• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad Tim asked because I didn't want to admit that I didn't know what MCACN was either. I was just going to look it up to see it I could figure it out. I would love to go but it may be a few years before this Western kid could afford to go that far, right Threewood?
No worries guys....I was once in the same boat of not knowing....

road trip?

That's why I think a route 66 cruise would be cool! Could meet a lot of members along the way!

Showard I didn't realize Corvettes were muscle cars :D
Remember they are separate words:popcorn2:

Careful if you think mopar guys are finicky wait till you run into an OE vette guy, lol:wetting:

That is a great plan Tim!

That's why I think a route 66 cruise would be cool! Could meet a lot of members along the way!

Showard I didn't realize Corvettes were muscle cars :D
Yes, and it puts to many acronyms in.

That would be a great road trip. Start out West and we could puck up quite a string of us traveling together.

Yes, and it puts to many acronyms in.

That would be a great road trip. Start out West and we could puck up quite a string of us traveling together.

I think if we all draft of one another we could raise or mpg too!
I've done old 66 a couple of times. Some neat stops and sections of the old route but most was I-40 zooming along. I have not done the whole section through Illinois though.

Well Justin, I just spent 4 hours skimming this (can't claim I read it all) and I really don't know what to say to you other than you're more nuts than I am !! LOL You're making my work look minimal at best. What a GREAT build (and reference) thread !!

I think if we all draft of one another we could raise or mpg too!
I've done old 66 a couple of times. Some neat stops and sections of the old route but most was I-40 zooming along. I have not done the whole section through Illinois though.
Well, me & the bride did the whole route in '70 w/o a/c in August from St.Louis all the way to the west coast. Hey, when ur 21 you can handle anything! Now I'm thinking of MCAN myself for Nov. Love to see Justin&&& the 'X'. AND going over 100pgs(?) awesome.

Well Justin, I just spent 4 hours skimming this (can't claim I read it all) and I really don't know what to say to you other than you're more nuts than I am !! LOL You're making my work look minimal at best. What a GREAT build (and reference) thread !!
Wayne

Lol...we are nuts aren't we..Thats probably why we mesh so well in relation to these machines. I do hope your bring your wonderful thread over here soon....The guys here will enjoy every ounce of that!

You sir have very talented skills and it shows in the fine restoration your doing....Minimal? by no means but I appreciate your humility.....You also have to deal with a border and high shipping costs. Sometimes here in the states we don't realize how easy and cheaper we have things..

I appreciate you taking the time to look at my thread and I also really appreciate your compliments!

Justin

Quality control check !! Did you remember this S clip??

beerestoration2015 216.JPG

Well, me & the bride did the whole route in '70 w/o a/c in August from St.Louis all the way to the west coast. Hey, when ur 21 you can handle anything! Now I'm thinking of MCAN myself for Nov. Love to see Justin&&& the 'X'. AND going over 100pgs(?) awesome.
Jeff

Reminds me of stories my dad relayed about the trips he made back in the day. Thanks for sharing!

Don't think....GO....I would enjoy meeting you in person and to see the X in person....

I never would have thought my thread would have gotten past 50, lol.....

Thanks for the compliments!

Justin

Quality control check !! Did you remember this S clip??

View attachment 567355
These are the eyes and ears I like! I welcome it with open arms....

That "s" clip is in place but was placed on later.....I clearly remember because snapping that thing in at the time one edge sliced my finger.....It is so small and thin....

I don't recall even showing a pic nor explain once installed....Gives me something to add to the thread and I will try to get a clear picture of it tomorrow!

Thanks Wayne!

Justin

Are you talking about the clip for the 2 brake lines Justin?

Last edited:
Justin,

I agree that you should make a plaque. Better yet, tell a story.

Look my car is no concourse, wonder restoration. It is nice, don't get me wrong, but not a trailer queen. Yet it always attracts a lot of attention because the story and pictures of my drive across country (I've improved the taped on white paper sign since the picture below!). Stories make cars neat and they draw people in.

