better than if you had mixed up bags and done it yourself :poke:. You are certainly classified as an animal my book.

10 yard using 80 lb bags . . . OH BOY . . . NOT ! ! ! LMAO . . . . ( that's 450 bags . . . not happening . . . )

"Animal" . . . I guess that is a compliment . . . THANKS !

Dammit, I opened this thread again.... And now I'm beat & my back is hurting again.... Yes, Animal!!!! I wish I still had that in me...

More progress on this build . . .

On Friday I got this done . . . cut grooves in the block to accept rebar . . .

sm_shop112.jpg

And I got the blocks spacing figured out for the end wall . . . so it will be evenly spaced . . .

sm_shop113.jpg

Started working on the second course . . .

sm_shop114.jpg

Progress moving along quite nicely . . .

sm_shop115.jpg

this was the end of the morning session . . . got quite a way on this wall . . .

sm_shop116.jpg

After lunch I got the side wall and end wall mortared in place . . .

sm_shop117.jpg

Got the corner 2 courses tall to be able to run the second course on the end wall . . .

sm_shop118.jpg

And started to fill them with concrete . . . yeah, more 80 pound bags of concrete being lugged around . . .

sm_shop119.jpg

Then I had a surprise visit from my daughter and her family, so I'm taking a break and spending some time with them . . .

More later . . .

How long has it been since the pad was poured? That will be alot of weight on the edge when you fill those blocks. I would make sure you let it cure some...Just my UN official opinion

How long has it been since the pad was poured? That will be alot of weight on the edge when you fill those blocks. I would make sure you let it cure some...Just my UN official opinion

The slab is sitting on 12" x 12 - 16" footers with rebar in them that have been curing for a couple months, the new slab is a couple weeks old and I really doubt that it's going anywhere . . . But good question and thanks for your thoughts

The slab is sitting on 12" x 12 - 16" footers with rebar in them that have been curing for a couple months, the new slab is a couple weeks old and I really doubt that it's going anywhere . . . But good question and thanks for your thoughts
Oh yeah, you are good... Based on your pics it looked like you were setting up the block the next day... Great project, I need you around my place... I got beer... LOL

Wish I could get more done, but it's getting dark faster . . . got this done after work . . .

Not much, but every little bit gets me closer to getting this thing done . . .

sm_shop120.jpg

Only one wall left . . .

Hope to get the ( at least ) the first course of it done this weekend, and the blocks filled with concrete . . .
And get the anchor bolts set in the concrete too . . .

Oh boy - lugging around 80 pound bags again . . . I'm SO LOOKING forward to it . . .

More later . . .

After completing the block work, I think I wore out the puppy dog . . . what do you think ? ? ?

sm_woreoutdog01.jpg

He is almost 12 years old . . . and his hind legs are not always working like they use to work . . .

But we still walk a mile every night and he's still doing pretty well . . . for an old man . . .

Making progress . . . but lugging 80 pound bags of concrete mix, and buckets of wet, heavy concrete . . . UGH !

First of all to set the anchor bolts into the concrete . . . I made this jig to set the depth and keep them properly vertical . . .
( well . . . it kinda worked . . . had to make a slight adjustment to the jig . . . )

sm_shop121.jpg

got 2/3 of this wall done, and the anchor bolts set . . .
Got the first course of this and the back wall filled with concrete . . . ready to do the rest later / tomorrow . . .

sm_shop122.jpg

Might have a change of plans for tomorrow . . .

My daughter made me a grandpa ( 2nd time ) . . . but, the baby was born 8 weeks early due to complications.
She is currently at Duke Hospital - in the NICU unit until she's big, and strong enough to go home.
She "really needs" to hold her little one, but they won't let the 2 year old into the NICU . . . she was 2 lbs 10 oz . . . tiny.

So I'm going to go spend some time with my other granddaughter and give them time to see there little one in the NICU.

Looks like a WIN-WIN to me . . . so shop construction gets a short break for MORE important things in life ! ! !

More later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back