• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Brake Experts...

Ginja

Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Quick query. Without a booster will a standard manual master cylinder (1") allow me to stop the car with 2.94" diameter disc brake pistons (recon GM FRC4417). Brakes are OK at the moment with drums but my wheel bearing has spun in the hub so seems like I may as well just fit the disc kit if it will work. I don't have enough intake vacuum for a booster and no interest in a complex summer job having had it on the ramp most of the winter.

Not well. You probably want a Disc/Drum MC anyway with extra reservoir for the front and no residual valve. Maybe a 15/16" to get the added pressure for the front.

call Cass at Dr Diff, he's the man to ask, he does this everyday at work

call Cass at Dr Diff, he's the man to ask, he does this everyday at work
Completely agree......Dr Diff....He is the best and the one to rely on for accurate information.....

Last edited:
You do need a disc master with it's bigger reservoir, but I would remove the residual pressure valve from the front circuit ( rear port ) and try it. If it works great , then get a disc master as close as possible to 1". If it doesn't work well, then you have a baseline to work from.

Ah, so my cunning plan of using what I already have simply results in needing more.. In which case, I cannot find a new wheel hub (for drum brakes) anywhere. Is it possible to buy these new? My new replacement 'outer' bearing is loose in my current hub in what I thought was going to be a simple rip and replace job. At the moment I just want the thing up and running with little fuss.

I guess on the other side of the pond makes it harder. A lot of folks do a conversion to disc, so I am surprised you can't find a used drum set up/parts. Maybe post on the want/for sale section.

I sent you a PM. We do have some NOS and NORS drums with hubs.

Thanks
James From
PST

Auto Transport Service
Back