• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's awesome! Can't wait to see the video/pics of the unveiling!

Roger

Thanks for the compliments and great to see ya too....

I booked Moms as well my friend, she has no option, lol......She will be flying in from Virginia....

Justin

I just acquired a very rare perfect NOS Radiator cap. Honestly, I didn't think I would ever find one. The OE/NOS one shown earlier lost the clear zinc finish through the years. That was due to poor storage through the years but at the time it was all I could find.

Below shows the key differences between them. The NOS has many clear obvious differences when compare to the reproduction. This is one of the few items at certain judged events they will pop off and look at the underside....

Just look at the plating difference alone.........

IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1838.JPG

Ultra rare assembly line NOS oil pan plug gasket. In over 20 years hunting parts. This is the first one I have found. The plug is rather unimportant but the gasket is in the "unobtanium" category. A very nice find indeed!

IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG

Maybe as part of your display set up you can have a parts cart beside the car making it look like it's in for service... :canada:

Maybe as part of your display set up you can have a parts cart beside the car making it look like it's in for service... :canada:
Funny things is I have enough spare NOS parts dedicated for the GTX to display it as such.

If a judge can't tell if it's legit or not while installed on the car I would keep it fresh. DON'T CRUSH IT!

If a judge can't tell if it's legit or not while installed on the car I would keep it fresh. DON'T CRUSH IT!
Certain shows they can tell.....I kinda of agree with you is it really worth damaging something that may never get replaced/reproduced.....The judges always find something so is a .5-1.0 worth wasting it...

As Wayne noted above it may be best to save it as a display item.

Certain shows they can tell.....I kinda of agree with you is it really worth damaging something that may never get replaced/reproduced.....The judges always find something so is a .5-1.0 worth wasting it...

As Wayne noted above it may be best to save it as a display item.
This is the struggle that would consume me if I owned a car of this caliber so I stick with a car not of this caliber lol. The wing center section I used on my Superbird was NOS. I gave it a coat of semi gloss Krylon and slapped it on. Struggle over!

I kinda of agree with you is it really worth damaging something that may never get replaced/reproduced.....

I'd be the type to try to find someone to start reproducing them. Many times all someone needs to make a re-pop is a good original to use as a guide. Then install the re-pop keeping the original for safe keeping...just in case.

I'll be looking though my vintage aircraft crush gasket boxes tomorrow for a dull silver one... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back