• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fantastic, absolutely first class job. Dad would be very proud...

Very impressive; your passion comes through loud and clear. Your restoration would make a great MOPAR coffee table book or even a reference book. A tribute to your father who was obviously a great one. He's up there with my mom; similar story, and lost her to cancer 12-24-2013. She fought stage 4 pancreatic cancer for 9 years without pain meds.
Mike

Thanks for taking a peek at my adventure........Your short note about your mother tells just how strong a woman she was. Even though I unfortunately didn't get a chance to meet/know her. I would like to extend my condolences to you and your family. For a son that knows the exact date and I bet the time as well, we are very similar in a lot of respects.......and deal with the same "moments"

Thanks for sharing my friend!

Justin

This is a fantastic, absolutely first class job. Dad would be very proud...
Hsorman....Thank you very much, my friend!

One day I will be able to sit down with him and tell a story about a car, his car........

Earlier in this thread I post pics of my air grabber unit and began the installation. During the install of the first piece which is the center piece it unfortunately cracked in one area. I sent it back to Air Grabber Restorations, Don Hall, and he said it was more than likely a hairline crack that presented itself during installation. These 40 plus year old units can be restored completely and during shipment they can develop cracks form being thrown around etc.. Which is why they are packed heavily but it happens unfortunately.

In the end the repaired unit and the rest of the air grabber unit installed perfectly. Center piece goes on first and then either side box next and so on. Original cable and NOS actuator cable under dash was installed and the doors function perfectly.
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1246.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG

Flywheel was surfaced and cleaned up. The crank side I coated with cosmoline and the clutch surface I used a rust preventer which will be cleaned off during install. This unit is an older aftermarket piece and it was in the car prior to disassembly. I have heard horror stories about NOS flywheels and I know where some are but I just will not risk it. The same goes for the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. I want to put it together once and eliminate headaches plus I can sleep better at night knowing this....
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

I sent my original washer sprayers out to be plated. Below is a comparison of the original to the new ones(shiny). They are not even close to the originals. The hardware and hold down clips(on the right) are not even close to the originals as well. The correct ribbed hose came from Frank Badalson.
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG

First two pics show the correct nut and lock washer for the starter relay I got back from plating. The next 3 pics show the original speedo cable/brake bracket that got on the driver inner fender. The next 3 pics I show a comparison between the original striker bolt versus the new (shiny) bolts....a big difference.....

Last two pics is a new clutch fork rod boot and it has the correct part number and DPCD logo....one of the few repop items thats correct.
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG

Original front rad support hood seal. Original clips where phosphate plated and the seal was cleaned up..
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG

some really nice work going on there J
from what i know of you, i wouldn't expect any less.
i have a nos set of washer squirters and hoses somewhere for my car
if you need some reference pics let me know.
and NO they are not for sale..lol

some really nice work going on there J
from what i know of you, i wouldn't expect any less.
i have a nos set of washer squirters and hoses somewhere for my car
if you need some reference pics let me know.
and NO they are not for sale..lol
Thanks for the compliment Frank...
Lol, You knew exactly what I would have asked and you shut it down quickly!....I would love to see a pic of your set....

I would like to compare the finish of my originals I got plated versus an NOS set finish...

i will dig them out when i get a chance.
its been so long since i looked at them
i wouldn't try to even guess the finish. give me a day or 2
a guy i knew had some bad health problems and he sold his a12 bee project off a bunch of years back
and he let me have a shopping spree thru his parts stash he had saved up for the car.
he had a lot of nos,even a nos a12 air cleaner..
he really hooked me up very well..

i will dig them out when i get a chance.
its been so long since i looked at them
i wouldn't try to even guess the finish. give me a day or 2
a guy i knew had some bad health problems and he sold his a12 bee project off a bunch of years back
and he let me have a shopping spree thru his parts stash he had saved up for the car.
he had a lot of nos,even a nos a12 air cleaner..
he really hooked me up very well..
A12 guy says enough....They always have nice parts....

Small parts in a sea of parts is like a needle in a haystack....patiently awaiting whenever you find it..

Quick question, what was the finish like on the gas tank filler neck? Thanks. The air grabber looks super!

Quick question, what was the finish like on the gas tank filler neck? Thanks. The air grabber looks super!
Tim thanks!

The filler neck was silver zinc plated....

btw you should have a package soon...

I think it is being delivered today, thank you for that!

The original matching #'s motor for the X was rebuilt by Long Racing Engines. While it was there it was broke in on their dyno. Fortuntately, we have a Mopar racing legend in our area. Whom is also a friend of mine and the owner of the machine shop. Max the owner of LRE asked me if I would have any problem with our friend to test and tune the motor at his shop. Of course, he knew my answer to that, lol...So over to his shop it went. This guy lives for this kind of stuff and has an ultimate passion for mopars, he is a true "old Schooler" and knows these engines by heart. He has ran the engine a lot and with a load on his stand to eliminate any concerns or problems.....

His name is Dave Broadnax....Enjoy...

Daves Racecar

Video comes up a private, so I can't watch it. Not sure if on my end or yours...

Works. Sounds great! More good progress on the car - you'll have it driving in no time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back