Your GTX is one of the finest restorations I have seen; the attention to detail is second to none. But people need to linger a while and truly look the car over to discover these. People would love to hear the story behind the car. It makes it that much more special, and it is what will draw people in to look closely at it and enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents...

Hawk

20160715_101719.jpg

Justin,

I agree that you should make a plaque. Better yet, tell a story.

Look my car is no concourse, wonder restoration. It is nice, don't get me wrong, but not a trailer queen. Yet it always attracts a lot of attention because the story and pictures of my drive across country (I've improved the taped on white paper sign since the picture below!). Stories make cars neat and they draw people in.

Your GTX is one of the finest restorations I have seen; the attention to detail is second to none. But people need to linger a while and truly look the car over to discover these. People would love to hear the story behind the car. It makes it that much more special, and it is what will draw people in to look closely at it and enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents...

Hawk

View attachment 567455
Hawk

Really appreciate the input on this! What a beautiful ride yours is...I love every aspect of it and it is done nicely!

Most certainly I am going to do a plaque or maybe two. I like the bronze type that Kid gave a link too and to do another similar to your. Right now I am toying around ideas to make a decision....The story of this car will be included and I agree with your point on that above.

Maybe you could share your story as well?

Thanks for the compliments! In regards to the quality of the build on the X I did the best I could with every capability, friend, help and input from members here I could utilize....I am not one that gets swelled nor brags but I have to say, "The damn GTX is very very nice!"

Face it this way...in my neighborhood I know roughly about 40% of my neighbors and only 4 know I have classic cars....lol....

Justin

We all have those moments:bananaweed:
Beautiful "restoration" that actually IS a restoration. I'll be turning to this thread many times in years to come. Wonderful attention to detail and many, many thanks for documenting all of this for us.

Restoring/refinishing the exhaust manifolds on these cars has always been a dilemma for me. I've thought about the treatment you gave the manifolds on your GTX: Ceramic coating followed by engine paint over parts of the manifold.

I'm wondering how the finish held up and how it looks after the engine has been run a while. I can't even decide what they DID look like on these cars after the owners drove them home from the dealership. Would you happen to have any post fire-up photos or could you kindly describe how they look now?

Thanks,
Jim

Beautiful "restoration" that actually IS a restoration. I'll be turning to this thread many times in years to come. Wonderful attention to detail and many, many thanks for documenting all of this for us.

Restoring/refinishing the exhaust manifolds on these cars has always been a dilemma for me. I've thought about the treatment you gave the manifolds on your GTX: Ceramic coating followed by engine paint over parts of the manifold.

I'm wondering how the finish held up and how it looks after the engine has been run a while. I can't even decide what they DID look like on these cars after the owners drove them home from the dealership. Would you happen to have any post fire-up photos or could you kindly describe how they look now?

Thanks,
Jim
I can probably tell ya after the trip from the dealership. Pretty good,actually; after a couple years in the "salt",not as good. BUT they were "just" exhausts back then and after a year or so the headers were bought!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Thanks for the compliments! Glad you are finding this thread helpful in relation to your restoration...

I have tried many many things on the exhaust manifolds...Each one with mixed results....The current ceramic coating is holding up well and has a more "original look" appearance. They also are coated internally all the way through....The key mistake people do is putting them on a motor and then breaking the motor in....The issue is timing is not set and one can create high than normal temperature and it will destroy the ceramic coating....

My motor was dyno tuned and then got further break in and tuning on a engine run stand prior to paint and assembly of the manifolds. Even once the motor was detailed and installed there is a process to properly "break in" the ceramic coat...They send directions with the manifolds on how to do this....

From this point we shall see how it holds up...so far so good...

They factory was a bare cast finish...They also did not use gaskets either btw....I stewed over doing the bare cast but once they rust thats it....I have heard people coating them with anti-seize to retain the original look....There are just some areas on these restorations I just don't gamble with....Bare manifolds, no manifold gaskets and natural fuel/brake lines....They can ding me all day long in those areas.......

Justin

I will take some better pics tomorrow...

IMG_1762.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back