• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time I got to play with the new Ram's 4x4

70rr-brian

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
Got a few inches today and was the 1st time I really got a chance to play with the 2012 Ram's 4 wheel drive. Been a long time since I have owned a 4x4 truck.

IDK if its cause of the big 20"ers on it or what but even a full punchdown at low speeds and she just bites and goes in some pretty slick conditions. Was having a blast in the damn thing leaving lights at full throttle!

Like a big dumb kid.

I got a 2012 4x4 RAM also, how's the rotator knob work, and what's the neutral button for right next to the 4x4 selector knob? And, can you drive with the 4x4 engaged? Mine is the Outdoorsman package with locking axle, not sure...itching to get it in some white stuff for sure!

I wonder if they have some sort computer actuated form of "traction slippage control", where it apllies brakes to the slipping wheel or something for Ice, Snow or mud, I haven't really kept up with the new stuff lately... I know my old 99 SLT 4x4 Dakota doesn't, but it does have sure grip & has the anti-lock brakes, it's pretty nice when on ice & snow here... I only have Less Swabb 11"x32" Wild Country Raidial RVT/all terrain M/S tires on stock 16" rims on mine, they're more than adaquate for upto about near 3' of snow so far, it motors right thru, I have no need to go thru any crap deeper than that, I hope anyway...LOL... It's not worth getting stuck & freezing your but off... I've owned much bigger 4x4 trucks, with more power, better tires & 6" lifts that didn't do as well...

I got a 2012 4x4 RAM also, how's the rotator knob work, and what's the neutral button for right next to the 4x4 selector knob? And, can you drive with the 4x4 engaged? Mine is the Outdoorsman package with locking axle, not sure...itching to get it in some white stuff for sure!

You can shift to 4x4 (high) on the fly up to 55 mph. The 4x4 (low) I am thinking should be engaged from a stop and not to exceed 25mph. The neutral button is for being towed if I am not mistaken. But it does have some sort of crazy locking axle. (not limited-slip) If you put it in 4x4 of any kind at a low speed and try to take a hard turn you will see what I mean about the locking axle if the pavement is dry. It does NOT want to turn at all. It feels like the axle is stuck when you do that. Try it, you will see what I mean. But in the slippery stuff making slow sharp turns is still difficult. But normal driving on the road with the locking axle isn't an issue at all. And like I said...she sure grips and rips. Was a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they have some sort computer actuated form of "traction slippage control", where it apllies brakes to the slipping wheel or something for Ice, Snow or mud, I haven't really kept up with the new stuff lately... I know my old 99 SLT 4x4 Dakota doesn't, but it does have sure grip & has the anti-lock brakes, it's pretty nice when on ice & snow here... I only have Less Swabb 11"x32" Wild Country Raidial RVT/all terrain M/S tires on stock 16" rims on mine, they're more than adaquate for upto about near 3' of snow so far, it motors right thru, I have no need to go thru any crap deeper than that, I hope anyway...LOL... It's not worth getting stuck & freezing your but off... I've owned much bigger 4x4 trucks, with more power, better tires & 6" lifts that didn't do as well...

It has something called an anti-spin axle. So yeah it probably has a lot of crap going on in the computer to keep things going so good and true. But there is a lot of stuff on the truck that also contributes I am sure. It has something called torque management. Which prevents full power being applied to the rear wheels from the hemi. On normal dry roads if you floor it you can feel it being held back until certain speeds before the computer finally says OK I will give you all the power now.

My friend bought an '07 Cummins Diesel Ram with a 6 speed stick. It was so ******* amazing. If you're gonna drive a big truck, it should be diesel and it damn well better have a stick shift!

You just can't beat four wheel drive. I'm so addicted, I even built a 4x4 Ford van with a Cummins and Dodge drive train for my work. I'll never be able to go back to 2 wheel drive. I'm not that fond of all the electronic controlled 4x4 stuff, but it should work just fine. Before you get yourself stuck and then try to figure it out, figure out exactly how it engages. This will be important when you are stuck for good. Sometimes they require you change directions (at least change the direction of the spinning wheels). Some need to have the load taken off the drive train then reapplied. Also learn the signs of when it's in vs out. You can't go through neutral in gear, you usually need to be in park. BUT, if you did TRY to go through don't put in in park with the sprag spinning, shut the engine off then put in park. Course, all these newer computer controlled vehicles might take the stupid out of some of it. And remember in the snow: you can accelerate faster with 4x4, but you can't stop any faster!!!

Have fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back